It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Whats the scoup on global warming? Has anyone herd of the hockey stick chart??
I am very puzzled to know what to think about global warming...Fact VS. Myth!!??

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It is a real issue. IT is a problem, we are putting/relaesing more chemicals and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, than is normal or safe.
This is speeding up everything, environmentally.

The trees are actually changng the way that they process CD because of the surplus of it in the environ.

Hmmmmmmmm. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Global warming is an issue but I will not blame what we humans has done to our earth more than taking in consideration that climatic changes are part of the earth cycle.

The climatic changes comes and go every or ten to twelve thousand years.

Our earth is ready for another mayor climatic change and it will happen regardless of humans, chemicals or other problems.

So get ready because the ride is just starting.

BTW we survived the last one.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Isn't the direct result of global warming a ice age? I remeber something from science class that there are currents that manage the temperature of the earth and if there is less salt in the water (more water from melting ice caps dilutes the salt water) that it begins to cool the planet down.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
people say "natural climate change"

the problem is that natural climate change is relatively peaceful, and we're getting an increase in severe weather conditions.

the severe weather is nature's way of equalizing the climate, it happens naturally when there is a sudden meteorilogical shift, something that nature doesn't do on its own

pumping billions of tons of carbon into the air is going to hurt the environment

there are glaciers that my great aunt used to visit in the rockies when she was a kid that are now lakes...

if that isn't a sign of something being severly out of whack i don't know what is

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
In my Geology 100 class, I've heard my professor talk about climatic change and global warming as an interrelated subject.

On a natural scale, the Earth goes through warming and cooling periods, but this is along great spans of time, not within a couple hundred years.

The effects we are dealing with now are because of our continuous pumping of toxic (not good for you) elements into the atmosphere and nature, not because of a natural climatic change. We possibly could be fast forwarding the process, by thus not giving natural life (plants, animals) and humans time to adjust to these changes.

However, this goes beyond just that when considering the effects of chemicals, don't expect to munch on processed foods and not get cancer..

Global Warming ---> Definate bite back at human culture for their quick and easy methods of pollution.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I know the earth does go through climent changes but I feel that the problem is being understated when people say that what is hapening is part of the natchural climent change. Hear is a quote from a study that was done on PBS dealing with the intenistiy of the sun.

NOVA "Dimming Sun"
Tuesday, April 18, 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET (check local listings)
As global warming turns up the heat, researchers are stunned to discover that our planet is actually growing dimmer. Increasing air pollution allows less and less sunlight to reach earth's surface, a "global dimming" that's linked to severe droughts. In an even more alarming twist, there is concern that solving the dimming problem could greatly accelerate global warming, melting ice caps and flooding coastal cities. NOVA examines this baffling climate conundrum and follows the implications of the discovery for our planet's future.
pbs.org/nova/

and the link to the page
www.pbs.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Hear is another pretty good video.
its bout a min and a half long.
video.google.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Heh, this was kinda funny.

We're on a website who many members of attribute global warming to just another conspiracy.

What did I just see at the top of my ATS?

A banner ad that simply said, in big fat letters, "HELP FIGHT GLOBAL WARMING!".

I personally have a hard time believing that global warming trends are a negative effect of humankind on this planet rather than our planet's natural cycles staying in order.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yes earth goes through natural changes.

The problems is . . . that we are more aware of our environment, we are more educated and is more human population in earth.

Occurs the tolls of human lives due to climatic changes and disasters that will come with will be very substantial compare to the cave man days.

At least most educated people will not blame it to God been trying to teach us a lesson.

But that doesn't mean that many will try.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Marge,

I believe it is natural.

science.nasa.gov...

We've had some cool summers lately and the Sun is off peak.

Look out when the next Solar Maximum comes around. You'll hear the global warmers perk-up.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Marge,

I believe it is natural.

science.nasa.gov...

We've had some cool summers lately and the Sun is off peak.

Look out when the next Solar Maximum comes around. You'll hear the global warmers perk-up.

natural! you think the oceans temprature rise of 3degress and the melting of almost half the ice caps was natural????

not its not natural at all. natural is when a volcano erupts spewing sulpher into the atmosphere. not when all the ice caps melt at the same time.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
There is evidence that two inter-glacial ago the period of time of glaciation and inter-glacial were more equal and the West Antarctic ice sheet totally melted and the Arctic ocean was ice-free. This could be a similar inter-glacial and a return to a more normal warming and cooling. We are still in a Ice epoch for all the scientists know.The rise and fall of ocean levels is more normal than is contained in your philosophy.The whole period of time of the cooling (first 60 million yrs and then the glaciation 2.4 million yrs ) is a drop in the bucket of geologic time. We couldn't hold back global warming if we wanted to and to make it all even more impossible it may be Sun related(I'm supposing you looked at my link-Deny Ignorance). 80% of Earth's history there were no polar ice caps at all. We are living in rare times. Ocean levels have been known to as much as 600 ft higher in the not too distant past(cretaceous) due to no ice and water expansion due to heating of the oceans(tropical paradise).

Go figure!

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Actually from the last ice age to what we are experiencing right now is not a big difference.

130,000 years ago we do not have the amoung of population we have today and still the earth did what earth wanted to do.

The time span of the last 130,000 years has seen the global climate system switch from warm interglacial to cold glacial conditions, and back again. This broad interglacial-glacial-interglacial climate oscillation has been recurring on a similar periodicity for about the last 900,000 years, though each individual cycle has had its own idiosyncrasies in terms of the timing and magnitude of changes.

www.esd.ornl.gov...

Earth went from warm like todays weather, 130,000-110,000 years ago.

Cooling about 110,000 years ago.

In-between 60,000-55,000 years ago.

Cooling again After about 30,000 years ago.

After that has been difference mix of clima variations.

So who should we blame for the last ice age?

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This some of what may be happening to our planet, I mean, for the cause of it, though it is a natural occurance on a much more grander and unexperienced scale of what has only been "Possibility" opposed of it being an "Absolute Fact's".

It is a really strong read for the inquirer's of such a theory, but they have been studying this "Possible effect for a long time now, just know way to proove it till it happen's. We live in a strange Universe, and it is a play of the statement "Anything Goes." But, for us contributing to the warming, maybe some, but there are other explanation's, even theorie's that have to be taken into consideration, and "Hyperdiminsional Theorie's" do fall into that catagory.Read it and see what you think of the "Feasability" of such a grand thing happening.

But, if the known changes in solar output are due to hyperdimensional effects of the largest known planets, what of the magnitude of "aether stress" produced by our proposed "new planets" -- with angular momentum contributions hundreds of times greater?; the long-term cyclic increase in solar energy created by those cyclic phasings (yet-to-be-experienced in recorded history ...) could measure as much as several percent above current solar output. This is more than enough additional energy -- even without Mankind's current addition of significant "greenhouse gasses" to the atmosphere -- to trigger profound, millennia-long climatic changes here on Earth--
Including ... melting ice caps; rising ocean levels; dramatic changes in jet stream altitudes and activity; increased tornado intensities; increased hurricane wind velocities ... and--
A permanent "El Nino" (whose warmest waters, satellites report, are at ... ~19.5 degrees).
And that's saying nothing about HD energy added to the internal workings of our planet ...
From all indications, we are now well into just such a new, long-term, cyclic solar period ...

the source and the explanation of these finding's:

www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The problem with all the doom and gloomers is most scientists talk inevitable change over centuries. Just slow enough so we can all adjust. Some book sellers jump in there with all kinds of doom senerios and frighten the little people.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
As I said in one the posts in the ATS forums, we don't have enough power to cause this global warming. And that many predictions I have come across with, incuding my own, is that after an unusually hot year of weather, followed by a weird but sorta cold year of weather, then the Earth will start to cool in a decade or two maximum, entering the new and inevitable Ice Age. But just to clear this whole "whose fault is it" up, WE ARE NOT THE CAUSE OF THIS

The earth is just on its normal ice age cycles that we just happen to be overdue for.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
[edit on 7-8-2006 by kid301]

link   

link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join