It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Contest - Winners Announced On Page 6

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Ok I had a dream the other night that was plaguing me. I figured the only way to get rid of it, was to write it all down. I am not a writer, but I want to be when I grow up. I'll trim it up and post it, just dont thrash it too badly.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
Ok I had a dream the other night that was plaguing me. I figured the only way to get rid of it, was to write it all down. I am not a writer, but I want to be when I grow up. I'll trim it up and post it, just dont thrash it too badly.

The threat here is not that your story will be trashed, no my friend its much worse than that. The threat here is that it will be ignored. No sadder fate can befall a writer then to craft a jewel that is left to fade by those you had dreamed of cherishing it.

Good luck in the competition though,

Wupy

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
The threat here is not that your story will be trashed, no my friend its much worse than that. The threat here is that it will be ignored.

That is why I beg people to read my story in my signature

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
My words have fallen on deaf ears before. Writing those words coherently is good enough for me. I will read and leave feedback and hope others will do mine the same. I finished the ending just now so I shall post it....here goes my efforts.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Nice work Shadow, I posted a reply to your story.

Anyway... several of us have multiple stories in the contest, so I've got a question for those of you who do. Which of yours is your favorite?

Of the three I have in, I think Dying In Summer is my favorite. A Vagabond's Tale is a close second, because I love to write adventure, but Dying In Summer just worked out exactly as I wanted it to. I realized after submitting Vagabond's Tale that it didn't really emphasize the theme of the contest, so I thought for a while about Summer. What came to mind for me was a particular summer after 7th grade when I really tried to remake myself for the next year. I was sick of what I was and how I was treated, so I grew my hair out, started going to the gym, broke a few bad habits, and gave it a shot. It only half way worked out.
So I decided to write something about second chances, but I didn't necessarily want a happy or a sad ending- I figured I'd leave it open to the reader. So that's definately my favorite. It came together very quickly too- I think that's one way of telling that I'm really onto something- if I can just sit down and type as quickly as if I were telling a story in real time, the story is usually a lot more likely to have life in it.

Curious what everybody else thinks of theirs. Sometimes I tend to read other people's work on too shallow of a level- I don't always pick up the hints and meanings they've put in, because they don't mean to me what they meant to the writer.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I can't stand the lonely Summer Blues. Thease long days, long nights, stuck awake pondering in my subconscious mind. Will anyone check out my short story called 'A day in the apocalypse' its not in the short stories, its just in collaborative fiction, I'm still editing. Thanks. That would be very nice.

=)

[edit on 16-7-2005 by The Surrealist]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I just read shadow watchers. It t was, mm, ahsuperb. mmm, mm? (I like to check my speling)
[edit on 16-7-2005 by The Surrealist]

[edit on 7-18-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Hi, WorldWatcher??

I sent you a U2U regarding my concerns yesterday. I know I am probably being very impatient about waiting for an answer, but, I really would like to know.

What I asked basically was, I have only had writer status for a relatively short time. I love to write but have only written one story, and contributed mainly to one, and a bit to a couple of others.

The thing is, I was real excited about this contest when I first heard of it, and had/have a couple of good ideas. However, since then, some things have come up (offline), and I don't think that I will be able to enter the contest because I'm afraid that at the current time I won't have the time to put into it, and also, I just have too much other stuff on my mind to feel that I could do more than slap something together that I would be embarrassed to post.

My main concern as far as wanting to hear back from you, is that I don't know if I will lose my Writer status if I do not enter this contest? Could you possibly U2U me and let me know if my status will remain intact? I would really appreciate it.

If anyone else reads this and already knows the answer, please either post in this thead with the info you have, or U2U me????

Thanks much.

CyberKat

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I'm in my "Rough Draft Phase" of my writing and My story's about NK and its gonna be good!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Usually, when I write something a bit more serious in nature, my stories tend to have three parts. They aren't overly large parts, just different perspectives, but they wouls be rather lengthy if I were to put them all into one post.

So I was wondering... would it be okay to seperate the parts into different posts? They'd still be part of the same thread and story, just seperated.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Does the story have to scientifically accurate, or can it be science fiction? Does the fact its set in summer have to be a large part of the story, or can you just give it a quick reference in it somewhere?

Also can the story be based on already existing scientific theory and possibilities?

Example: The possibility that the gulf stream could shut down etc.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by PeteTPP]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeteTPP
Does the story have to scientifically accurate, or can it be science fiction? Does the fact its set in summer have to be a large part of the story, or can you just give it a quick reference in it somewhere?

Also can the story be based on already existing scientific theory and possibilities?

Example: The possibility that the gulf stream could shut down etc.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by PeteTPP]

Soothsayer, yes, but you've already posted and i've topped your entry already too.

scientifically accurate, no it's still fiction, but yes it can be based on non fiction events. Summer should be in the story, it's a required element, how much you get into it or what you do from here on with it, is up to you.

[edit on 7-18-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
WorldWatcher, thanks for the response, I shall get on it right away

After having read a few of the other entries, I thought I would take the chance... seems everyone is reponding to the "500 word" suggestion... hope it isn't too lengthy, but if it is... well, too late now, huh?

Good luck and best wishes to all parties involved.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wow....all this exitment! This is KEWL! Makes me want to brush off my quill of all the cobwebs! Bummer I have been USING my quill to dust the cobwebs

I don't really think I will get anything together for submission, but I still want to read what you others are doing!
I only SEE one story on this thread however.........so, WHERE do I find the stories at? Doesnt seem like they are really in THIS thread, and I am missing where they really are at? Are they all submitted seperatly in the CF forums or what?

DUH me........looking...........watching....where are the stories at?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here's a link to the stories. They are in the short story section.

Short Stories

Wupy

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Thank you THANK YOU mrwupy!
I was wondering

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've made the 3rd installment in my story and would appricate opinions greatly. Here's the link: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Again, I would appricate opinions greatly. I don't want my story to fall on deaf ears.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Don't sweat it... alot of the entries haven't received comments.

Although feedback would probably be appreciated in many cases, look at things this way: who does one write for, themselves, or others?

Besides, just look the number of times your (or any other) thread has been viewed... that could be used as a good basis on how well you are being received by ATS as a whole.

**EDIT**

One question: How will the entries be judged?

From reading the various entries, I've noticed the different styles, themes, techniques, etcetera... how can the "best" be picked when not two stories fall into the same story genre?

[edit on 18-7-2005 by soothsayer]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
And I would like to know that if Im not in 1st 2nd or 3rd place do I still get a rating. I mean how would I know if I was second in line for 3rd place or plain old last place?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I will provide at the end of the contest, what my guidelines were for judging the contest. The three elements of course play a part, as well as spelling/grammar and last the judges' personal preference.

I will provide a score for each entry regardless if the story won or not and a little sampling of the critique I may get back.

But each submission will definitely get a comment from me at least when the contest is over.

hoped that helped to clarify things a bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join