It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon FAQ (by dragonsdemesne)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If you check that quote, it doesnt even say that the book of mormon is equal to the Bible. It says Joseph Smiths' book is MORE IMPORTANT than the Bible, being the "most correct" and men would be closer to God by following this book more "than by any other book".

The book of mormon is not just an "addition" to the bible, it is "superior" book, according to the mormon religion.

---Pineapple

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Hi there,
I hope that you don't consider this to be "bashing" because I really want to know the truth, as I have a friend who is a Mormon.

I don't think your post was bashing; they seem like honest questions to me.

Last summer, a couple of Mormons came to my door and after a few minutes of conversation with them, they gave me a copy of their "Book of Mormon."

I started reading it, and noticed that it said in Joseph Smith's Testimony,

"While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside, standing in the air, for his feet did not touch the floor."

Then it goes on to describe what the "angel of light" was wearing and his hands and feet, etc.

Then a few paragraphs later, Smith says:

"He called me by name and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me and that his name was Moroni;..."

Now, check out this passage from the Bible.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness;..."

How do Mormons get around this?

I've seen this point made several times, actually. (I've also seen this verse used in regards to Gabriel and the Koran) From those verses in 2 Corinthians, it does say that Satan can appear as an angel of light. However, at least when I read that chapter, there is nothing that says all beings that appear to be angels of light are devils. To me, the verse says that Satan can take the appearance of an angel of light, but I read nothing there that says there can't be angels of light from God, also. As to which Moroni was, you'll have to decide that on your own.

Another thing,
Since the 2 guys that came to my door had a "Bible" that had both the Old and New Testaments as well as the "Book of Mormon" all bound up into a single volume.

Revelation 22:18 says "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

I've also seen this point a few times. The "book" referred to in that verse is not the Bible. The "book" referred to is the book of Revelation. Because Revelation appears as the last book in most Bibles (all the ones I've ever seen that included it, had it in the very back) it is a common misunderstanding. A similar argument could be made about Deuteronomy 4:2, which reads (KJV):

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Using that verse, I could (erroneously) also argue that all the scripture written after Deuteronomy was false, in much the same way as some do with the verse in Revelation.

The Mormons have added their book onto the Holy Bible, considering it equal. In the introduction, it says,

"Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: 'I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by it's precepts, than by any other book."

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

If the Bible is all we need in life, then why have the Mormons added their book to it?

I'm not quite sure how the biblical quote above connects with the question you are asking, so my answer may be way off; I'll try, anyway.

The Bible is an excellent book. It has much important information about God and His plan for the world and what we as human beings are supposed to be doing. There is in the Book of Mormon also many important teachings as well. Many of them do overlap with the Bible, but some do not; for example, the Book of Mormon says that baptizing babies is wrong, and the Bible doesn't mention this issue at all. There are several things that occur in only one of the Bible or Book of Mormon and not the other, so having both gives you more information. Also, for the stuff that is common to the two, for example, the Beattitudes (sp?) it is always good to have two sources that say the same thing; it makes it more reliable and believable.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pineappleupsidedown
If you check that quote, it doesnt even say that the book of mormon is equal to the Bible. It says Joseph Smiths' book is MORE IMPORTANT than the Bible, being the "most correct" and men would be closer to God by following this book more "than by any other book".

The book of mormon is not just an "addition" to the bible, it is "superior" book, according to the mormon religion.

---Pineapple

The primary reason that Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon was 'more correct' was because of the method of translation. The Book of Mormon was (according to our belief) translated directly from whatever language the Nephites spoke into English, by using the Urim and Thummim and the power of God; hence it is as perfect a translation as is possible.

The Bible was translated by men, who, while likely quite intelligent and scholarly, couldn't have produced perfect translations on their own without God. They could have either mistranslated something, or their personal biases could have affected the way they translated something. The very fact that dozens of versions of the Bible exist points to this fact, especially when, if you compare them, in some places the meaning of a particular verse is quite different from one version to another. (although most of the time it is similar)

So I think the phrases 'superior' and 'most correct' refer to the quality of the translation, rather than the quality of the message.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I have read many things about Mormons, and heard many stories from ex-mormons..... So I would like to ask a few questions to see if these stories, read and heard is a form of disinformation...

What is the relationship between Jesus and Lucifer

Why do you wear Magic Underwear (probably not the best term for it) with masonic symbolism on it, and why must you wear it 24/7.

Why are some statues at some mormon churches have adam and eve offering wheat/fruits on the sacrificial alter instead of a lamb (which coincidently is comfortably sitting by the alters side)...a sign that Cains gift to god is is the prefered?

Why are Mormon rituals similar to masons (including that of using the thumb to represent a knife slicing the throat from ear to ear if secrets of the church are revelead)

Thats all for now,

Kind Regards
Merger

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

What is the relationship between Jesus and Lucifer

To explain this, I'll have to give a bit of background first, and I'll try to do the Coles' notes version
Mormon belief says that before the earth was created, everybody's spirits lived with God. That's you, me, Jesus, Lucifer, everyone who is dead, alive, or as yet unborn. (the unborn are still with God) Mormons call this time the 'pre-existence'. God wanted His children (all of us) to experience life in a mortal body, in order to further spiritually progress. In that way, all of God's children (everybody who has or ever will live) are spiritual brothers and sisters, which includes Jesus and Lucifer. Most anti-mormons don't like the idea that Lucifer is our (and Jesus') spiritual brother, and they like to bring that up a lot. (I have a feeling that might be what prompted this question, but that's just a guess)

So He basically then planned out the Creation, and showed the plan to everyone. Then God needed a savior for His plan, someone who would be able to atone for everybody's sins, since He knew that we were all going to sin at some point in our lives (many times...)

God got two volunteers: Jesus and Lucifer. Jesus said to God that he would do whatever God wanted, and that all the honor should go to God. Lucifer wanted to force everybody to be 'good' (wanting to strip away everybody's ability to choose their own destiny) so that no one would sin and then he wanted to get all the honor and glory and credit for himself.

God picked Jesus. Lucifer did not like that at all, to put it mildly. He convinced a third of the spirits that his way was better. God cast them out and they went to hell and became the sons of perdition.

Lucifer has since spent all his time basically trying to screw up God's plan by tempting humankind to sin whenever he can. Lucifer also tries to mess up God's work, like in the Bible when he appeared to Jesus while he was doing the forty day fast and tried to get him to turn a rock into bread, leap off a cliff and have angels save him, and tried to get Jesus to worship him instead of God. If you have ever read the account of what is known as the 'First Vision', where Joseph Smith first saw God and Jesus, you will read that when Joseph tried to pray to God, Satan tried to stop him, but God protected him.

From Joseph Smith history 1:14-17, taken from scriptures.lds.org... (first person account by joseph Smith)

14 So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally.

15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction.

16 But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.

17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

edit to fix lousy typos

[edit on 9-3-2006 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Why do you wear Magic Underwear (probably not the best term for it) with masonic symbolism on it, and why must you wear it 24/7.

Well, we don't call it magic underwear, obviously, but I know what you are talking about. We call them the 'temple garments.' I'm probably not supposed to say this, since us Mormons don't usually discuss temple stuff outside the temple, but they do in fact have two masonic symbols on them, the sun and the compass. One is over each breast (I forget which is on which side). These garments are not worn until a Mormon has gone through the temple and experienced what is known as the 'endowment ceremony'.

Now, I can't tell you a lot about this, both because we aren't supposed to, and because I myself have not gone through this ceremony, but essentially you make a bunch of promises to follow God's commandments and that sort of thing, kind of like we do at baptism. Anyhow, after this ceremony, as a sign to God that you remember the promises you made to him, you are supposed to wear the garments. People go through to get their endowments either before they serve a mission, before they have a temple marriage, or, if neither occurs before they turn 25, they can get them after that point. (I didn't serve a mission, I'm not married, and I'll be 24 on saturday, so still a year to go for that)

So yeah, it's essentially a self-reminder of the promise to follow God and lead a good life, and it's worn all the time so you don't forget. Other than a few activities like swimming or sleeping (or other bedroom stuff...) or certain sports activities, they're worn pretty much all the time.

Why are some statues at some mormon churches have adam and eve offering wheat/fruits on the sacrificial alter instead of a lamb (which coincidently is comfortably sitting by the alters side)...a sign that Cains gift to god is is the prefered?

I have absolutely no idea; I have never seen a mormon church that had this. If I ever come across this, I'll get back to you on it.

Why are Mormon rituals similar to masons (including that of using the thumb to represent a knife slicing the throat from ear to ear if secrets of the church are revelead)

There's been a lot of discussion about this issue over the years. Here is a link I found where someone asks the same question, and three people's attempts to give an explanation to it. Again, not having gone through the endowment, and also not being a mason, I'm not an expert on this topic, though I have done some reading on it.

Another possible explanation I've read about is that the masons managed to preserve parts of the temple ritual from centuries ago, before it was lost by Christianity. When Joseph Smith founded (or 'restored' the church, depending on your point of view) he included the temple rituals the way that they were supposed to be. Personally, I have trouble with this explanation, because traditional history points to masonry being a much more modern organisation that isn't old enough to have had access to the original rituals. Some anti-masons do claim that masonry has existed under other guises throughout most of history, but I'm not knowledgable enough about masonry to know whether that is true or false.

The symbolism with the thumb going across the throat is probably (this is my opinion) meant to emphasize how seriously we are supposed to take the promises made in the temple to God. It doesn't mean that we should be literally disemboweled. One of the things you promise to do in the temple ceremony is not to reveal it outside the temple because of its sacredness. If someone were to reveal it (and this has happened many times, as five seconds on google will show) then God would naturally be displeased, since you would be profaning the sacred, as well as breaking your promise to Him.

Hope that helped... see you around

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Thank you for your replies, much apprecated, and yes, your guess about my asking of relationship of Jesus and Lucifer was quite correct.

Here is the picture of adam/eve and their offering at a mormon church in Utah

Also want to ask another question..... are there blacks in the mormon faith? Only reason I ask is that as you stated 1/3 of spiritual brothers went to hell without the choice of having a body... I then did some research and found 1/3 of spiritual brothers (being mormons) went and inhabited the bodies of mormons on earth..... and the 1/3 that did not fight or choose......were sent to inhabit the bodies of the blacks..... is this story correct or???

Your replies are much appreciated

Kind Regards
Merger

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Also want to ask another question..... are there blacks in the mormon faith?

Yes, there are. I know a few myself, but there aren't a lot of black people where I live; I don't know very many black people, mormon or not. The Mormon church is actually growing faster in places like Africa and especially South America. Obviously, Africa has many black people, and some countries in S.A. have lots, like Brazil. I don't know what kind of statistics there are on the number of blacks in the church, except to say that there are definitely black Mormons. I've even seen a few websites devoted specifically to black Mormons, like BlackLDS.org and the Genesis group. Browsing a bit on those websites, you will find that there are black Seventies in charge of the genesis group. (the third highest office in the church, after the Prophet and the Apostles)

reason I ask is that as you stated 1/3 of spiritual brothers went to hell without the choice of having a body...

That is correct, according to Mormon theology. By supporting Satan/Lucifer, they were expelled from the presence of God forever.

and the 1/3 that did not fight or choose......were sent to inhabit the bodies of the blacks..... is this story correct or???

I've come across this or statements like it on a few anti-mormon websites. I have never found anything in mormon scripture or doctrine or books or anything that supports it. To the best of my knowledge, the above quote is false, and black people in the pre-existence (if there even was such a thing as different races then, since we didn't have bodies...) were no more or less involved than anyone else, i.e. 2/3 of blacks supported God and 1/3 did not, just as any other race.

Now, in regards to the Adam & Eve picture you posted, it does seem slightly familiar, but I can't put my finger on where I might have seen it; possibly in a photograph or painting or church magazine or something, I don't know. I've been trying to think of what that scene might represent or mean, but I'm not really sure. I think it's quite likely that the lamb is symbolic of Jesus Christ (a.k.a the Lamb of God) but that's just a guess. The way they are kneeling in front of the altar also reminds me of the position taken during the sealing ceremony in the temple, which I have seen once, when I was a kid, but I have no idea if that is coincidence or not. Also, in that ceremony, I think the husband and wife clasp hands across the altar, if I remember right, which they are not doing there.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I know you talked a little about this before, but could you please revisit the reason why mormons cannot drink tea, specifically flavors such as mint or berries.

You can eat mint leaves, you can use mint extract, you can have mint-flavored foods, you can drink heated water, yet when you pour hot water over mint leaves it makes it bad?

---Pineapple

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm not really sure the reason why, actually, except that it states in D&C 89:9, fairly explicitly, that "9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly". I've never seen an explanation, but since many of the other things in D&C 89 (called The Word of Wisdom) that are listed, like alcohol and tobacco, have solid health reasons behind them, I would make a guess that it is along those lines.

So the real reason is basically "because it says not to." People used to wonder the same about things like tobacco, until they were proved harmful. I'd imagine that most Mormons believe that, eventually, science will show that drinking hot drinks is harmful, in the way that science eventually proved smoking tobacco isn't healthy, which was not known in 1833.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
My point is, nothing by itself is harmful, even by mormon standards.

You can have broth(in soup) and hot apple cider, both hot liquids.
and you can have mint.

So why not both at the same time?

If they were banning you from having a certain ingredient (such as tobacco), then I wouldnt question it.

But how this works, its basically saying "you can have tobacco, as long as you dont pour hot water over it"

Doesnt make sense

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I suppose it does seem kind of strange. Maybe it is the hot water that is considered the harmful part, not the leaves? Just a guess. I'm not really sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

I've come across this or statements like it on a few anti-mormon websites. I have never found anything in mormon scripture or doctrine or books or anything that supports it. To the best of my knowledge, the above quote is false, and black people in the pre-existence (if there even was such a thing as different races then, since we didn't have bodies...) were no more or less involved than anyone else, i.e. 2/3 of blacks supported God and 1/3 did not, just as any other race.

Hey there D.D.

In earlier versions of the BoM like that my grandmother has there are references to those with "dark" skin and how that someday they may become "white and delightful" - I understand in newer versions of the BoM that has been changed to read "light and delightful". There are also a few distasteful things in the Book of Abraham/Pearl of Great Price. But the worse things were taught from the pulpit, by not only GAs but the prophets themselves.

Some quotes from some of the church heirarchy. *note I limited this to only a few that can be directly quoted to a single individual*

You see some classes of the human family that are BLACK, UNCOUTH, UNCOMELY, DISAGREEABLE and LOW in their habits, WILD, and seemingly DEPRIVED OF NEARLY ALL THE BLESSINGS OF THE INTELLIGENCE that is generally bestowed upon mankind. The first man that committed the odious crime of killing one of his brethren will be cursed the longest of any one of the children of Adam. Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been KILLED, and THAT WOULD HAVE PUT A TERMINATION TO THAT LINE OF HUMAN BEINGS. This was not to be, and the Lord put A MARK upon him, which is THE FLAT NOSE AND BLACK SKIN. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race -- that they should be the "servants of servants;" and they will be, until that curse is removed; and the Abolitionists cannot help it, nor in the least alter that decree." LDS "Prophet" Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, p. 290, 1859."

""Though he was a rebel and an ASSOCIATE OF LUCIFER IN PRE-EXISTENCE, ...Cain managed to attain the privilege of mortal birth.... [H]e came out in open rebellion, fought God, worshiped Lucifer, and slew Abel.... AS A RESULT OF HIS REBELLION, CAIN WAS CURSED WITH A DARK SKIN; HE BECAME THE FATHER OF THE NEGROES, and THOSE SPIRITS WHO ARE NOT WORTHY to receive the priesthood are born through his lineage." LDS "Apostle" Bruce McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 108-109, 1966 edition"

"...[F]rom Ham sprang the race which preserved the curse in the land." LDS Pearl of Great Price, Abraham 1:24."

"Not only was Cain called upon to suffer, but because of his wickedness he became THE FATHER OF AN INFERIOR RACE. A curse was placed upon him and that curse has been continued through his lineage and must do so WHILE TIME ENDURES. Millions of souls have come into this world cursed with a BLACK SKIN and have been DENIED THE PRIVILEGE OF PRIESTHOOD and the fulness of the blessings of the Gospel. These are the descendants of Cain. Moreover, they have been made to FEEL THEIR INFERIORITY and have been SEPARATED from the rest of mankind from the beginning. Enoch saw the people of Canaan, descendants of Cain, and he says, 'and there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were DESPISED AMONG ALL PEOPLE.'" LDS "Prophet" Joseph Fielding Smith, The Way to Perfection, pp. 101-102, 1931."

"THE NEGROES ARE NOT EQUAL WITH OTHER RACES where the receipt of certain spiritual blessings are concerned, ...but this inequality is not of man's origin. IT IS THE LORD'S DOING, is based on his eternal laws of justice, and grows out of the LACK OF SPIRITUAL VALIANCE OF THOSE CONCERNED IN THEIR FIRST ESTATE [the Mormon pre-existence]." LDS "Apostle" Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 527 - 528, 1966 edition"

The entire list can be found here - link - and you can verify them through the source documents referenced. If you ever have a chance, I know they are getting hard to come by (go figure - lol) but the Journal of Discourses are a shocking and interesting read.

Really despicable stuff dd

B.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I took a look at that link, and for my own interest, made a list of everyone who said disrespectful things about non-caucasian races and the number of instances:
Mark E Petersen 1111 = 4 (apostle)
Bruce R McConkie 11111111 = 8 (apostle)
Brigham Henry Roberts 1111 = 4 (seventy)
Brigham Young 1111111111 = 10 (president)
D&C/BoM/PGP 111111 = 6 (mormon scriptures other than the bible)
John Taylor 1 = 1 (president)
Joseph Fielding Smith 11 = 2 (president)
Oliver Cowdery 1 = 1 (first presidency, witness to book of mormon)

Much of my study of church history has been of the Joseph Smith years, so the vast majority of those quotes I had not seen, though some of the Brigham Young ones I recognized, and the ones in mormon scriptures.

I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I respect all people equally and I judge people by who they are, not what part of the world they were born in. (although, according to scriptures, I'm not supposed to judge anybody at all... oops)

Frankly, I'm disappointed that some of the church leaders said these things. It isn't possible to defend their comments, but I think it would be accurate to say that the majority of Mormons believe that all races are equal in the eyes of God. Certainly, that is the case where I live, and of the general authority talks that have been given in my lifetime, I cannot recall anything ugly being said about nonwhite races.

I definitely want to read the Journal of Discourses someday; as of yet, I haven't had the opportunity. Unfortunately, it's really long, something like twenty-odd volumes, and as such is a little bit out of my price range right now. My local institute of religion does have a copy of it, though (it fills an entire row on a bookcase, lol) so maybe they would let me borrow it someday, if I ever get the time. I'd also like to get a copy of some of those other quoted works, too; I think I remember seeing McConkie's "Mormon Doctrine" there as well, so I'll have to check out those quotes. I have never heard of Mark Petersen or that talk, or of B.H. Roberts' book "First Year Book in the Seventy's Course in Theology" but I will try to look for those, also.

I was also rather surprised to see that BH Roberts made several of those statements. About a year ago, I read a biography of him, and I did not get the impression from that book that he was bigoted in any way. I actually had quite a bit of respect for him after reading that book, and of reading some of the other stuff he did, but now my opinion of him has dropped somewhat; those kind of comments simply should not be made.

In earlier versions of the BoM like that my grandmother has there are references to those with "dark" skin and how that someday they may become "white and delightful" - I understand in newer versions of the BoM that has been changed to read "light and delightful"

I'd heard that too, awhile back. I checked my grandma's older BoM , and there are 2 or 3 verses where the word "white" has been replaced with "pure". (not with "light", as you stated, or at least not in any instances I am aware of)

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
DD, i believe i read that you have not taken out your endowments yet... is this correct?

do you believe in mass manipulation? Using fear as a control?

the reason i ask if your endowed is because of some simple yet powerful points that are highly questionable in the endowment.
have you read thru the scripts of the current and previous endowments?

the sculpture of adam and eve over the altar is seen at temple square. i never noticed they were offering what cain offered... not sure if that is what is depicted here.

the reason why you shouldnt drink coffee is due to the high addiction of caffine. problems it causes with the heart. mormons CAN drink mint tea, or green tea. it doesnt matter if the drink is hot. mormons in argentina and southern america drink Yerba Mate, a hot drink that is hi in caffine. energy drinks, coke, even chocolate contain caffine. my friends mother recieved the ok to drink coffee from her bishop to help her digestion. ??? samoan mormons drink kava, it causes a drunk effect which is based on their tradition.

there are many quesitonable items to discuss.
[edit on 2-6-2006 by r i p]

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   

i believe i read that you have not taken out your endowments yet... is this correct?

That is correct.

do you believe in mass manipulation? Using fear as a control?

Definitely. Look at the way the US is acting and has acted in the Mideast recently. WMDs in Iraq! Be afraid! Iran wants to nuke everybody! Be very afraid! Yeah, it's definitely possible, and not only that, it's everywhere.

the reason i ask if your endowed is because of some simple yet powerfull points that are highly questionable in the endowment.

have you read thru the scripts of the current and previous endowments?

I have browsed through them, but I haven't studied them much, since I'm not really supposed to have knowledge of them until I go through for myself, I've been a bit reluctant to do more than that. I do have some copies of them on my computer somewhere. If you are more specific, I can take a look at them in more detail and get back to you.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
there all online and exposed

here is a quote i didnt enjoy hearning from the light bearer...

LUCIFER: Aah! You have looked over my kingdom, and my greatness and glory. Now you want to take possession of the whole of it. (Lucifer turns, and stares into the camera). I have a word to say concerning these people. If they do not walk up to every covenant they make at these altars in this temple this day, they will be in my power!

there are other things but i dont feel comfortable getting into specifics...

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
what is your opinion on changing the endowment? j.s. himself said the endowment has and always will be the same. this is in the book teachings of the prophet joseph smith?

i think its good that you know so much about church and the temple. you wont be as shocked as i was when i went the first time.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This might sound like a stupid question.... but why do Mormons wear magic underwear??

I have a friend that was brought up Mormon, and he told me that when you get married, you have to wear a specific type of underwear from then on (it should be noted that this friend has not been a practicing Mormon for at least the past decade-- and perhaps things have changed since then??)

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
r i p:

I'm not personally bothered by the changes in the endowment ceremony, although I can understand how some would be. To me, the words are less important than the actual meaning behind what you are doing. I feel that the endowment is a means of growing closer to God, and that the specific words used in it are less important than what you get out of it.

It's kind of like comparing two Bible translations. Whether you read the KJV or the NIV, for example, you are going to read the words of God, and learn how to lead a better life. It doesn't matter that one is in newer english and one is in older english, they still have the same thing at the core of them, that is, the words of God. Similarly, the actual words of the endowment ceremony are less important to me than the meaning and symbolism behind the ceremony.

draconia:

If you scroll up about half a page or so, someone else asked a very similar question there, so I will refer you to that. The "magic underwear" is properly called the "temple garments" and is worn only after one goes through the endowment for the first time. It is worn as a reminder of the endowment and of the promises you have made to God to lead a good life.

Strictly speaking, this is not only before you get married, but that is one possibility. A Mormon is required to get their endowments before getting married or before going on a mission. If they are over 25, and their bishop feels they are ready, they can go through even if they aren't getting married or going on a mission.

[edit on 2-6-2006 by DragonsDemesne]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join