It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Die Attempting Rescue (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Two people died while attempting to rescue a 10 year old boy, who was pulled out by a riptide. A total of 12 people were swimming in restricted waters, when the son of Carlos Reyes (whos first name has not been released) was swept away in waist high waters. 10 of them were rescued by authorities, however, the Boy's Father, Carlos Reyes and 26 year old Alex Tapia were pronounced dead on the scene.

www.cnn.com
Officials said Carlos Reyes, 35, of Marlboro, Massachusetts, and about 10 other people went into restricted waters around 6 p.m. Monday after Reyes' son was swept away by a strong undertow in waist-deep water.

When authorities arrived, all 12 people were stuck in the current. Officials rescued 10 of them, including Reyes' son. But Reyes and Alex Tapia, 26, of Worcester, Massachusetts, were pulled unconscious from the water and pronounced dead.

Donahue said riptides have been especially severe this season because of strong storms in May. Lifeguard captain James DeLuca said extra guards were on duty during the day Monday to patrol areas where there were known to be riptides.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a tragic event, however, it really makes you wonder that out of 12 people, not one of them would have had enough common sense to say, "this place is restricted for a good reason". Especially having kids as young as 10 years old there, you'd think that they would have at least been close enough to grab him before he got ripped out and pulled under.

I've done more careless things before, so while I may not have much room to say this, that was a pretty bad choice on the part of the kid's parents & other adults with the group.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by JBurns]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The only problem is that is says "Two people died attempting to rescue a 10 year old boy" but in the article it sounds like it was the little boy and one other person that was trying to rescue him.

Sad event still, but a little common sense could have prevented it. I feel bad for the families involved.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yeah, agree with whoever posted this.

It's sad that the parents of this child did not think better (that's what I pulled from it) and their actions will haunt them for the rest of their days. Hopefully they can learn something from this - which is the only positive outcome when a child looses its life.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Oops. My bad. It was the FATHER that died, not the boy. The boy was rescued, the father and one other person were pulled out unconscious. It's a little confusing at first because they didn't release the boys name, and didn't really specify that it was the father, so when I skimmed through it it sounded like the boy. I just reread it slower, and it was the father.

What's even dumber is that they went in after the lifeguards went off duty. Nice job by the adults.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I was the one who submited this news article, I've went through and tried to re-word small parts of it to make it more understandable, because like you said, it is a little misleading unless you carefully read it.

Yeah, I don't see how adults could be so careless with their lives, let alone the lives their children!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Isn't the way to evade a rip-tide to swim parallel to the beach past the current and then swim back into the beach? ( basically swim an 'L') Although if i were struggling im not sure if i would be remembering that.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
There are no guarantees once caught in a riptide, though there are some suggestions that MAY help.

Bottom line is people have got to stop ignoring the seriousness of riptide warnings. Some people are knocked off their feet in just a foot or two of water and dragged away by the force. The strange thing is how often the person originally pulled in ends up alive, but the people who try to help end up losing the fight.

top topics

join