It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm/Hurricane Dennis

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Key West Inclement Weather

3:33 PM EST

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If it makes you feel any better, my area is so safe, there's a shelter across the street, hehe....

Last year, had relatives and friends stay with me for two different storms (they had to evacuate)...

Trust me...nobody here treats a Cat 4 storm lightly....

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Cuba is getting pounded...

Check this update from NOAA....(and they finally have the 2pm advisory up)

WTNT64 KNHC 081910
TCUAT4
HURRICANE DENNIS TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
310 PM EDT FRI JUL 08 2005

REPORTS FROM THE CUBAN METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE AND CIVIL DEFENSE
THROUGH HAM RADIO OPERATORS INDICATE A WIND GUST TO 149 MPH
OCCURRED AT CIENFUEGOS CUBA AROUND 130 PM EDT. MORE THAN 85 PERCENT OF THE POWERLINES WERE DOWN AND EXTENSIVE DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED TO THE COMMUNICATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE.

FORECASTER STEWART

It may be a while before we know how badly Cuba fared during this one...

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Glad to hear this Gazrok

I hope everyone else in line has a similar emergency retreat. At the moment it looks to be tracking straight on New Orleans, flooding could be just as much a danger as the winds there I would assume. Hopefully it wont be too bad, but like I said, I have a feeling this could be a monster.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Looks like I could be out of the picture... but I'm droping my gaurd yet.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There are 3 things that will keep Dennis from becoming a cat 5.

1. It is currently over land.
2. It is moving at 17mph (closing speed to gulf coast too fast)
3. Water temps are only 84 to 85.

While its possible to reach cat 5 it is unlikely. Regenerating to a cat 4 may be tough. Also keep in mind the NHC is fudging on wind speeds as well. They are notorious for doing that. This storm was supposed to have 150mph sustained winds yet the highest reported wind speed from Cuba is 149mph gust. You are looking at a storm with sustained winds probably in the area of 130 at the time of landfall and not 150. But this storm also looks to hit the exact same spot Ivan hit and it won't take much to cause great problems there.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

[edit on 7-8-2005 by ShadowHasNoSource]

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Good Luck to everybody in Dennis' path

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Good Luck to everybody in Dennis' path

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Getting our first feeder band here in the Tampa area... Some pretty intense rain, and already some reported gusts around 40mph...and that's with it pretty far away...

We're now in a Tropical Storm Warning, and we've got another band coming in pretty soon (moving west from Brandon).

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Everyone in the path stay safe and dry -- hopefully the hurricane tips came in handy to you all. Have played that waiting game way to many times -- it isn't fun. Thoughts and Prayers going out for you all......

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The squally rainbands have started coming in. I had to take a quick trip out to Weston around 6pm and this was the first feeder band I encountered.
Heading to I-75
external image

external image

On I-75 Heading South from Fort Lauderdale, difficult driving but it was quick moving and we were out of it soon.
external image

[edit on 7-8-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just heard on Global World News, that the infamous guard tower at Gitmo as been destroyed by Hurricane Dennis. Wonder how the prisoners faired.
Praying for the people of Cuba and the potenial victims is the USA.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
HAVE THE FORCASTERS BEEN DRINKING AND MIXING DRUGS!?!?!?

From the looks if it, it looks from the rader here on the tv that the canadian model is happening. The candian model indicated and entire gulf coast hit having the hurricane stay half way on land and half way off.

My grandma woke me up a minute ago saying its awfully windy. A check of the radar shows were already brushed by it.

Gazrok, Stay safe. Ill try to U2U you when this is over to make sure a fellow ats'er is safe.

(Praying for a shift very soon).

P.S. Models still indicate its going to shift. We will see.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Just heard on Global World News, that the infamous guard tower at Gitmo as been destroyed by Hurricane Dennis. Wonder how the prisoners faired.

Do you have a link for this? From what I've read the Guantanamo Bay base is fine, and really wasn't close to where the eye hit Cuba.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
We're getting a VERY strong band right now, and just had a large gust (no estimate, as I was inside, but it was right up there with the biggest I've ever heard during such storms). Quieter now, just a lot of rain still happening.....

I'm glad this storm seems to be doing what they said...

Last report was Cat 1, 90mph, but now over the water....still on the NW heading, and same strike cone showing....

EDIT: HOLY #!!! I knew that gust was big, and LOUD, but NO idea!!! I just looked outside, and I've got a downed tree (neighbors, now hanging over the fence, and completely in my yard), sheared large branches all over the place, about 8' of fence gone (other side of yard), and our front wooden fence is damaged (about a 20' section)....

Will have some pics when it gets light....

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Dennis restrengthening, now at 105mph, Cat 2.
Gusts as high as 50mph in my area now as a squall band comes through....

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
We woke up around 5am to extremely heavy rain and gusty winds. The feeder band has past us and I believe it could have been the same band that affected you Gaz. Looking outside, we have branches down, but so far everything is holding up pretty well.

Stay safe all, don't go out unless it's an absolute necessity.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by valkeryie

Do you have a link for this? From what I've read the Guantanamo Bay base is fine, and really wasn't close to where the eye hit Cuba.

Sorry no link, just a reporter talking on the phone about how much damage was being done.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
``

there's plenty of reports of winds & squalls getting increasingly severe,

But, what about updates on the other parts of the storm...

like the price gougers and such that appear in the lead path of the storm
(offering $10 bags of ice, 10X$ MSRP for plywood & generators etc...)

and then, keep us apprised of the scamers, opportunists, fake contractors, which thrive in the wake of the storm damage,
as a Hurricane is partly a meteorlogical event
and partly a socio-economic event.

wishing the best of all outcomes for ya'll

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join