The problem with Transhumanism is that it requires artificial intelligence to get beyond a certain point. Certainly for the ramp up period envisioned
(which is the Singularity) more powerful AI is required. AI needs computer vision in order to move past the block its at now. This is because all
dynamic and reactive systems need to be placed in an environment richer than they are so that they may learn. So, I see Transhumanism flowering
something like this:
1. 2005/2006 - Primitive Computer Vision algorithms enable consistent scene segmentation in natural and man made environments and combinations
2. 2006/2007 - Reactive Behaviorism-based robots are capable of walking to one point to another point (succeeding in a humanoid form of the Grand
Challenge Race). The Grand Challenge Race is won that same year, as well.
3. 2008 - Driod patrolling robots are deployed in Iraq and around the world. These are simple patrolling robots and roam around and fire when shot at.
Medical imaging technology improves with gains found in visual segmentation algorithms. Several advances in clustering and information theory develop
4. 2009 - Seeing that still a crucial element is lacking, various scientists (Chinese?) incorporate various circuitry in mammals to decode and
generalize the neuron electric stream. Hopefully the results are shared or published.
5. 2011 - A way to modulate and transfer information to clusters of neurons is developed. Work is done in neuron cluster systems that utilize various
"input" modules to receive information about the world. While these systems are very powerful and autonomous, they do not have self awareness. By
now robots based on neuron and input interfaces staff McDonalds and various other jobs. The economy enters a depression. Education becomes more
6. 2012 - Experiments are done with implanting chunks of "input" module trained neurons into animals fetus. These animals can manipulate and utilize
various information streams; of course these streams must be fixed in their reality, meaning they have to affect things. Dogs are hooked up to the
stock market via a pain center and given a means of simple investing and selling. The ones that survive are bred. Other animals are used for other
purposes. Jay Leno jokes about being replaced by a rat. The following week he is fired and replaced by a comedian dog.
7. 2012 - Someone violates the Geneva convention, or has been, and reports exist of strange people (perhaps Chinese?) with various implants. utilizing
additional brain cultures are possible, like extra memory. A tiny metal based high speed replica of neuron systems enables rapid computation, which
then "dumps" the results in the humans brain for processing. This prevents biological neuron burn out. These kinds of systems are more easily used
by those exposed to pre-treated brain cultures in the fetus. But normal people can utilize them as well, resulting in an non-linear IQ boost (the
dumber you are the dumber you end up being in the end). Several prominent scientists can no longer communicate due to neuronal overload.
Once people use their cognitive modules more than their brain (a hard habit to break) transhumanism truly begins. I would predict at this point things
like group consciousness and so forth. AI is never fully realized. Instead it served as a catalyst for machine integration into humans and thereby
increasing their abilities to transhuman levels.
The crucial key for humanity is to counterbalance its enormous investment in calculation. As things continue, the human race converges into a global
whispering mind. Empathy and care for the common man increase. As the Race converges into a distributed intelligence people begin to lose personality
and drive. Needless to say, people do not give a # about anything very much anymore.
What have we gained? What have we lost?
For list of various results, see: www.aleph.se...
Hope my predictions have been entertaining.
[edit on 18-7-2005 by ktprktpr]