It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nominations for the ATS Greatest American Poll

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
No, he is wanting a reason as to why you think he is the greatest America. What major things he did that helped you and all of America if not the World.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
No, he is wanting a reason as to why you think he is the greatest America. What major things he did that helped you and all of America if not the World.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Also as noted in a previous post of mine when Grady laid out the ground rules he never said we had to say why he asked for links nothing more.

It's called common sense. When you nominate somebody for something, you present their case. In such a case as this, President Reagan has some stiff competition. It's important to let the people know why you chose him, specifically.

It's your nomination. Present your case however you want; it matters not to me.

Are you trying to change the rules on your own?

Oh wait Jungle already admitted he could not change the rules so that leaves you in the same sinking boat with him

Frankly, I'd say your attempt at humour is a bit out of line. I can change no rules as I clearly did not create this contest/thread. I was offering you a suggestion to better your nominees chances. Although, Reagan is at the top of my favorites list as far as presidents go, a lot of other people do not see things the same way. In my opinion, your brief nomination did not do the man justice. People are not going to vote for him b/c they think you are right.

So, what are your reasons for holding him in such high esteem?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think we're getting a little off track here. I'm sure someone else will find this thread and nominate Reagan with their own personal reasons for doing so. If not, he probably doesn't stand much of a chance in this poll, but then no date for actually taking the poll has been given, nor do I see a format for how it would be made.

This thread seems more along the lines of a, "Who do you think is the greatest American, and why" type thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Do you plan to hold a vote at some point?

I like the idea for this thread and would hope to see a date set in stone to figure out once and for all WHO is the greatest American EVER!

You know it's gonna be my man LINCOLN!

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
It's called common sense. When you nominate somebody for something, you present their case. In such a case as this, President Reagan has some stiff competition. It's important to let the people know why you chose him, specifically.

It's your nomination. Present your case however you want; it matters not to me.

People are not going to vote for him b/c they think you are right.

Hey I could care less if he wins or looses. I will let his own bio speak for itself. No one needs my opinion at all, other then you and a few others who do not matter, you only get one vote just like me.

Also I never said I held him in high esteem as you put it those are your words not mine. I clearly said he was not perfect, yet I thought he would be a good candidate.

You did not make up the rules Grady did and all he asked for was links to achivements if you will or his bio and I did just that. Live with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Hey I could care less if he wins or looses. I will let his own bio speak for itself. No one needs my opinion at all, other then you and a few others who do not matter, you only get one vote just like me.

A very telling statement.

You volantarily nominated Reagan as the greatest American ever. So, you gave your opinion for all to consider.

The difference only between you and me is I hold an applause button in my hot little hands. The members of ATS gave that right to me.

It's cool. People deserve applause when make smokin' good points, backed up by solid sources.

Whoever (besides me) winds up nominating the winning candidate, will get a plenty phat applause from me.

I like this thread because I like American history. A lot of people do not know jack about our nation's history. And yet, they think they do. Threads like this are very good for educating people b/c of all the excellent links. And conversation.

That's why I see nominating someone as being important enough to merit describing what he/she meant to you, this country and possibly the world. Ronald Reagan completely falls into that category of greatness. For not just a few things. He and his character have been much-maligned through the years by the media and even so, he remains highly popular with the masses (USA). To me, President Reagan was a great man and a true patriot.

If you gave him a good presentation in your own view (w/links), he could very well win.

[edit on 7/7/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, the nominations have been open for less than three days at this point, so I don't see any rush, but it's not too soon to start setting some ground rules.

I've never run a poll on ATS before and I didn't get any advice before opening the nominations, so I'm playing it by ear and open to suggestions.

I don't mind if there is some debate about whose nomination is best. Clearly if such is to occur at all, it would have to happen here. Astronomer68 is keeping tabs on the nominations and has posted the results incrementally.

My suggestion would be to keep the nominations open for one week to give everyone an opportunity to participate in the nomination and to facilitate the campaigning process. Then we can open another thread for voting or perhaps staff could help us out with a mass U2U.

What think ye?

[edit on 2005/7/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

If you gave him a good presentation in your own view (w/links), he could very well win.

Nope not going to do that then, it will turn into a political battle of bashing and I for one do not like bashing one for their political opinons.

This was already proven in the original thread several bashed Regan from the get go and I am not going there.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Nope not going to do that then, it will turn into a political battle of bashing and I for one do not like bashing one for their political opinons.

This was already proven in the original thread several bashed Regan from the get go and I am not going there.

You got nuthin.

Reagan deserves a better nominator. Will the real Slim Shady stand up?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
O.K. that'll give me time to make my arguement for my greatest American. I was going to do it today, but still trying to contact friends in London. :|

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
O.K. that'll give me time to make my arguement for my greatest American. I was going to do it today, but still trying to contact friends in London. :|

So who izzit?!

I wanna know!

Odium's gonna write a book!

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm tempted to go for either Huey P. Newton or Malcolm X. Both showed something which we really need to see today, the ability to adapt and over-come your in-built fears and racism.

Both started out as very, racist bigotted people and in the end (especially Malcolm X) changed his judgement. Which showed something to the Militant movement of the 1960's. To have your father killed by extremists (some say the Klan) and then turn around and say the majority of white people are good, when your own "religion" tells you otherwise, takes guts and courage and helped a lot of "black" (minority) groups realise that white people were not the evil that others tried to make out.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
If I were you, I'd nominate Malcolm X. Everything you said about him is true. He had a miraculous relization. And he stood by it.

That's why he was KILLED.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Here is the latest list of nominees:

George Washington Carver
Howard Zinn
Norman Borlaug
James Madison
Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell (Chesty) Puller, USMC
Huey P. Newton
John F Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln
Anna Nicole Smith
Thomas Edison
David P Schippers
Grandma Bailey
Ronald Reagan

The list keeps growing, but very slowly. At some point we'll have to cut off the nominations and either have a vote, or a short period of time to convince everyone else the nominee you favor should be voted for and then a vote. Grady will have to provide guidance here because I don't have a clue how to set up a vote on ATS.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Astronomer, you can take grandma Bailey out of the running. No one's gonna vote for her. I just wanted to throw her in there as a representation of a REAL person.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well, since the pool of contributors seems to be somewhat limited, I think ruling by consensus would work. I get the impression that not a lot of folks even know we're doing a poll and with the server down or whatever is wrong my link is not even visible. I smell a conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Keep it up for a week and then start a VOTE: thread. I would truly love to se this come to its conclusion. Wherever that goes...

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It has now been close enough to a week to close the nominations. I will open a thread for voting.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Closing thread by request of the author.

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join