It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
will artifal intellengce eventally take over, and would we be able to fight robots?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Not if they looked like Arnold. I mean who would shoot the Governor of California?

Seriously though...is this a serious question?
Who would know this since it asks for pure speculation?

Maybe you could refine your ideas with a bit more writing....

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
ok.
lets say that tomorrow, the amercain goverment proclaim they have made robots that take the place of troops. suddenly (use your imagation...) the robots take over.
would humans be able to resiste them?
the robots start to mass produce themselves and all the cities are in ruins
could humans lead gurriela warfare aganist them?

is AI a possibly at the current state of techology, or would we need a quantum computer to get them like we are? when one thinks about it, humans are like machines themsevles.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I cant say If we could win a war against mechines as its the mechines them selfs we need to use in order to do anything .
But i can say i just relized something Profound when you said humans are mechines you were correct and It made me relize If Nacher can do It theres no reasion why man couldent make a mechine copy .
In conclusion this means if the human race makes it through the next ten years then AI is inevadable.
( need to make a sig.) (My spelling is SOOOO bad not even spell check can make heads or tails of it)

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
backing up my information, quantum computer: library.thinkquest.org...
iam not advertising but this site is brillent for quantum mechanics. its simple, to the point, and has lots of visal diagrams.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think the whole "Robots enslaving Humans" thing really scares us. Thats why it comes up so much. Things like that wouldn't ever happen. If even they did gain enough control, don't you think they would be more intelligence than senseless killing?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I was reading through the site Blue, and it doesn't really say much about quantum computers, and nothing about AI. Quantum computers may have vast amounts of memory, be much faster in some cases (solve some problems in seconds that would take conventional computers years to solve, or just be impossible to solve), and crack passwords almost instantly but it takes much more than a faster and more capable (in some cases) computer to make AI in robots that can destroy humanity. I notice your recent posts are mostly about this, but you have nothing to fear for a long long time Blue
. We're not even close to the Matrix kind of machines yet so rest easy!

By the way, if you want some more information about quantum computers, check out this link

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 5-7-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue_sky_9
ok.
lets say that tomorrow, the amercain goverment proclaim they have made robots that take the place of troops. suddenly (use your imagation...) the robots take over.
would humans be able to resiste them?
the robots start to mass produce themselves and all the cities are in ruins
could humans lead gurriela warfare aganist them?

is AI a possibly at the current state of techology, or would we need a quantum computer to get them like we are? when one thinks about it, humans are like machines themsevles.

For this to happen all factories would have to be completely automated to the point that a computer can manufacture from start to finish. So no, I dont think if they even existed they could take over. Our current weapons like EMP bombs could wipe them out anyways

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If we get to the point where machines can actually think for themselves and could pose a threat to humans if hypothetically they were to 'rebel', I think that we would build them with certain weaknesses so that in that event a rebellion they could be put down swiftly. Of course I doubt this will ever happen, but if there was a possibility that it could, with all the fear injected into us from movies and such about that kind of thing happening we'd definately take precautions. EMP would definately do the trick unless we protected them against it.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Topics such as this border on the realm of fantasy talk and nowhere near science. But since I am interested, I'll chime:

No, AI does not exist. Intelligence itself took millenia for humans to develop. Our skills are not great enough to duplicate the results of millenia of evolution with a few decades of computer tampering.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Topics such as this border on the realm of fantasy talk and nowhere near science. But since I am interested, I'll chime:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident" -Arthur Schopenhauer

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
"Truth is only interpretation of fact" - Frosty

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
C'mon don't turn this into a quote war now

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
In theory AI would enevatably take over, but that is asuming the human race lasts long enough, and is stupid enough, to create such things!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philosophical Fanatic
In theory AI would enevatably take over, but that is asuming the human race lasts long enough, and is stupid enough, to create such things!

how is the human race stupid, fanatic? scencie and techonolgy have advanced in leaps and bounds sicne the begining of the 19th centry. and why should not we produce AI? apart from the risks, it would make our lives a lot easier!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just a question; when one speak of AI's it seems that it's always assumed that the AI would be "smart". How do you define an AI?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I belong to a group that does take the threat of AI seriously enough.

We have discussed a way to employ a Mutually Assured Destruction weapon to keep a balance of power between man and machines (or even advanced Human engineered biological or semi-biological entities - who may be much more resiliant to radiation)

So far the most promising "MAD" weapon idea we have agreed upon is an artificially created black hole, but it would have to be delivered in such a way as to take down the entire solar sytem rather quickly - to avoid machines from just using Mars instead of Earth for an escape route for their society.

(Something they likely would be willing to do if it came down to it)

However, we would be interested in any input those here might have on creating an alternative "MAD" device.

As we assume machines could overcome their EMP vulnerability.

[edit on 14-7-2005 by TruthMagnet]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet
I belong to a group that does take the threat of AI seriously enough.

We have discussed a way to employ a Mutually Assured Destruction weapon to keep a balance of power between man and machines (or even advanced Human engineered biological or semi-biological entities - who may be much more resiliant to radiation)

So far the most promising "MAD" weapon idea we have agreed upon is an artificially created black hole, but it would have to be delivered in such a way as to take down the entire solar sytem rather quickly - to avoid machines from just using Mars instead of Earth for an escape route for their society.

(Something they likely would be willing to do if it came down to it)

However, we would be interested in any input those here might have on creating an alternative "MAD" device.

As we assume machines could overcome their EMP vulnerability.

[edit on 14-7-2005 by TruthMagnet]

ok, so if the "smart" robots take over you are going to destroy the solar system? thats clever. (not offence intended) the human race is going to be lost. and, to cap it all, you are gonna create a black hole? how would you do that anyway?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
blue_sky_9,

Well, of course, the idea of a "MAD" weapon is lunacy, but it does have precedent.

Human civilization could likely not withstand a direct all-out nuclear confronatation between the U.S. and Russia, but yet we have over stockpilied these "MAD" weapons in an effort to keep the peace for over 50 years now.

And arguably it has worked to some extent.

The idea is to give your "enemy" some reason to negotiate with you at all - and sometimes it allows the leader of your "enemy" to save political face and make compromises with you.

Humans would only need this "MAD" strategy until we are sophisticated enough to travel to (or perhaps create?) other hospitable planets to colonize.

The problem is, if the machines are allowed to leave this solar system first, then they could "backup" their electronic brains to a secure location outside the solar system, which would make them invulnerable to even a black hole weapon.

As far as the feasability of such a weapon, physicists do not believe it will be outside of our capabilities in even the next 100 years.

In fact there are labs on Earth currently attempting to create microscopic black holes that should eveaporate moments after creation.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

(Let us hope they are right!)

[edit on 15-7-2005 by TruthMagnet]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join