It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq to be the next world power??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This is something I've been thinking about for a while, so I'd be interested in your thoughts, to see if my thinking is highly flawed.

Do you think that it's possible that in say, the next 50 years that Iraq could be the next world power.

Take for example Japan. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki was bombed, the US put a lot of money back into the rebuilding of Japan. It's grown very successfully especially in regard to technology etc. It miles ahead of the rest of the countries on Earth.

Now, considering the war in Iraq, and the fact that Iraq is one of the major oil producing countries out there, do you think it's possible, that if the US puts a load of money into rebuilding Iraq that in a few decades it could become the next world power, especially with controlling the major source of the the Earth's fuel?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Sure, it's possible, but I doubt it. The country has a lot of catching up to do in regards to education, infrastructure etc. I would imagine that it will take years and years for the country to just reach some form of basic stability. And even though the country may have, or has, huge oil reserves, I don't think that alone will allow the country to become a major world power. Look at some of the other countries that have huge oil reserves. They have had that oil for years and most would not consider them super powers.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthNug
This is something I've been thinking about for a while, so I'd be interested in your thoughts, to see if my thinking is highly flawed.

Do you think that it's possible that in say, the next 50 years that Iraq could be the next world power.

EarthNug, i don't your thinking is highly flawed at all. But it would involve the whole middle east, and this 'status' would most likely be by default from present day superpowers. It's a long time-frame.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCFusion
Sure, it's possible, but I doubt it. The country has a lot of catching up to do in regards to education, infrastructure etc. I would imagine that it will take years and years for the country to just reach some form of basic stability.

Contrary to popular opinion, Iraq was quite advanced in terms of education, infrastructure etc. It is the cradle of civilization after all. And women enjoyed more rights than anywhere in the middle east. Since the invasion all that has been destroyed and yet it will take a lot of time to reach basic stability.

Another thing that Iraq has besides oil (and it is believed that Iraq has more than Saudi Arabia) which no one talks about it something we really cannot live without - water! From the Tigrus and Euphrates...and deep, deep beneath the surface.

Suddenly thirsty...off to get a drink.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Another thing that Iraq has besides oil (and it is believed that Iraq has more than Saudi Arabia) which no one talks about it something we really cannot live without - water! From the Tigrus and Euphrates...and deep, deep beneath the surface.

Suddenly thirsty...off to get a drink.

Very very very good point. Water is likely to become a much more important natural resource in the future.

The only thing I think Iraq has going for it now is a chance at democracy. That is the only thing it was missing before. Saddam did in fact help Iraq to become a jewel in the middle east but then he squandered it by attacking Iran and then Kuwait. Saddam crushed the will of the people with brutal tactics and ruined the very "jewel" he was trying to create.

Now, with a shot a democratic rule, large oil reserves, potentially very large argriculture growth, and the ability to provide clean water, Iraq has a real chance of making it to it's full potential. Whatever that is.

I don't know what the future holds for Iraq, no one does, but they have the natural resources to sustain a healthy nation for quite a long time.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
i think ya gotta look at population hear people
all the superpowers have been at the time very populous countries
like germany, it had like 65 or something million people, russia 150 million us 320 million, ect (these just of top of head).

Iraq has under 25 million i think. to have enough people in the armed forces to make it a super power, would draw a whole lot of people out of the civil work force, and a stong industrial base is another hall mark of the powers. iraq i dont think will be much more than what it was.
but first, thanx to america, it has to get back up to what it used to be

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
they might become a good country like technology wise and that but they wont have nothing against the new world order all the countries that are against the colliotion (USA, AUSTRALIA and ENGLAND) will fall.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Maybe if a long time from now was to re-unite itself with Kuwait that would help. After all the country was created by British colonial rule in i think 1921 (or there about’s) and its borders were deliberately established to include as much of Iraq's oil wealth as possible. It was done as part of the "divide and rule" policy popular at the time.
Did you know that before the "Summer Protocol" (not sure about spelling") which defined Kuwait’s borders, Kuwait had been part of Iraq for over 5200 years. In fact Kuwait’s earlist history goes back to 1710 before that it was just another part of Iraq. Don't believe me? Look up the history of Kuwait!

Problem with reuniting Kuwait (apart from annoying America) is the Kuwaitis like being Kuwaitis because they are richer not sharing what would be Iraq's oil. And of course now they have other reasons too! Still if Iraq could get Kuwait back it would be stronger enough to take Saudi Arabia, and then a whole chain reaction could start.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

Problem with reuniting Kuwait (apart from annoying America) is the Kuwaitis like being Kuwaitis because they are richer not sharing what would be Iraq's oil. And of course now they have other reasons too! Still if Iraq could get Kuwait back it would be stronger enough to take Saudi Arabia, and then a whole chain reaction could start.

let the Kuwaitis to decide if they want to be part of Iraq or not. America had nothing to do with it, until Saddam decided to invade it by force, i wonder why?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The whole thing about Saddam running his country so wonderfully was only true for about the first ten years of his rule. The infastructure began to fall apart due to his own neglect. Iraqis are very well educated, they had to be or they would have been imprisioned. They had one of the highest (if not the highest) literacy rates in the world because of this policy.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think Iraq has the potential to become a world power, but it would take at least 50-100 years. Theses things don’t happen over night, takes a long time to change. They really won’t be able to start to rebuild their lives until the US leaves. By the US being there they have increased the instability of the country and getting Iraqi civilians and US soldiers killed or injured.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCFusion
Sure, it's possible, but I doubt it. The country has a lot of catching up to do in regards to education, infrastructure etc. I would imagine that it will take years and years for the country to just reach some form of basic stability. And even though the country may have, or has, huge oil reserves, I don't think that alone will allow the country to become a major world power.

Why not? Look at the Sauds. 100 years ago they were nomadic desert dwellers. Oil made that nation the powerhouse it is today. Iraq is already educated and their infrastructure is leagues ahead of the Saudis before their oil boom. It won't take long for Iraq to be top three in the Middle East.

[edit on 15-8-2005 by vincere7]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Dont doubt Iraq as a future world power. Prior to the Gulf War they had the 4th largest army in the world. They are highly advanced, many are very westernized and they now have the support of the West. Their rise to a world power equivelant to Japan is probably more likely than on pace with China or the US.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yes right up to but not beyond running out of gas.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sure, it is very possible. any country the US help, support and allie of it came out in the end really strong, like japan for example or germany today who we help rebuild after WWII. But i don't know about being a goble superpower, but with the help of USA they can become a regional superpower in the future.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Im not sure I understand what you mean by "World Power". Do you mean Super Power? Because Japan and Germany post-WW2 have only been regional powers.

Japanese influence in Europe? I cant see it.
German influence in Asia? I cant see it.

Iraq influence in the Middle East in the near future? Definately
Iraq influence in Asia in the future? I cant see it.

I'd say Iraq will be the regional power in the next 20 years.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
i meant at the time when these countries were the superpowers, germany in 1930-40, russia though 50-90, usa from 50- now, japan 30-40,
and china emerging.

they all have (had)huge numbers of people, and produced all there own stuff
can iraq do that?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You still can't buy a drink in Iraq. Theys got 100 billion barrels of this oil and lots of land for sale. If I were you, I'd jump into this business quick.

EDIT: My money is on UAE (tourism) and Qatar (half the world's exports of natural gas and 10% of all world's natural gas) which is twice the size of Rhode Island.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
In hindsight we should have let Saddam conquer Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and UAE. He would then have control of 3/4 of the world's then known oil reserves and probably would have sold the oil off cheaper than what the Saudis are.

top topics

join