It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI@Home Classic dead???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Running SETI@home classic here, trying to maximise my WU's before the switch is finally pulled and full transition to BOINC happens.

I can still download new WU's and upload results but am becoming increasingly frustrated that stats appear to be failing to update eg ATS Team appears to have disappeared, also SETI@work site has had problems too.

Does anyone know if Simon has disbanded the Classic team or is it just SETI@home removing server support, etc (I realise that "new" members to SETI@home couldn't download the Classic version since around 22nd June, when Total users = 5 436 301).

Any thoughts please? It would be nice to know what the ATS classic "score" was ultimately. Thanks for any help or thoughts ou might have.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Its very posible that they killed parts of the old seti infrastructure when reassigning the servers for the BOINC infrastructure.

I for one still like the classic pure Seti best.
Boinc has been giving me headaches on Linux.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Thanx for the reply thematrix!

Yes, I've known (as we all have) that Classic's days are numbered and the evidence is all aound; as well as "capping" the users of classic, even the home page is revamped and stats appear very much to be aligned with BOINC.

I don't consider myself a "Luddite" by any means - I welcome change usually - but seeing classic gradually "fading away" is rather sad IMO - perhaps it is time to call it a day with classic and get BOINc installed here after all.

Thank you again thematrix - I hope your Linux problems are soon resolved!

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Just a quick update, seeing as how I started this thread:

SETI@work is now back online and shows both Classic and Boinc stats. ATS Classic stats (the URL I've given) ows that total results at Fri Jul 8 10:00:05 2005 UTC are:

372 959 WU's

Good job! I'm sure you will all give thanx to Jing Wee (who runs the SETI@work site) for all his dedication, expertise and patience in getting the site up and running.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I was a loyal users of classic, but I just don't like to boinc seti. It takes up too many resources on older pcs (1-2gig with 512 or less ram). And, the interface is unwieldy, and I could never figure out how to use it only as a screensaver.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulforge
I was a loyal users of classic, but I just don't like to boinc seti. ...

hi soulforge!

Well, i have no experience whatsoever with BOINC, although will move over when the inevitable shutdown of Classic happens. Not sure at this moment which program i will run: whilst I find SETI absorbing, I like the choice available from BOINC and will consider carefully which to run!!

However, lots of BOINC ATS users I think - perhaps someone from the team can contact Jing Wee andask for the ATS Boinc team to be listed??

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
BOINC was the only reason that made me quit SETI@home after some 5 years with SETI@home classic, because BOINC had the habit of blocking my computer when it tried to access the Internet to upload the results.

Also, not one of the responses about this problem in the BOINC site cured the problem, so I considered that if that think that BOINC is better even if there are so many problems, maybe they don't need our help after all, and so I quited.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
and I've never had a problem, the program will constantly download, process and then upload files. Bionic on the other hand never seems to be able to make contact on a consistant basis......I run both ~24 hrs a day.........

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
My thoughts on Seti@Bonic.....

As for myself, I will run Seti Classic as long as it's possible. Once they pull it then I'll have to say "it was a fun ride" and go my way. I tried Bonic for afew days and removed it from my hard drive and went back to Seti Classic.
I found Bonic with to many bugs., taking longer to complete WUs and difficult to exchange WUs, besides I did not like the new screen page and screen saver.

Why is it when something works well.......is not broken, someone has to screw with it? Anyway I look for the number of users to drop off as users become fustrated.

fum

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i miss the old seti this crap they call seti now is a worthless piece of caca

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Why so much hate for BOINC? I 've never had problems with it on winXP. Its only taking up about 15MB hard disk space, and if you set it to cache units it doesn't matter about the server is sometimes down.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join