It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 second to be added in the year 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
WOW the tsunami really did disturbed the earth's rotation
here is the link livescience.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Oh, nice... now I can surf on ATS one second longer...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
whooppie. 1 second wow. i have probbaly wasted more than 2 seconds of ur life, just by u reading this.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
FYI - said nothing about Tsunami in that link....

Leap seconds get added as needed via drag from moon, internal flows and mass increases. This isn't a static ball of dirt - we get a bunch of space debris adding to our mass every second of every day....

Maybe it's HAARP..??

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
wowieeeeeeeeeeee

1 whole extra second????? WHAT can i do with all this spare time!!

angie

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is really nothing too uncommon. You can see in the article that there have been 23 leap seconds in the past 35 years.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
you mean....
im like.....7 seconds younger than i thought i was???? KWEL!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Maybe it's HAARP..??

That's a good way to get smacked, hehe...

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Its not just because of the tsunami. The Earth rotates on an axis, and orbits the sun. Gravity might be a constant, but outside forces are known to slow the planets orbit and rotation. Adding a second has been suggested before the tsunami.

Even so, there is no way to prevent an earthquake from happening. Bitching about an extra second seem pointless to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yep, just in the right places the earth gets occasional tugs there and tugs there, it for the most part evens out. In the article, it said the moon was our biggest factor.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So what day will have the extra second added to it.

Will it be December 31st at 11:59 and 61 seconds.

Then the ball might not drop at the right time, thats no way to start of the new year.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bpletcj
So what day will have the extra second added to it.

I also came to enquire on this extremely relevant question. I'd prefer to save my second till I need it in late October.

I find it difficult to conceive that our years are exactly 365.25 earth rotations long, and that 23 leap seconds in 35 years have fixed the accumulating errors of the Gregorian calendar period. But my astronomical observation is not steeped in enough astronomy to prove this.

"The International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service in Paris keeps track of time by measuring the Earth's rotation, which varies, and by an atomic clock, which is unwavering. When a difference in the two clocks shows up, the IERS adds or subtracts a second to the year."

To which I say, what BS. This is a conspiracy, literally.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
First off, the tsunami did nothing but damage and kill. The earthquake did a lot.

Second, bpletcj, it'd be 11:59:60.

Thirdly, MaskedAvatar, I believe it's closer to 365.2425, which is why we don't have a leap century every 400 years.

It's a common thing. They update it all the time in Bulletin C. That thing basically details it all right there. You can find all you'll ever want to know about it through that site.

Fascinating read. How sad is it that I've had it bookmarked for a months?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
1 sec. is that all. what can 1 sec do for us or do to hurt.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Second, bpletcj, it'd be 11:59:60.

:

Good point, I guess thats like counting the year zero between 1 B.C. and 1 A.D.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited to get rid of italics

[edit on 15-7-2005 by bpletcj]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, one second adds up over millenia. But, far more more importantly, it means we're being correct. And that is worth quite a lot.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joshm2u
whooppie. 1 second wow. i have probbaly wasted more than 2 seconds of ur life, just by u reading this.

haha yeah..i go with that..same feeling

top topics

join