It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40,000 yr human footprint found in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
In an abandoned quarry south of Mexico City, British scientists believe they have found a 40,000 year-old human footprint. Up until now, the prevalent theory has been that humans first came to North America about 13,500 years ago via a land bridge from Asia, after the last ice age. To date, all the tools found have supported the "Clovis Model", as they were younger than that age. However, if verified, this footprint would force scientists to reconsider alternative theories for the origins of Native Americans.

edition.cnn.com
"The existence of 40,000 year-old human footprints in Mexico means that the 'Clovis First' model of human occupation can no longer be accepted as the first evidence of human presence in the Americas," said David Huddart, a professor at Liverpool John Moores University, and a collaborator on the discovery.

Gonzalez said the findings supported a theory that the first colonies may have arrived by water, using the Pacific coast migration route, rather than by foot.

"We think there were several migration waves into the Americas at different times by different human groups," she said.

The findings are being exhibited as part of a summer exhibition at London's prestigious scientific academy, the Royal Society.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally I find this to be rather fascinating, though I'm a tad put out that scientists from somewhere other than North or South America found it. I don't hold it against the British though; if the footprint is real, this is the anthropological find of the century (next to the Hobbit, that is).

40,000 years, while a geologically miniscule timeframe, is to humans about eight times as far back as our oldest known civilization. Even if simple ships were used, such as triremes, this would indicate a remarkable level of sophistication, an understanding of higher math, navigational skills, and abilities to survive extreme changes in both climate, food supply, and obtaining fresh water in an unfamiliar environment.

I would be interested to see if the 40,000 year-old skull found in Borneo in 1958 is in any way related. If so, perhaps something happened during that time that caused a massive migration via the water. Considering the periodicity of Earth's axial tilt is every 41,000 years, and we're seeing some temperature extremes right now, we may be seeing the beginnings of what our ancient ancestors went through.

(sets an egg timer, then waits for the evolutionists vs. the creationists to duke it out)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.geo.arizona.edu
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.earthisland.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Round 1. The Vagabond V thelibra: Global Warming
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
"Hobbits" in Indonesia-- Can Leprechaun fossils be far behind?
Why is their no Ancient Civilization in North America?

[edit on 5-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
good info, and good writting... just a little late on the draw...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I agree with LazarusTheLong. It was good, but too late.

Here`s the link to the other ATSNN story :
NEWS: New Theory On Americas Discovery (by soapydodger)

Don`t delete it though. It can still make a good thread in an ATS forum.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't believe it. A footprint? Wow, I am utterly unimpressed. Maybe if they were able to find an artifact that can help establish a genuine date rather than a hole in the ground, I'd be more convinced.

top topics

join