It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tecumseh And The New Madrid Earthquake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Many of you may have heard about an Indian Leader (and "Prophet") called Tecumseh. Tecumseh is mostly known for his curse which proclaimed the death of all American presidents elected every 20 years. Many of you may also have heard about The Great New Madrid earthquake of 1811/1812, the most violent and destructive tremor ever to strike North America in recorded history. But did you know that Tecumseh actually prophesied this earthquake? This quake was his "signal to the Indians of North America to unite in an army and drive the invading, land stealing whites off the continent".

PANTHER-ACROSS-THE-SKY Tecumseh & the New Madrid Earthquake, 12-1811

August 11, 1802

When the period of waiting was over, he told them, when tribal unification had been completed, when all was in readiness, then would this sign be given: in the midst of the night the earth beneath would tremble and roar for a long period. Jugs would break, though there be no one near to touch them. Great trees would fall, though the air be windless. Streams would change their courses to run backwards, and lakes would be swallowed up into the earth and other lakes suddenly appear. The bones of every man would tremble with the trembling of the ground, and they would not mistake it. No! There was not anything to compare with it in their lives, nor in the lives of their fathers or the fathers before them since time began; when this sign came, they were to drop their mattocks and flash scrapers, leave their fields and their hunting camps and their villages, and join together and move to assemble across the lake river from the fort of Detroit. And on that day they would no longer be Mohawks or Senecas, Oneidas or Onondagas, or any other tribe. They would be Indians! One people united forever where the good of one would henceforth become the good of all!

So it would be!

November 16, 1811

Just before the midpoint of the night it came -- a great searing flash from out of the southwest; incredibly bright with a weird greenish-white light, incredibly swift, incredibly awe-inspiring. And the heads of a thousand, ten thousand, a hundred thousand Indians swiveled to watch its fiery progress across the heavens until it disappeared in the northeast. And they were deeply moved by it.

December 16, 1811

At 2:30 A.M. the earth shook.

fantastic splits appeared in the ground and huge tracts of land were swallowed up. A few miles from the Mississippi, near the Kentucky-Tennessee border, a monstrous section of ground sank as if some gigantic foot had stepped on the soft earth and mashed it down. Water gushed forth in fantastic volume and the depression became filled and turned into a large lake, to become known as Reelfoot Lake. The whole midsection of the Mississippi writhed and heaved and tremendous bluffs toppled into the muddy waters. Entire sections of land were inundated, and others that had been riverbed were left high in the air. The Mississippi itself turned and flowed backwards for a time. It swirled and eddied, hissed and gurgled, and at length, when it settled down, the face of the land had changed. New Madrid was destroyed and the tens of thousands of acres of land, including virtually all that was owned by Simon Kenton, vanished forever; that which remained was ugly and austere.

Such was the great sign of Tecumseh.

This was the earthquake which occurred where no tremor had ever been recorded before; where there was no scientific explanation for such a thing happening; where no one cold possibly have anticipated or predicted that an earthquake could happen. No one except Tecumseh.

April 1, 1812

The earthquake of December 16 was only a starter. It lasted, intermittently, for two terror-filled days; and at the end of that time, the atmosphere was so choked with dust and smoke that for a week afterwards the sun shone sickly reddish-bronze through an ugly haze.

The second earthquake struck on January 23, and the third hit four days later. And finally, on February 13, came the last and worst of them -- a hideous grinding and snapping which last for only an hour, but caused about as much damage as the other three combined.

This was powerful medicine -- more powerful than the Indians had ever seen. Those who had deserted Tecumseh now began to reconsider. Although most were in no hurry to rejoin the Shawnee chief, the inclination was there; if, as Tecumseh had predicted, there would be war with the whites, why not make the most of it right where they were?

And so began the hostilities.

Click the link to read the full article...

Answers.com: New Madrid Seismic Zone

These catastrophic earthquakes occurred during a three-month period in December 1811 and early 1812. They caused changes in the course of the Mississippi River, which rolled backwards temporarily, and were felt as far away as New York City and Boston, Massachusetts, where churchbells rang. Large areas sank into the earth, fissures opened, lakes permanently drained, new lakes were formed, and forests were destroyed over an area of 150,000 acres (600 km²). Many houses at New Madrid were thrown down. "Houses, gardens, and fields were swallowed up" one source notes. But fatalities and damage were low, because the area was sparsely settled.

Comparison: the 1895 Charleston, Missouri, earthquake in the New Madrid seismic zone with the 1994 Northridge, California, earthquake. Red indicates area of structural damage, yellow indicates area where shaking was felt.

The Virtual Times New Madrid Earthquake, account 1

On the 16th of December, 1811, about two o'clock, A.M., we were visited by a violent shock of an earthquake, accompanied by a very awful noise resembling loud but distant thunder, but more hoarse and vibrating, which was followed in a few minutes by the complete saturation of the atmosphere, with sulphurious vapor, causing total darkness. The screams of the affrighted inhabitants running to and fro, not knowing where to go, or what to do - the cries of the fowls and beasts of every species - the cracking of trees falling, and the roaring of the Mississippi - the current of which was retrogade for a few minutes, owing as is supposed, to an irruption in its bed -- formed a scene truly horrible.

The Virtual Times New Madrid Earthquake, account 2

on 3 September 1812 the Shawnees that William thought was friendly went crazy and them savages killed twenty four people....

Account of Samuel Mitchill, 1815

The beautiful comet which travelled through the northern celestial hemisphere during 1811, had offered itself plainly to view until the approach of the following year.

---

As soon as he was able to look round, he observed whole forests on each bank fall prostrate, to use his own comparison, like soldiers grounding their arms at the word of command. On his arrival at New-Madrid he found that place a complete wreck, sunk about twelve feet below its level, and entirely deserted

Tecumseh is the indian word for "PANTHER-ACROSS-THE-SKY". He was named after a comet which was seen in the sky when he was born. Just before the New Madrid quake there was also a comet seen in the sky.

Related ATS Threads:
ATS: Tecumseh's Curse and the Most Hated President in History
ATS: Earthquake Planning - New Madrid Region

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You have voted Hellmutt for the Way Above Top Secret award.
You have two more votes this month.

VERY interesting. This will be good reading for a few
hours tonight (can't sleep!) Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I just found a couple of good links I think should be included here.

The New Madrid Fault Zone or System -
Maps, Facts, Historical Information, and Prediction Information

The New Madrid Earthquake (includes newspaper accounts)

Here's an example of a newspaper account from "THE LOUISIANA GAZETTE AND DAILY ADVERTISER (NEW ORLEANS)", Saturday, December 21, 1811:

The Comet has been passing to the westward since it passed its perihelion - perhaps it has touched the mountain of California, that has given a small shake to this side of the globe - or the skake which the Natchezians have felt may be a mysterious visitation from the Author of all nature, on them for their sins - wickedness and the want of good faith have long prevailed in that territory.

[edit on 2006/4/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It´s kind of funny to read some of the weird explainations some people had for this earthquake. And one guy who was trown out of his bed by the quake in the middle of the night, was convinced "Judgment Day" was NOT at hand cause "Judgment Day" could not come at "night"...

EARTHQUAKE in the Year 1811

In 1811 science had no means by which to predict earthly disturbances but Shawnee Chief Tecumseh had been prophesying this devastating upheaval for the past two years. It was to be a great sign for all tribes to rise up and unite against the white invaders. There is no explanation of how this Indian leader knew the exact date and time of this earthquake that caused the Mississippi River to reverse its course, thus creating 18 mile long Reelfoot Lake in Northwestern Tennessee.

Many had theories about the cause of the quakes. Because of pumice and other volcanic matter discovered along several rivers some believed a volcano to the Far West, or in the Andes, had erupted. Other theories concerned subterranean fires, interior combustion and fermentation, electric fluid, or possibly terrestrial and atmospheric electricity. Another idea was that the earth and the moon had come in contact with each other.

During that period of time a comet was passing over westward and some thought it had struck a mountain in California. Others were certain God was punishing man. Many believed the quakes indicated the end of the world. One fellow, using logic, determined the Day of Judgment could not be at hand. Though he had been rudely bounced from his bed in the darkness by the disruption he was convinced that "Judgment Day" could not come at "night."

The Comet of 1811, C/1811 F1, was called The Great Comet. It was extremely bright and was visible to the naked eye for 9 months, a record it held until the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp. It passed earth at a minimum distance of 1.1 AU and it developed a tail of 160 million kilometres in length (a bit greater than the distance between the Earth and the Sun). The 1811 Comet was also the biggest on record until Comet Hale-Bopp.

1811: The Great Comet! Look!! Up in the Sky!!

In the eyes of William Burchell, the glittery streak of gold, red and white that streaked through the night sky of Cape Town, South Africa, represented Armageddon. "This certainly will be the end of Cape Town," the pessimistic Burchell wrote in his journal June 12, 1811. Burchell's concern was shared by millions.

From Moscow to Munich, Havana to Halifax, Rome to Rio, the awesome light show -- which was the Great Comet of 1811 -- was considered a bad omen to some, a majestic sight by others. The people of Cape Town were sure that the comet was a signal from the heavens. For centuries, comets were interpreted as signs of impending disaster. South Africa had suffered through a devastating earthquake just 10 days before the comet appeared, and many thought the comet signalled the final blow.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've heard of Tecumseh before (being part native American myself), and I find it very ironic that white men were trying to "civilize" the Indians and bring Christianity to them, when obviously, they were very spiritual people.

Thanks for enlightening many with your post!
Faeryland

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I can't believe that there aren't anymore responses to this, as it is very interesting.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Tecumseh, an agent of the British, went to the Southeast to rile up the Muscogee nation against the American whites. A distant relative of mine, Red Eagle, was all for it, prefering the native ways to his Scottish father's white ways. Anotehr indian, Big Warrior, was dead-set against it. Tecumseh said that when he went back up north he'd stomp his foot and cause the ground to shake and knock down the houses in the Autauga County area. There was an earthquake, but the houses didn't fall.

What he knew and how he knew it is a mystery, but we all know how the war ended.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
funny enough tecumseh is actually a relative of mine, i do believe he would be like 5th or 6th great grandfather.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bleedonstage
funny enough tecumseh is actually a relative of mine, i do believe he would be like 5th or 6th great grandfather.

Wow, that`s quite impressive (seriously) .

Whatever you do, don`t stomp your feet...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

funny enough tecumseh is actually a relative of mine,
i do believe he would be like 5th or 6th great grandfather.

Wonder if that means you could 'lift the curse' ... being a blood
relative and all?? hmmm ....

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have been hearing about recent activity in the New Madrid Fault Zone, and that another BIG ONE could be heading that way.

But no one is saying anything. And no one is warning the people in that Region.

WHY???

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
O yeah, is very very intersting,
Where2Hide2006, can you give me a scientific source where they sey something about the tremors in the area? I am very interested in this because some people and I are discussing of a huge attack on that área, some of them saw nuclear stuff on other terrible things. I am very concern on that because they are all similar images and I had some of them myself. So, I was telling those people that the only way for a nuclear explotion to happen was that for example a big earthqaucke could activate the bombs installed in that region (and US has tons of this missiles in that region) So, I am very interested in this info specially because the area of the 1811 quacke is ver similar to a vision I had, I was in space watching that region of the planet (including Canada) and I saw at least 2 or 3 big fires and the ideas of large disturbes in that zone) I dont know exactly when is gonna happen but I am sure it MUST be on september or firsts week of october (unless is so big that I can feel it much longer time than normal)
So, is sirous, I will link the guys to this topic and see what they think of this
Now I AM very worried, I was hoping Katrina was what I saw (but I am pretty sure it isnt)
If you whant I can link you to our predicitions

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucia
O yeah, is very very intersting,
Where2Hide2006, can you give me a scientific source where they sey something about the tremors in the area? I am very interested in this because some people and I are discussing of a huge attack on that área, some of them saw nuclear stuff on other terrible things. I am very concern on that because they are all similar images and I had some of them myself. So, I was telling those people that the only way for a nuclear explotion to happen was that for example a big earthqaucke could activate the bombs installed in that region (and US has tons of this missiles in that region) So, I am very interested in this info specially because the area of the 1811 quacke is ver similar to a vision I had, I was in space watching that region of the planet (including Canada) and I saw at least 2 or 3 big fires and the ideas of large disturbes in that zone) I dont know exactly when is gonna happen but I am sure it MUST be on september or firsts week of october (unless is so big that I can feel it much longer time than normal)
So, is sirous, I will link the guys to this topic and see what they think of this
Now I AM very worried, I was hoping Katrina was what I saw (but I am pretty sure it isnt)
If you whant I can link you to our predicitions

Sure... i was reading about it on ... www.whatdoesitmean.com

which is a Russian source.

Its a shame that sometimes you need to look at another countries intelligence reports to find out what is going on in your own country!

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Great page! Thanks for the link, I´ll keep an eye on that page.
And for informing yourself out in the internet, it happens everywhere, dont worry. For rxample, I live in a very small country in the river plate and sometimes I get info from outsiders (very objetive compared to the media here wich is oppsoe to our new left party governent)
Well, I give you the link here, we are discussing a lot trying to set up a date and place but noone is sure about it. I am sure thought that 2 or 3 days before the event I will know because my toraxic chase start to bother me a lot and sometimes is very painfull (the more death the more pain).
Hope we are all wrong.

The link:

www.unexplained-mysteries.com... directly to the topic

www.unexplained-mysteries.com... to the forum

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
A very good book about Tecumseh was written by Allan Eckert, it's called A Sorrow in Our Heart. He has done quite a bit of research on the life of Tecumseh, and life in the Ohio river valley during the late 1700's and early 1800's. I would highly recommend reading this book. In it, he talks about several prophecies that were made by Tecumseh, including the New Madrid earthquake.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Sure... i was reading about it on ... www.whatdoesitmean.com

which is a Russian source.

Its a shame that sometimes you need to look at another countries intelligence reports to find out what is going on in your own country!

Sorcha Faal has a Propaganda/Entertainment site.

Nothing there is real.

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

Note: Ever mindful of the various and numerous laws from both the European Union and the United States relating to information please be advised that all of the articles that appear on this website are for entertainment purposes only and suggest alternate realities and are designed for the promotion of greater and different thoughts on world events.

It is run by the the discredited Psychic/Writer David Booth.

You have been duped.....

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Here is a map showing how the first of the New Madrid quakes were felt. Seems like New York city felt the quake more than New Orleans did...

"Isoseismal map for the Arkansas earthquake of December 16,1811, 08:15 UTC (first of the 1811-1812 New Madrid series)."

Source: USGS

And FEMA has apparently put the New Madrid fault at the top of their list of threats for some reason. ATS thread by "FlyersFan" is found here: FEMA worried about New Madrid

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You have voted Hellmutt for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month

Excellent post and great read. I live in Ottawa, which appears to be on the edge of the Madrid zone on the map you posted. Anyway, we had an Earthquake here last Friday and it was a 4.6. Very rare to the best of my knowledege, first time I've ever felt one and I have lived here quite a while.(thought it was a snowplow going by at first!) Just thought it was an odd coinicidence....

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
I have been hearing about recent activity in the New Madrid Fault Zone, and that another BIG ONE could be heading that way.

If you're interested, the live latest earthquakes on earthquake.usgs.gov do show some in that area, and obviously some in yellowstone, and as I type there are a few more than usual in California, and also quite a few in the Aleutian Islands off Alaska (I think thats their name).

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Then we are related albiet very distant. My great grandmother was 1/4 shawnee and after more digging, my mom while in Illinois (family finally settled)
came to meet a distant relative on the Eaton side and she gave my mom a very detailed genology of the Eaton side of the family dating all the way back to pre Revolutionary days including documentation of my direct ancestors fighting in that war. Anyways, in this area there was a fort called Fort Foot: About 1813 the William Eaton family and other restless pioneers considered Fort LaMotte too crowded and therefore constructed a new stockade on a site several hundred yards north of here. A family trait of the Eatons, large feet, led to the name of Fort Foot.
www.historyillinois.org... and in this genelogy there are 2 specific people that have been found to be of the Miami and Shawnee Nations. One was called Mahala and she is the one we suspect was blood to the Great Chief Techmseh.

I now live in Ohio and there is a very good outdoor drama based on his life
www.tecumsehdrama.com... It is very respectfull to the memory of this great man, and the last scene is when he is taken from the battlefield where he fell and everytime I have seen this, I have felt a "presence" and a feeling of deep sadness.

Sorry this is off topic but I had to post after seeing your post.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join