It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Contest - Winners Announced On Page 6

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Congratulations, all.
I'm surprised with my entry. I never expected it to do well, let alone get in the 20 list. I had some rough competition. I noticed that my story came in ahead of some that I thought were far superior, including one that I felt was a sure winner. I wonder how that happened?
The contest was enjoyable, but I'm afraid that I must admit to Jealousy. You see, I basically wrote to get that STATUS "Writer" label.
I found other good stories here that were not in this contest. I'm really outclassed, but had a lot of fun writing and especially reading.
Thanks.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Not to pick because I know that it's a pretty big deal to go through and comment on everyone's stories (and certainly not something WorldWatcher has to do- so let's hear a round of applause for her!)

But really what would help me most is just to know what the scoring criteria were and just what score we all got. The little comments on the stories so far are nice, but I think knowing our scores and the cirteria they were based on would be a lot more specific in helping us see what worked and what didn't work in our styles.

No rush though, I'm appreciative that we're getting so much feedback at all.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I truly do hate to be pain to the wonderful people who keep this place going for us, but I am still just itching to see the scoring criteria, even if we never get to see our exact scores or get reviews of every submission. It would really help us to evaluate our own stuff to see what works and what doesn't.

Besides that, I'm extremely curious now because I submit all of my stuff here to another site as well. Getting even- which took 4th runner up in the top 20 list, is rated a 1 (worst) on the 1-5 rating system used at the other site.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Any news about the next competition?

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm starting to get a bit of itchy finger as well when it comes to the next contest. I had an awesome dream last night that would make a great story on spirituality (hint hint)

I've also been wondering lately if we'll be doing theme stories for the upcoming holiday season. Halloween is around the corner and so is Christmas. In the US Thanksgiving isn't far away as well. Or maybe an assignment on a foreign holiday which most writers wouldn't understand or have a clue about. Talk about a challenge.

Guess we'll just have to wait till WW feels like putting in another tonne of work.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
My sincere congratulations to the winners of this specific writing contest.
Great job and well done.

Congratulations must be goven to all the members who participated. Way to go.

Hats off, kudos, and significant credit must also go to worldwatcher and the judges involved. Much appreciation and great work; certainly a job well done and one deserving of recognition.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
so,ummm....WW...any idea when that new contest might kick off? Some of us are itching to kick Jeremiah25 off that mountain. The smug little bugger is starting to look very comfortable up there, where he's sat for two weeks now, just grinning like a fool.

My muses are straining at their leashes here as well. I'm just wondering if anything is in the offing?

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

The smug little bugger is starting to look very comfortable up there, where he's sat for two weeks now, just grinning like a fool.

Peering over the side of his beloved mountain, Jeremiah looked with disdain at the mad crush of his enemies below him. Settling back in his self-made throne (which was little more than twigs and branches piled on top of his rucksack), he took a long, refreshing draught of his yak juice.
"Heh heh heh. Look at all those hacks down there. Well, as long as I'm up here on my precious mountain, they can't touch me.
Sure is hard to breathe, though. Should have ... probably brought some ... oxygen with me ..."

Jeremiah blacked out and leaned preacriously over the pinnacle of his beloved bragging mountain. His body fell end over end for some 20 000 feet. It came to rest, broken and bleeding, on a small ledge that jutted out from the snow-covered mountainside.

Two days later, mrwupy decided on a rapid, forced ascent of the mountain, to claim its glory for himself.
"For that scurrilous cur shan't expect so rapid an ascent, blinded as he is by his own vainglory and enormously bulbous head. Methinks I shalt boot him from his vantage point and then behold! mrwupy shalt be king and shall spend his days in passing leisure, getting his toes licked by beautiful women".
Partway up the mountain, mrwupy encountered the body of his fallen, frozen foe on the small ledge. Although initially saddened by the knowledge that his Colorado steel-capped Jeremiah-kicking-down-the-mountain-while-I-laugh-all-the-while boots that he had specially made were now a beautifully crafted but pointless $250 investment, he soon saw a way to turn this to his opportunity, for far below he heard, carried on a bitter alpine wind, the sounds of plans being made against his design.

At that point down the mountain, Voidmaster had decided on a rapid, forced ascent of the mountain, to claim its glory for himself.
"For that scurrilous cur shan't expect so rapid an ascent, blinded as he is by his own ... "
The frozen body of Jeremiah, kicked unceremoniously off the mountain by mrwupy, struck Voidmaster head on. Rolling as it had down the mountain with great speed, Jeremiah's body had collected unto itself great drifts of snow, such that when Voidmaster looked up on a sudden, the last thing he beheld was a great ball of snow and ice with a limp, blue hand poking out from the side, still clutching a broken crown formed of yak bones and held together by the stringy ropes of weeds that grew on the side of the mountain.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I haven't been able to write a word since the last contest. I just can't seem to have any good day dreams lately. As far as I am concerned, Jeremiah can keep his mountain until I've come up with something worth showing. When the time does come though, I'm digging deep, and you'll be naming that mountain after me.

Now if I could only get out of my usual genre and come up with something that might deliver on that threat...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
the last thing Voidmaster beheld was a great ball of snow and ice with a limp, blue hand poking out from the side, still clutching a broken crown formed of yak bones and held together by the stringy ropes of weeds that grew on the side of the mountain.

Thanks alot for killing me off. I am sooooo gonna beat you at the next contest for that. And wupy, I'm sorry to inform you but, you are going to lose the next contest to me. I know that stings but you just gotta keep living and move on.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
War is being declared right and left, and I've come up with a concept for my next story, so let the good times roll.
When is the next contest? Hopefully within a month or two?

Edit to add: By the way guys- it's MY turn
. I'll let you guys have your shot right after I take at least 2 of the top 3 places in the next contest.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
And so it begins, The declarations of intent to destroy and salt the Earth of those who would compete against you. How do I find mercy in my heart for the very ones who would gnaw my bones and feast on my flesh at the alter of WorldWatcher? How do I take pity when my very ego is a crown to be won and worn by those who would defile me.

I admit that only by the thumbs up of Ceaser have I remained to fight, but let this not bring you hope of my destruction, For Ceaser has seen the gold in my soul and found hope in my fight.

The crowd gathers, the screams for blood is deafening and the glory calls to the warriors who wage this battle.

Let it begin, so that I may slay you.

Ceaser, Worldwatcher, give us the sign oh mighty lord, Lets us do battle this day.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Edit to add: By the way guys- it's MY turn
. I'll let you guys have your shot right after I take at least 2 of the top 3 places in the next contest.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but since WW took over and we've actually had some competition going, i've always been the bridesmaid, never the bride. It is NOT your turn, it is MY turn.

I am unleashing my ten fingers of poetic and literary death against ANYONE who believes they can withstand the onslaught.

That said, Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I am unleashing my ten fingers of poetic and literary death against ANYONE who believes they can withstand the onslaught.

I will withstand it with a kung fu transvestite travelling revival story.

Hell, now that I typed it, I wonder if I could make that work.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Thanks alot for killing me off. I am sooooo gonna beat you at the next contest for that. And wupy, I'm sorry to inform you but, you are going to lose the next contest to me. I know that stings but you just gotta keep living and move on.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but since WW took over and we've actually had some competition going, i've always been the bridesmaid, never the bride. It is NOT your turn, it is MY turn.

Some people are always trying to ice-skate up a hill.

The next competition is going to be just fantastic. Hopefully we will see the same depth of talent that made the last one such a joy to participate in. In the meantime, somebody please read Bodies of Ochre, the competition is soon and I needs me feedback. Especially if I am to hone my skills to leap brazenly in front of a tearful wupy and snag the next bouquet.

[edit on 22/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You didn't comment on this idea. I know why, I'll add, ON ROLLERBLADES.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You didn't comment on this idea. I know why, I'll add, ON ROLLERBLADES.

You know, it'd be worth losing just to see you write that.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I had alot of fun reading all the stories, cant wait till the next contest.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Good stories everyone!! Congrats to winners and writers all. I look forward to reading your new stories soon.

Nice to see budding talent in the making and the friendly rivalry is fun to read too.

ATS should start thinking about publishing an anthology of some of the short stories.

Hope to read you soon

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join