It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: London To Host The 2012 Olympics!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
After the elimination of Moscow, New York, Madrid and Paris, London has been chosen to host the 2012 olympics. The decision was announced at 12:46pm by the IOC from Singapore.

www.sky.com
Against all the odds, London has beaten Paris to win its bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

The two cities went head-to-head after Moscow, New York and Madrid dropped out in the first three rounds of voting.

Big-hitters such as British Prime Minister Tony Blair, France's President Jacques Chirac and US Senator Hillary Clinton were all in Singapore to promote their bids.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Would i love to have seen the look on Chiracs face at 12:46 today!!!

Go on London!

This is excellent news for Britain, it will bring alot of tourism and money to some much needed areas of London!

[edit on 6-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 7-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Excellent news for London and Britain in general.

One more thing.........Britain 1 France 0.....

Oh how happy am i, tough luck Chirac.....

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
President Jacques Chirac has taken another blow and another defeat. Maybe he should learn to keep his mouth shut in future?

Glad to see London got it, best go by my ticket to the Olympics as soon as they're out so I can go see it. Happy that London has this, it'll help bring even more trade and tourism to the area. It is one of the many things that we need - really is.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
it didn't seem to be an economic boost to athens.....
glad NY didn't get it!! they need to spend their billions on fixing up their schools.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Does anyone think that the IOC's decision was swayed by Chiracs comments yesterday???

Im so chuffed

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
There's a large difference between Athens and London, London already has the roads and buildings there. They won't have to spend millions on re-doing the interior of London to allow for that much traffic - plus the fact they already have the congestion charge in place to cut down on traffic, etc, even further. (also I can't find anything saying they lost money, got a link?)

As for what President Jacques Chirac said, it probably did. He made nothing more than comments you would expect a bigot to come out with just because he thought it was off air. Makes you/them wonder what else he said while off camera about the Olympics, Britain, America, list goes on.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
"Those who pay the bills might argue that it’s not.

If that lesson was learned anywhere, it was in Greece – where seven years before the Games, the cost to host the Olympics was estimated at $1.3 billion. When the actual detailed planning was done, the price had jumped to $5.3 billion.

By the time the Games were over, Greece had spent $14.2 billion, pushing the country’s budget deficit to record levels. Athens got some new roads out of the deal, but now finds itself stuck with world-class venues that have largely been gathering dust since the Games.

Anyone need a rowing facility cheap?

The cities bidding for 2012, of course, say that can’t happen in their hometowns. Their operating budgets are mostly projected to be in the area of $2.5 billion to $3 billion, and in New York, city and state taxpayers are on the hook for only $250 million of any shortfall.

From there, the accounting gets a bit more tricky. New York is forecasting spending another $7.6 billion on infrastructure costs."

www.fortwayne.com...

the new york state legislatures, over the years have managed to set up this nice little scheme to skirt the state constitution through various venues like the port authority and rack up an amazing amount of debt through is has been referred to as "sluch funds", I've tried to track down just how much that stadium they wanted to build in NY would have cost, as well as other projects that is wouldn't have been contingent on....
and well, where this money was coming from. it would have easily racked up about a billion in debt, funneled through these barely legal if they are legal slush funds....
I am glad we didn't get it!

[edit on 6-7-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Yes but Greece werent exactly the best planned people were they?

They nearly couldnt host the Olympics because they were so backward in their planning!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
But most of the things they had to build, we already have in London and the near by area. Also that article gave no sources on how much Athens earned and/or spent, but how much he said was spent.

I doubt London's Mayor would have put London forward, if he thought it would cost Billions more than they would earn.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
WAHHOOO!!!

i didnt care who won aslong as it wasn't the French

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
*REPEATS WHAT INFINITE SAID!!!!!*

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This is great news for the East end of London,

This will be great for Sports and great news for the children who will have something to look forward to and aspire too,

Against all the odds, London has beaten Paris to win the bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

As soon as the decision was announced, the thousands that had gathered in Trafalgar Square erupted into cheers and screams of delight.

Tony Blair, speaking at the G8 summit in Gleneagles, said: "It's not often in this job that you punch the air, dance a little jig and embrace the person next to you."

www.sky.com...

[edit on 6-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Can you say......"only for mad cow", Chirac!?

Great news.
I am actually hoping that I will be able to go to London to watch some of those scheduled Olympic events.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'll be moving to London in 2010, so I'll hopefully be able to catch a lot of the games in between working as a Barrister if all goes to plan. It'll be a good event, London has a great atmosphere. A lot better than Paris, which has some bloody-awful road laws and law enforcement.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I hope john titor is fake cuz the last olypmics held according to him is in 2004.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Let me be the first one to say I am glad it is EU that is hosting the 2012 Olympics.

Hopefully by the year 2012, such petty things like ultra-nationalist and overly patriotic bickering will be eradicated, people will stop bashing entire nations because of one politician who is not much liked at home either and we will all be able to properly enjoy the games.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
great news! I wouldn't have minded any decision as long as it wasn't Moscow. Londown and Paris are 2 hours by train and if it had been New York I would have had an excuse to go home that summer. heh

anyone got a link to the overall figures of what Athens did spend/gain?

[edit on 6.7.2005 by jnkhampton]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Great news
i like that it's close to my country this could be my 2nd olympics, last time was in Barcelona, Spain.

i seriously don't know what the French ever did to piss of you guys so much, could anyone inform me about that ?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm happy for London, they obviously had a very good organization.

To the Paris people, job well done, they should definitely get them in 2016 or 2020.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It won't go to another European Nation straight after London, they like to bounce it about a bit so it goes around most of the World. Especially since we'll have then had it in Europe 3 out of the 5 last times if they did that.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join