It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Species Of Dolphin Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
A new species of dolphin has been discovered in the waters of Northern Australia. The Snubfin dolphin is the first new dolphin species to be discovered in 30 years. The snubfin dolphin (Orcaella heinsohni) was named in honour of a university professor, George Heinsohn, who worked at the University that discovered it. It was originally thought to be a Irrawady dolphin until DNA tests revealed it was a new species.

news.yahoo.com
SYDNEY (AFP) - The first new dophin species to be identified in 30 years has been found in Australian waters, researchers announced.

The shy Australian snubfin dolphin lives in shallow coastal waters in northern Australia and possibly Papua New Guinea, said scientists Isabel Beasley and Peter Arnold.

The snubfin was initially thought to have been an Irrawady dolphin, usually found in Asia and Australia, but DNA tests proved that it was a different species, said Beasley of James Cook University in Townsville.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Fascinating, you get used to hearing about new species of insects being discovered. But finding a new species of dolphin or other large mamamal, and in coastal waters, is rare.

Heres hoping we find more new species

[edit on 5/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wow, it's cute...

It is surprising to find a new species, especially a mammal like you say. It makes you wonder what else could be lurking out there in the ocean.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Heres hoping we find more new species

....Before we kill them.....

Very interesting....The ocean's are so vast and unexplored I wouldn't be surprised if there were another hundred species of dolphins we just don't know about yet...

Our future holds the potential to discover and learn more about these incredible animals, but the noose seems to tighten more and more these days....

I'd hate to bring politricks into these thread, but it's clear that while Bush's head is rattling around and making the sounds of jingling money, the Kyoto Accord's long-term potential to save this planet, including its thousands of undiscovered inhabitants, is a "sinking ship" in many respects....

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It looks like an aquatic grey. Wouldn't that be interesting if it was an alien. We so often think of aliens as humanoid. I guess the fact that the animal has DNA rules out extra-terrrestrial origin, but it is strange finding a new species of aquatic mammal whose home is coastal waters, as someone else pointed out. Anyway, we should keep an eye on this species, they look kind of shady, if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Cool, but it kinda looks fake.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's nice to find yet another new specied, hopefully this will help the Governments of the world push more money into Marine Research as well as the Mountain Regions of the world and the Amazon. There are so many things still out there, yet to be discovered which can/could help us to solve so many important questions especially involving things such as Evolution.

Here is to hoping one day our Governments will wise up.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
All this talk about species pops a question in my head...

Are humans classified as one single species? I mean like humans of today..not the ones from way back.

Interesting news

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yes, because there is no difference on a genetic level no matter skin colour and/or region, to be classed as a new race as far as I'm aware. If we were a different race, we would not be able to breed together and have children which could then go on to breed.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Odium..thanks for the answer.

So for dolphins (Orcaella heinsohni in this case) to be classified as a different species they would have to have a unique DNA apart from other dolphin species's (sp)....is that it...just DNA?

Im just trying to understand what makes this dolphin a seperate species from the Irrawady Dolphin.....it even had the experts confused.

So in theory...the two could be exact look-alikes...but two different species because of the DNA.....correct?

Sorry to bombard with questions...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yep, you got it right. It comes down to the DNA instead of how they look. Which kind of makes sense, as the DNA also makes them look a certain way.

At least this is how they explained it to me at School.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
"A fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus and consisting of related organisms capable of interbreeding."

Species from the dictionary. dictionary.reference.com...

dictionary.reference.com... - this also helps.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Too bad as soon as we discover the little guys, they're gone. That article placed nearby dolphin populations at "50," the "critically endangered" mark. This population is unknown but logically as small or smaller than "critically endangered."

Oh well, dolphins aren't important in the grand scheme of things - what IS important is beachfront development !

Zip

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
How do we know that their population hasn't always been at this level, since we just "discovered" them?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lordling
How do we know that their population hasn't always been at this level, since we just "discovered" them?

I seriously doubt a species could maintain "50" in a non-controlled enviorment.....look at the endangered species in Africa....even they have assisistance to help keep the numbers up.

Humans are the ones screwing it all up.....coastal dolphins, humans definately had thier part in keeping the numbers down..ships, developements, etc...etc...

jra

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

That's because it's a drawing/painting...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

That's because it's a drawing/painting...

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me, I must look real silly.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
why can't extraterrestrial beings have DNA ??

It seems like to me that all life will have some form of DNA regardless of whether or not that life started out here on Earth or on another planet....

DNA is just the scheme by which the "thing" becomes a living thing. So therefor anything that "lives" either plant life or animal life, then must also have DNA of some sort.

Alien or not, it must have DNA.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Its not like they just found this dolphin lol..... George Heinsohn just wanted to put his name on something, is my guess

[edit on 5-7-2005 by XPhiles]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
DNA is just the scheme by which the "thing" becomes a living thing. So therefor anything that "lives" either plant life or animal life, then must also have DNA of some sort.

It is also thought that RNA may be the most basic life form.

Check out my thread on abiogenesis if you're interested.

Zip

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
As long as they don't develop thumbs, or the desire for empire, we're in good shape.

Dolphins are really very interesting, their behaviors are random enough to create the appearance of personality and choice. Their interactions with people are across the board, with behaviors ranging from saving to drowning the helpless pink things.

They display complex social behaviors and a great penchant for learning and exploring, even synthesizing new concepts from old knowledge.

Fascinating creatures!
Maybe this new species will teach us more about their development.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join