It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China, at odds with Vatican, arrests Bishop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A U.S. religious rights group has indicated that the government of China has arrested an underground Roman Catholic bishop. China which does not have ties with the Vatican requires believers to attend state-sanctioned churches. These churches are led by bishops that swear loyalty to Beijing. However, there is an underground church that remains loyal to the Vatican.

news.yahoo.com
BEIJING (Reuters) - China, which does not recognize the Vatican, has arrested an underground Roman Catholic bishop, a U.S.-based religious rights group said, quashing hopes of any sudden rapprochement between Beijing and the Holy See.

China has not had diplomatic relations with the Vatican since 1951 and believers must attend state-sanctioned churches led by bishops who pledge loyalty to Beijing. But a parallel church loyal to the Pope practices in secret.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well judging by the way China has behaved in such matters its not surprising. I can see how the bishop was a threat to national security. At any rate it will be interesting to see if the Vatican ramps up pressure on China to release the bishop. I also found interesting the statement by the Vatican tat it had 8 million followers in China. Not a huge percentage of the population, but far more than I would have ever imagined.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Although the statment posted hear did not say why the bishop was arrested, if it was just because he is a cathloic biship, then that is wrong and I hope he will be relised.
But aside from that, this is kind of the same story that has been repeated through out history as long as there has been such a thing as religen.
Some governing body does not like a religen, or can not control a religen, so they out law it and arrest all its preachers and or followers. The same does happen in other countries, some times by the Gov, other times by the mob.
The Cathloic church if nothing else is organised, so if any one can break this trend, maby it will be them

To those of you who belive in anything, lets hope and pray that this matter gets resolved.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This is why i have no worry of China becoming a true threat for America...

they are going along doing well, and building an empire and war machine...
they even improved there public perception to the point of winning a popularity poll...

and just like they always have (you can set a friin clock by it) the government goes and commits a massive PR nightmare like offending half of the worlds Christian population...(actually more than half)

That is the kind of massive offense that only a country like China can do...
everyone else knows... you don't mess with the white robe guys...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Really, what is anyone going to do about this? If the Bishop was a Chinese Citizen that was simply puting his loyalty and faith in the Vatican, nothing will happen to China. A tiny little thing like the Vatican will never be able to affect a giant like China. You think the Vatican will urge Roman-Catholics or anyone to boycott all Chinese products or something in response to this?
I feel sorrow for the man be persecuted for his teachings and beliefs but nothing will come of this. They may even go as far as executing the man and it will be as if any other typical execution in a Chinese day. God Bless.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
A tiny little thing like the Vatican will never be able to affect a giant like China.

You don't know a whole lot about the communist mind set do you?

Originally posted by DYepes
You think the Vatican will urge Roman-Catholics or anyone to boycott all Chinese products or something in response to this?

No, that would be stupid, you'd only hurt the poorest people by doing this, if the vatican has any sainity, they wouldn't stoop to this, nor should they have to.

Originally posted by DYepesI feel sorrow for the man be persecuted for his teachings and beliefs but nothing will come of this. They may even go as far as executing the man and it will be as if any other typical execution in a Chinese day. God Bless.

typical execution in a Chinese day? generalisation?

anyone else notice those preaching faith are offering rather odd conclusions?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
China does what it wants. China will continue to do what it wants. Perhaps' a bit more sensitive to their possible loss of billions of dollars in their export areas. Aressting a Bishop without real world cause may be something (once into the media) they will reconsider or put damn good reason down to try to justify it?

Dallas

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I dont know Azza why don't you give me some insight to the communist mind set. Or what the Vatican may do in order to save this mans life?

As far as executions in China. According to this from Amnesty International

For those sentenced during the "Strike Hard" campaign "justice" is swift and ruthless. Under pressure to produce results, police have been reporting extraordinary "successes". In Hunan province during a "Spring Thunder" operation from 23-25 April, police boasted of "solving 3,000 cases" in two days. In Sichuan province, police reported that they had "cracked" 6,704 cases, including 691murders, robberies or bombings, in six days from 19-24 April, apprehending 19,446 people.

Under such circumstances, the possibilities of miscarriages of justice and the execution of innocent people are immense. Police and prosecutors have been urged to cut corners, and not to "get entangled in the detail", so as to achieve "quick approval, quick arrest, quick trial and quick results". At meetings to prepare for "Strike Hard", lawyers were reportedly called on to cooperate with the police and prosecution, and not to hold up the judicial process. Courts have boasted of their speed and "special procedures" during the campaign.

nine out of ten government executions take place in China

I would say my conclusions are less odd and probably a bit more realistic. If what this bishop has indeed done is a state-crime more likely than not he will be executed. I pray for the man and know his good deeds will earn him a place with God in heaven, but I try to be realistic as to the outcome of his fate. Of course the good thing about death is that it will be the end of suffering.

top topics

join