It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nominations for the ATS Greatest American Poll

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I was just a boy when the infidels came to my village in their Blackhawk helicopters. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning oil rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fiery black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats screaming for help. As quickly as they had come, the infidels were gone. It was on that day I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too.

The infidels stole my goats from me!

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Get my goat? You leave Toots alone!(Well, had a goat named toots like 5 years ago, he dead though)

No, he went to Mexico for a few years and worked with the farmers to save millions.

He went to CHina and helped the farmers by working with them.

He went to freaking Africa(the parts he was allowed to anyways) and worked with the people there. In his younger years he did plant the stuff, he did work on farms in Mexico/India/China/Africa to help the people. His advancements in technology and agriculture made it possible for a Earth population of 6.2 billion instead of 4 billion which is all we would have if Norman did not have the genius to do what he did.

He could have just sat back and made billions, but he went to the worse places on Earth to help the people who needed it most. He did save !BILLIONS! of people. He tried to save millions in Africa, but alot of his crops were burned by the church for being evil, and rejected because Greenpeace said it would make people glow in the dark and other BS.

You may be eating GE crops right now. Eating french fries from McDonalds? Or how about a salad? Some places mark which products are GE, but others don't cause there is no difference, except GE cost less to make/produce and they make more grain, fruits, vegetables, so forth.

So, if you find someone who has saved more then 3 !BILLION!+ people, be my guest. But until then, any candidate loses. Some are good competition, like the guy who found a useful purpose for Penicilin which saved countless millions, but not billions. Guy who created a way to transplant organs probably save a few million people, but doctors are evil butchers that charge thousands of dollar just to say "There is nothing wrong with you." and 3 days later you die of whatever you had.(I hate doctors, and hospitals, and needles, scapals, drugs, oh how I hate hospitals)

Also, no proof of Jesus. There is proof of Apollonius of Tianna, who performed miracles, healed the sick, and rose from the dead after the Romans crucified him. Or Samuel of wherever(don't remember where he was from) who did the same thing. You see, there was a plague of Messiahs. Being the son of god was the newest trend back then, so there were thousands of Messiahs, and history recorded most of them, and no jesus of Nazerath(sp?) in any of those. Only in a book with Hebrew Slaves(wrong, there were never slaves held by egypt of the Hebrew faith) and giants and talking snakes does he appear.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
To Rhiannon, just trying to keep another bs poll like the Discovery one from happening. They had MICHAEL JACKSON on it, and Condi Rice, and GWB, and Oprah, and John Edwards, people who are completely not the greatest American. Those people are not great, they aren't even decent(except for Oprah) candidates, but they were on there.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Also, no proof of Jesus. There is proof of Apollonius of Tianna, who performed miracles, healed the sick, and rose from the dead after the Romans crucified him. Or Samuel of wherever(don't remember where he was from) who did the same thing. You see, there was a plague of Messiahs. Being the son of god was the newest trend back then, so there were thousands of Messiahs, and history recorded most of them, and no jesus of Nazerath(sp?) in any of those. Only in a book with Hebrew Slaves(wrong, there were never slaves held by egypt of the Hebrew faith) and giants and talking snakes does he appear.

Yeah, last time I checked the Holocaust never happened, either.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
The only reason Jesus doesn't get nominated is because He isn't American. There is nobody who has saved more than HE, though.

Amen, brother!

I'll keep you in my prayers for those in the struggle for moving about and collecting objects.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wait...

Jesus isn't America? Next you'll be saying he isn't white and doesn't have blue eye! Stop with the lies!

I also would put Malcolm X down as one of the greatest American's to have ever lived as well as Eisenhower and Truman.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'd say Aaron Burr, but I'd probly get e-shot!

So, I will nominate Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of these here UNITED states.

He was a humble man, from humble beginnings. He also had almost supernatural political cunning, and a powerful charm to back it up. He was brilliant, yet self-taught. He was a lawyer. He knew the laws of this land in and out. He learned quick how to navigate his way into power. And once there, he was truly the man of the hour.

He must have had the hardest job of any president in our history. His sole mission became holding this country together, whatever the cost. That was his committment and he delivered.

It cost him his very life.

Abraham Lincoln gave his life for the great cause of the United States. That she would grow together and prosper and be self sustaining and bountiful for ever and ever, Amen.

We enjoy the life we have today, here in the United States, because of him.

EastCoastKid

Now I will scrounge up some links for you:

Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln warned the South in his Inaugural Address: "In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The government will not assail you.... You have no oath registered in Heaven to destroy the government, while I shall have the most solemn one to preserve, protect and defend it."
www.whitehouse.gov...

Emancipation Proclamation

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas, on the twentysecond day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty two, a proclamation was issued by the President of the United States, containing, among other things, the following, towit:

"That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free; and the Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom.
www.historyplace.com...

In 1861 Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) became the United States' sixteenth president. But before Lincoln became the nation's chief executive, he led a fascinating life that sheds considerable light upon significant themes in American history. This World Wide Web site presents materials from Lincoln's Illinois years (1830-1861), supplemented by resources from Illinois' early years of statehood (1818-1829). Thus Lincoln/Net provides a record of Lincoln's career, but it also uses his experiences as a lens through which users might explore and analyze his social and political context.
lincoln.lib.niu.edu...

Abraham Lincoln
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Abraham Lincoln

Order: 16th President
Term of office: March 4, 1861 – April 15, 1865
Predecessor: James Buchanan
Successor: Andrew Johnson
Date of birth: February 12, 1809
Place of birth: Hardin County, Kentucky
(site now in LaRue County)
Date of death: April 15, 1865
Place of death: Washington, D.C.
First Lady: Mary Todd Lincoln
Profession: Lawyer
Political Party: Republican
Vice President: Hannibal Hamlin (1861-1865)
Andrew Johnson (1865)

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865), sometimes called Abe Lincoln and nicknamed Honest Abe, the Rail Splitter and the Great Emancipator, was the 16th President of the United States (1861–1865), and the first president from the Republican Party.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Every Senior Citizen's favorite.

For representing the American values of true grit and determination.

And for her public profile that so hugely exceeds that expected from the sum of her natural talents as to have taken the cult of useless celebrity to new heights. Paris Hilton does not even come close.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Excellent nomination, ECK. Abe was elected to be president, but became king instead. His goal was to see the Republic restored, but he was murdered before he could give the country back to us. That is why we now have a democracy instead of a republic. He stuck to his guns and his principles, though.

Masked Avatar, you may go away, now.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Masked Avatar, you may go away, now.

Thanx, TC.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm not really sure how to go about this, but here we go. Discovery Channel had its Greatest American poll. Now we're going to have one here. I hope. Post your nominations to this thread and we'll work out some ground rules and see what pops up.

This is going to be hard for me there are several and I am still thinking, but thought this would be good for a chuckle, since the Brits said it was Homer Simpson in 2003

Your greatest American
Homer Simpson, the lovable head of the Simpson family, has been nominated the greatest American ever in an online poll ahead of the BBC-led global debate, What The World Thinks of America.

The cartoon character received 47.17% of the vote beating former United States President Abraham Lincoln, who received 9.67% and civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jnr, with 8.54% of the vote.

Mr T, from the cult television series the A-Team, came in fourth receiving 7.83% of the votes.

Former President Bill Clinton was voted the tenth most popular American with 3.53% of the nominations.

The vote was conducted as part of a BBC-led global debate on America's place in the world.

Out of thousands of votes the BBC drew up a shortlist of 10 greatest Americans which users then voted on in a second round.

Posted just to show how silly the Discovery Channel poll was

Puts thinking hat back on

[edit on 7/5/2005 by shots]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ok I would like to nominate Thomas Edison

Life of Tomas Edison

Stop and think about it for a minute. Where would America be without Electricity, better yet where would the world be without Electricity?

That alone has to make him one of the top ten contenders.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Errr, where do you get the idea Thomas Edison invented electricity? He invented:
  • Phonograph
  • Kinetoscope
  • Dictaphone
  • Radio
  • Electric bulb
  • Autographic printer
  • Tattoo gun

And in reality most of those were in fact invented by someone else such as the Radio which was invented by James Clerk Maxwell in his paper to the Royal Society A dynamical theory of the electromagnetic field and first put into use by Nikola Tesla for the first time in 1893. However Edison got the patent on the idea.

Is this really the best American? A guy who stole other peoples ideas and made money off of them?

(Also electricity was invented by Otto von Guericke in 1660 but the guy you might be thinking of might be Benjamin Franklin.)

Sources:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Wait...

Jesus isn't America? Next you'll be saying he isn't white and doesn't have blue eye! Stop with the lies!

He wasn't white, and he didn't have blue eyes (probably on the eyes)!

I'll even take it one step further -- Jesus was a Jew!

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Wait...

He wasn't white, and he didn't have blue eyes (probably on the eyes)!

I'll even take it one step further -- Jesus was a Jew!

If only the majority of the World could be bothered to admit it and realise such a thing. Could solve a lot of problems. :|

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

(Also electricity was invented by Otto von Guericke in 1660 but the guy you might be thinking of might be Benjamin Franklin.)

Electricity was invented?

Your own link states:

Electricity is a property of certain subatomic particles (e.g. electrons / protons) which couples to electromagnetic fields and causes attractive and repulsive forces between them.

en.wikipedia.org...

Franklin proved that lightning is electricity and invented lightning rods.

Ben suspected that lightning was an electrical current in nature, and he wanted to see if he was right. One way to test his idea would be to see if the lightning would pass through metal. He decided to use a metal key and looked around for a way to get the key up near the lightning. As you probably already know, he used a child's toy, a kite, to prove that lightning is really a stream of electrified air, known today as plasma. His famous stormy kite flight in June of 1752 led him to develop many of the terms that we still use today when we talk about electricity: battery, conductor, condenser, charge, discharge, uncharged, negative, minus, plus, electric shock, and electrician.

Ben understood that lightning was very powerful, and he also knew that it was dangerous. That's why he also figured out a way to protect people, buildings, and ships from it, the lightning rod.

sln.fi.edu...

Except in a tangential way, as described here, Edison had nothing to do with the invention of the radio.

inventors.about.com...

That would be Tesla. I know some will say Marconi, but read the site.

[edit on 2005/7/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Another day on ATS.com another piece of pointless semantics.

I know electricity can't be invented (at the present moment), it probably has existed for millions of years and I know we harness its powers. However I was using his own terminology to explain it and make my point.

Now shush and go back to sleep.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Maybe we should start Greatest Russians so I could nominate Tesla. That guy invented circles around Edison, but Edison was better at playing politics and effectivly knocked potential electricity research back years from where Tesla's research took it.

Odium: I doubt that realization would help much. Time and time again through the New Testament racism is condemned, not paraded. People who want to believe the Jews are evil, or that God told them to hate all blacks, are not getting that from the Bible, they're getting through their own ignorance and their upbringing. It's a classic story of a little man taking on big government, except in this case the little man was God and big government was the current Israeli leadership and religious legal scholars, the Pharasees, all of which accurately saw in Christ's message a loss of power for themselves.

But I digress

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
To Rhiannon, just trying to keep another bs poll like the Discovery one from happening. They had MICHAEL JACKSON on it, and Condi Rice, and GWB, and Oprah, and John Edwards, people who are completely not the greatest American. Those people are not great, they aren't even decent(except for Oprah) candidates, but they were on there.

JTL,

Apparently you do not understand the word Opinion. You seem to think that it only applies to you.

Sorry your wrong, and I didn't nominate any of the people you mentioned. Even if I did, that would be my opinion. It would be a bad opinion, but an opinion non the less.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Otto von Guericke invented a machine that produced static electricity.
There is a big differance. Also Ben Franklin did not invent electricity he discovered it also a big differance.

On the other hand Edison made electricity as we know it more practical.

The modern electric utility industry began in the 1880s. It evolved from gas and electric carbon-arc commercial and street lighting systems. On September 4, 1882, the first commercial power station, located on Pearl Street in lower Manhattan, went into operation providing light and electricity power to customers in a one square mile area; the electric age had begun. Thomas Edison's Pearl Street electricity generating station introduced four key elements of a modern electric utility system. It featured reliable central generation, efficient distribution, a successful end use (in 1882, the light bulb), and a competitive price. A model of efficiency for its time, Pearl Street used one-third the fuel of its predecessors, burning about 10 pounds of coal per kilowatt hour, a "heat rate" equivalent of about 138,000 Btu per kilowatt hour. Initially the Pearl Street utility served 59 customers for about 24 cents per kilowatt hour. In the late 1880s, power demand for electric motors brought the industry from mainly nighttime lighting to 24-hour service and dramatically raised electricity demand for transportation and industry needs. By the end of the 1880s, small central stations dotted many U.S. cities; each was limited to a few blocks area because of transmission inefficiencies of direct current (dc).

inventors.about.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join