It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm/Hurricane Dennis

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The governor issued a state of emergency yesterday, to stop gouging...but no doubt, it will happen. (and some heavy new penalties for it btw...)

Just heard reports of some tornadoes in our city earlier....

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'm ating for it to make that northern jog. Its tstill headed well west...

LIke I've ben saying all along I don't feel these "Steering currwents" are that strong

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Pics are up!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Worldwatcher, yes, that was the same band....nastiest one yet.
I'm starting to wonder if that sound that woke us up was a nearby tornado, vs. a gust...

So far, the news isn't reporting that much damage in our area, but this is the worst I've had from these storms so far... Lets hope it's all that happens.....

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Latest update:

NOAA NHC....

AT 11 AM EDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE DENNIS WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 24.7 NORTH... LONGITUDE 83.8 WEST OR ABOUT 125
MILES...WEST OF KEY WEST FLORIDA. THIS IS ALSO ABOUT 355 MILES...
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF APALACHICOLA FLORIDA AND ABOUT 480 MILES
SOUTHEAST OF PASCAGOULA MISSISSIPPI.

DENNIS IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 14 MPH...22 KM/HR... AND
THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TODAY WITH A GRADUAL TURN
TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 100 MPH...160 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. DENNIS IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. SOME GRADUAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 35 MILES... 55 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 175 MILES...280 KM.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 967 MB...28.56 INCHES.

DENNIS IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8
INCHES ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN FLORIDA PENINSULA...THE
FLORIDA KEYS...THE FLORIDA WEST COAST...THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE...
SOUTHERN ALABAMA...AND SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI. ADDITIONAL RAIN
ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS CENTRAL CUBA...
WHICH COULD PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES.

STORM SURGE WILL GRADUALLY DECREASE ALONG THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS
TODAY AND TONIGHT. A STORM SURGE OF 3 TO 5 FEET IS POSSIBLE ALONG
THE SOUTHWEST COAST OF FLORIDA TODAY AND TONIGHT. A STORM SURGE OF
8 TO 10 FEET IS POSSIBLE ALONG AND TO THE RIGHT OF WHERE THE CENTER
OF DENNIS CROSSES THE NORTHEASTERN GULF COAST ON SUNDAY.

ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN
FLORIDA PENINSULA AND THE FLORIDA KEYS TODAY...AND ACROSS THE
FLORIDA PANHANDLE TONIGHT AND SUNDAY.

Still a Category 2 storm, and possible strengthening...(I believe the pressure dropped a bit...since the last update). Already seeing some pics out of the Keys.... Pretty nasty... I'm thinking what hit me this morning was a spawned micro-tornado around 5am, as the damage seems localized to about 4 houses.... There are some other things that would have been blown around nearby if a gust, but they weren't touched...

Almost the entire state is in a tornado warning right now, my area till 1am...

EDIT: not much has changed other than position....as of the 2pm advisory...it's tightening up though....

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is going to be a really bad cane. People in my area "Jackson, Ms" say the hotels are almost full and shelters are filling up fast too. For those that may have friends and family having a hard time finding a place to wait this storm out u2u me. My family and friends have some room left and will be more than happy to help any family in need at this time.
May God be with all of you in the path of this monster. Your all in my prayers.
Take care,
krt

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
not much has changed other than position....as of the 2pm advisory...it's tightening up though....

Yes it is.
I susupect it'll be back up to a Cat 3 very soon. It's definately becoming more and more organized.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE
THAT THE CENTRAL PRESSURE OF DENNIS HAS FALLEN RAPIDLY TO 947 MB.
DENNIS HAS REGAINED DANGEROUS MAJOR HURRICANE STATUS...CATEGORY 3
ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE...WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS OF 115 MPH. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE EVEN MORE THIS
EVENING. (unable to uncaplock)
Ok, guys and gals in florida,louisiana, I hope your all bunkered down in a safe place. Looks like this ones reorganising itself, could quite easily be a Cat 5 by landfall. I guess get some good supplies and adaquet heating gear, I would of thought a large % could be out of power for some time. Stay safe guys.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
here in New Orleans we are starting to get some nice breeze.. We got a good 20 mph wind going on.

PReasure has droped over here also....

One of the feeder bands is about to slam us.... so We ought to start geting rain and wind soon..

I'm still saying this thing is going to .... (drum roll)

Gulfport MS.

The huricane has never taken its big northen jog.

Its bueatiful BTW

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

could quite easily be a Cat 5 by landfall.

Not "easily".
No storm can "easily" be a cat 5. There's a lot of things that factor in a storm becoming a cat 5 than just warm water (there's a reason why cat 5s are so rare). The upper level winds, it's proximity to land, has it made landfall already?, etc.
Look at past storms. Hurricane Andew hit as a 5, one of the strongest storms in Atlantic history. Yet when it went back over water, it didn't regain all it's strength back. The same with Gilbert after it went back over water. Dennis wasn't nearly as deep or as strong as those storms at it's peak, so if they couldn't do it....it's highly unlikely for Dennis to do it.
But with all that being said.......anything is possible and hurricanes are very unpredictable.
Look at the lastest sats of this nearly perfect monster, I'm think it'll be a solid cat 4 by the time it hits land (135-145 mph). Extremely dangerous.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
just for fun...

calm before the storm....

and this was hurricane IVAN last year....

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

could quite easily be a Cat 5 by landfall.

Not "easily".
No storm can "easily" be a cat 5. There's a lot of things that factor in a storm becoming a cat 5 than just warm water (there's a reason why cat 5s are so rare). The upper level winds, it's proximity to land, has it made landfall already?, etc.
Look at past storms. Hurricane Andew hit as a 5, one of the strongest storms in Atlantic history. Yet when it went back over water, it didn't regain all it's strength back. The same with Gilbert after it went back over water. Dennis wasn't nearly as deep or as strong as those storms at it's peak, so if they couldn't do it....it's highly unlikely for Dennis to do it.
But with all that being said.......anything is possible and hurricanes are very unpredictable.
Look at the lastest sats of this nearly perfect monster, I'm think it'll be a solid cat 4 by the time it hits land (135-145 mph). Extremely dangerous.

The prediction I saw forecast either a Cat4-5 hurricane by landful, hence why i said it could easily be a Cat5.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
WHEN IS IT GOING TO GO NORTH!!!!!

THATS THE MISSISSIPPI DELTA IN THE TOP LEFT CORRNER!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ok, I have a question for all of y'all who have been through this before. My cousin is up here (in Missouri) visiting. She is planning to head back to her home town of Dothan Alabama, Monday. Should I try to get her to wait a day before heading back? I think Dothan is about an hour drive from the coast. I am naturally a worry wart, but it sounds like this thing is going to be worse than Ivan and hit them more directly. I would really like to get an honest opinion from those who have been throught this before. Do I have good reason to worry about her heading back?

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Mrs D, if she is in a safe place let her stay and see what daylight brings after the impact, then perhaps she can head home. People really should NOT be travelling on the roads until officials give the all clear.

Gazrok, how are you holding up?

And the rest of you, about to meet Dennis, if you feel unsafe in your structure and still have time to evacuate, do so!!!

We've had no significant rain in Broward county since the early morning squall that did most of the damage and woke everyone up passed thru, but the winds are still gusting out there. If you are in the direct path of the core of tropical force winds, remember it is "sustained" meaning there's no break in it till its over which can be many many hours.

BTW... 11PM Advisory

www.nhc.noaa.gov...
DENNIS IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 14 MPH. A GRADUAL TURN
TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
THIS MOTION WILL BRING THE CENTER OF DENNIS ACROSS THE NORTHERN
GULF COAST ON SUNDAY.

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 125 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THIS
MAKES DENNIS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST BEFORE LANDFALL...AND DENNIS IS
EXPECTED TO BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE LATER TONIGHT OR ON
SUNDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE
CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230
MILES. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH DENNIS MAY OCCUR AS
FAR AS 150 TO 175 MILES INLAND ALONG THE TRACK OF THE HURRICANE.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY THE HURRICANE HUNTER
IS 941 MB...27.79 INCHES.

STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 14 TO 17 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...
ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...IS POSSIBLE
NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE CENTER OF DENNIS CROSSES THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST ON SUNDAY. STORM SURGE WILL GRADUALLY DECREASE
ALONG THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS TONIGHT. A STORM SURGE OF 2 TO 4 FEET
IS POSSIBLE ALONG THE SOUTHWESTERN COAST OF FLORIDA TONIGHT AND
SUNDAY MORNING.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Apparently at least 10 people have been killed by Dennis in Cuba and at least 22 in Haiti, bringing the deathtoll up to 32. 700,000 have been urged to evacuate Florida and 500,000 urged to evacuate Alabama and Mississippi.

News.com.au: 1m told to move as Dennis nears

AUTHORITIES have urged more than a million people to evacuate as Hurricane Dennis approaches low-lying coastal areas of Florida, Alabama and Mississippi after killing at least 32 people in Cuba and Haiti.

Florida Governor Jeb Bush urged people to heed evacuation orders or advice given out to 700,000 people in the state.

Authorities in Alabama and Mississippi called for more than 500,000 people to leave their homes in vulnerable areas.

"It felt as if the world was coming to an end," said Maria Helena, a housewife in Cienfuegos. "The hurricane sounded like helicopters and planes flying over my home."

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I just said we had no significant rain since this morning and what goes and happen??

This feeder band popped up out of nowhere. Raining buckets now, looks fast moving though.
external image

[edit on 7-9-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
We've been getting constant rain and winds here... Some gusts clocked at 60mph...even! So far, I haven't seen any above (estimate) 35mph or so...but very constant during this last band... Lots of tornado reports... Still fine though....was just at a friends house for a few hours (only a couple blocks away)...

She is planning to head back to her home town of Dothan Alabama, Monday. Should I try to get her to wait a day before heading back? I think Dothan is about an hour drive from the coast. I am naturally a worry wart, but it sounds like this thing is going to be worse than Ivan and hit them more directly. I would really like to get an honest opinion from those who have been throught this before. Do I have good reason to worry about her heading back?

Being battened down in a house is one thing, driving in it is quite another. On my way home, I went through 3 traffic lights that weren't working (treat as a 4 way stop, for those who don't know)... I've driven in these before, it's no picnic, but doable for those who know what to expect (lots of road debris). I'd HIGHLY advise she wait and see, before driving near a Cat 3 landfalling hurricane.... Once it hits tomorrow, and then weakens to a Cat 1 hurricane, maybe THEN even think about it... Otherwise, she could get more than she bargained for, even if it's only being stuck in traffic due to a downed powerline or something....

EDIT: It's back up to a Cat 4 now.....

[edit on 10-7-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
As mentioned the storm is once again a cat 4. With approximately 18 hours left until landfall it is POSSIBLE the storm could reach cat 5 strength. Right now the storm has sustained winds of 135mph but the key is the low pressure of 27.67" . When I checked the stats this morning the pressure was in the area of 28.50". This represents an incredible drop for less than 24 hours. To put this in perspective hurricane Andrew had a low of 922mb. This storm is at 937 right now. It could potentially be as strong as Andrew by landfall. At this point the only thing that can prevent that is the fact that Cindy was in the area only a week ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Looking at the latest satellite images and water vapor images there may be some good news for FL and AL. It looks as if the western edge of the storm is sucking in some dry air which may cap the growth of the storm or perhaps even weaken it a bit before landfall. But make no mistake it will be a major hurricane.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Looks like it's going to be a Cat 5. Pressure is dropping. Looks like landfall in about 12-16 hours. It's 6am now. Landfall beteen 6pm - 10pm, I would say.

There is some moisture being pulled from the caribbean but the large parts appear too far away. Still, with storm surge and tornados, this is not going to be fun for anyone in it's path.

EAST SIDE OF STORM:
STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 14 TO 19 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join