It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Contest - Winners Announced On Page 6

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
hey ! where are the results ? losing gracefully : winning is not important , what's important is that we all got to share our writing , and no matter what the outcome , we're all winners.......

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
wow this contest was amazing. so many great stories. cant wait for the results.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
Another challenge could be to write a love story that HAD to contain a conspiricy from atleast one of the lovers.

I would actually love a contest like that. I had just such an idea that I have been meaning to write but first I have to work a few of the cliches out of it. I'd be interested to see what everyone else did with something like that.

My idea was pretty cliche really- not far off from Grosse Point Blank where the hitman ends up having to kill his ex girlfriend's father. If well written it could be pulled off, but I'd really have to twist the plot a lot to keep it original.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
so tell me writers, how would you like your results?

The winners of course will be announced, but would the rest of you prefer private feedback and scores, would you like to see the final order of all the entries in one post? would you prefer me to post individual scores to each entry?

I ask this because criticism, no matter how constructive, may not always be welcomed.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Although I'm a proud person and hate to lose publically, I think results should be posted publically. If other writers can look at what I did right and wrong and how readers have recieved it, they will be able to apply the lessons learned of every contestant to the development of their own style.

This is a great chance for us all to see how readers have responded to a variety of styles and use it for our own development. I hope the other writers will agree with me.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Although I'm a proud person and hate to lose publically, I think results should be posted publically. .

I respect that, I also hate to lose in public but I am a man and can handle defeat.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think you should post the scores in one post in order.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The results should be posted in a ranked order, that would be kinda cool, unless ofcourse I am dead last, then the results should be sent individualy.

Seriously rank 'em in order, that way we can try to improve our ranking in the next contest.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Make a post here within this thread, announcing the winners... in order, of course.

I personally would like to see how the stories were rated, and feel that if made public, that would allow the writers to see what they can rate their styles against, or see how they could better themselves.

For the most part, we are all grown ups here; I don't see this as "bad form", showing where there can be improvement... afterall, the same was done in school.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well that's proof that you're a grownup. When I was in school we all had to give ourselves code names for the teacher so he could announce grades in class without humiliating anybody.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I agree with Vagobound make the ranking public. And in one post.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm 16 and i know that if i saw my name at the bottom of the list, I wouldn't get upset. I would just know that I have many things to improve on.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I would have to admit that if I was the worst writer out of 30 entries, I would feel a bit bad that that information was up for everyone to see. At least if I wasn't in the top five I could convince myself that I probably almost made in and will strive better next time, but to be listed as last would discourage me from trying again.

Just my opinion...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ok, post 'em in a ranked order but only by the story name and don't list the writer. Maybe that will comfort some with an intolerance for humility.

You know, some of the stories posted were so good that I honestly would'nt be upset if I were dead last. But I can't speak for everyone so maybe worldwatcher should just do what she thinks is best.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth
Ok, post 'em in a ranked order but only by the story name and don't list the writer. Maybe that will comfort some with an intolerance for humility.

In the somewhat long-lived words of Tim Allen, "Yeah, we'll do that!"
That sounds like a good idea Looking4. I'm one to not like it if I did bad. Now if I did bad and everyone knows I did....*Goes into murderious rampage* Anyway,*Gasps for breath and wipes bloody knife on equally bloody shirt, lol* I just think that be a good idea.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Why dont we just send the results u2u and have the top 20 up there. Or 25 or something.

But I agree that they could base there style on others and mix in, making them lower would only help to make them higher.

Sometimes you must go back a step in order to move foreward.

[edit on 3/8/05 by The Surrealist]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
my finger nails are a wreck! post the results or send me something new to chew on!

Edit to add: (because this was a one liner at first)
Would anybody happen to be interested in advising me on "A Vagabond's Tale"? I've got it in the contest and might have gotten some new exposure for it, so this seems like a good time to ask.
I'm doing OK with it, but i thought maybe a little creative input from somebody with somewhat different tastes would help me make it a more multi-dimensional plot.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
hey ! are we there yet ? " you asked that a minute ago, and i said it won't be for a while " darn... i don't mind public humiliation , since i'm used to it , 10 points say i'm last place ....

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
thanks for the input writers.

I think on the advice of some, I will go ahead and post the list of winners, along with 20 runner ups. I will just post them in order here, no scores, if you want a score, please ask me via u2. I will also finally get a chance to go and make comments in each entry I admit it's been difficult for me not to make comments or give feedback since you all know how much I like to talk

What I want you all to remember that your scores for this contest doesn't accurately reflect how the judges may feel about your overall writing. So if you scored low, it doesn't mean that you are a bad writer, just that maybe you didn't listen to the directions

In the intro, I requested 3 specific elements and Judges were asked to grade your story according to how well you included these elements into your writing. Spelling and Grammar were also considered, but a large part of the score was also on the Judges' own personal preference and which style of writing and story overall appealed to them. The scores were taken and an average was found determining what the total score for the entry was.

This contest was full of many potential winners, we really had some great entries and I do look forward to reading much more from all of you. So again, please don't be discouraged if you didn't win or make the top 20, you're still
in my book.

I will announce the winners shortly

[edit on 8-3-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Lots of people seem to be stressing about what place they come. But really, even if you come dead last, it doesn't mean you are a bad writer. It just means that the judges liked a particular story, or perhaps a different theme. Everybody has their personal tastes when it comes to writing and the judges are no different. A low score does not mean you lack wriitng ability or that your story was not as good as some others. It just means that the judges have individual tastes.

Personally, I thought the calibre of stories was breathtaking. There is so much writing talent on these boards it's not funny. It's too bad it takes a contest like this to get people to demonstrate it. Good luck to all.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join