It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

motovation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Do any of you have any tips on how to motovate ones self. I know hundreds of ways to do things but for some reason I just cant feel motivated no matter what I do.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Well, I think this is going to get moved, as it has nothing to do with the paranormal, but...

Many times when you can't motivate yourself to do anything, it is related to depression or other chemical issues in the body.

When my thryoid is out of whack, I have a hard time getting off of the couch and that is with a very hyper thyroid, the same goes when it is too low(brought on by too much antithyroid drugs) I know when my thyroid is really stable, as I want to go out garden, clean the house ect; When it is messed up, I can't motivate to do anything

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Im also not too motivated when im at work. I just say fok it & crack down on what i gotta do.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have the same problem--there's tons of things that I know I could do extremely well (in my mind, at least), but I never get motivated enough to do it.

I don't know if it's depression in my case as llpoolej suggested, but I do know that there are definitely underlying psychological reasons for my lack of motivation. Two in particular stand out.

The first one (and I'm sure it's pretty common to everyone) is fear of failure. I'm sure everyone's heard the line "You can't hit the ball if you don't swing at it" or some variation. I very easily get into the mindset of "Yeah, but you won't look like an idiot when it whizzes past either." Thinking like that is a really bad habit to get into. Think about it for a while, and if that's your problem then you should try and work up the nerve to be alright with failing.

Another problem I have that might not be as common, at least not directly, is fear of repetition. Most of the stuff I like to work on--writing, music, and software programming--has a large background of ideas that have already been done, and it's every day it gets harder to come up with something new. It's hard to want to try if you're just rehashing the same old garbage that someone else has already come up with, no matter what kind of new spin you might want to put on it. That's something I haven't quite learned to deal with yet, other than just saying "screw it, I'll copy something if that's what it's going to be."

I hope this helps in some way or other. Self-motivation is probably one of the most important things anyone can learn, but also often one of the most difficult.

new topics

top topics

join