It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The concept of Time just Made UP?!?!?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think the reason there are so many different points of views is because this thread is labeled wrong. It shouldn't be about time being made up, but about the insignificance of time. Ok, time exists technically in a way, after something happens time will go on and on forever and ever making the significance of that moment in time less and less until it is infinitely small, and because the universe is infinitely long this same occurrence will happen over and over with every moment forever. Everyone is so used to the concept of time that they say "Well if earth wasn't here, I could still sit there and count minutes and hours because time would still be passing.

This whole thing is hard to explain without looking at it abstractly. Just imagine being an observer in a far off galaxy. Forget the fact that you know anything about time and measuring time. The big thing here which I keep mentioning is the infinite span of the universe. Now you could sit there for 80 million years, and say well 80 million years have passed. But that is using a measurement and using a random starting point of whenever you started counting. Now if you had an infinite life span along with the universe and had no concept of time, things wouldnt appear to happen in certain amounts of time, they would just happen. That asteroid coming towards you and then hitting your hand would be something that just happened against the infinite backdrop of the length of the universe.

You shouldn't even say the universe has an infinite length. The universe is just existing, always has been, always will be.

FOREVER!

There, I tried to explain how I see it, even though I sometimes sound like a schitzophrenic.

[edit on 7/13/2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I don't feel that someone thinking about what once was (their hand being there) shows any bit of Time what so ever. this is just memory, a feature humans happen to be pretty good at using...if memory is your theory on why past (time) exists then please explain to me...does that mean a goldfish doesnt exist in this (timed world) i mean for sure gold fish have almost no memory what so ever...and also many animals and creatures and plants for instance have no memory at all. so again, the concept of time only exist in human earthlings. no where else other then earth.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join