It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chirac Insults British Before G8 Summit

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJohnsto77
Why is this in ATSNN? Everyone knows the French are a-holes, this is not news...

Believe it or not, I actually pondered whether this was right for ATSNN before I submitted it. Like you, I've been disappointed and complained in the past (mostly to myself) about worthless stories here too.

I thought this was important because: 1) It shows that the level of diplomatic discourse at the highest level is often not much better than some of the crap I've read on PTS. 2) It was funny. 3) I still can't get over the irony of the French complaining about the British while sitting with the Germans & Russians in Russia. 4) I haven't submitted a story in a while and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Originally posted by CTID56092
How many of you British food experts have actually been here?

Although granted we don't do gut-busting postions with extra extra lard the food is, in my experience, better than in the US.

I have been to London, Paris, Munich, and Stuttgart, all within the last 18 months. I did not have a single bad meal for the entire 2.5 weeks I was in the UK. On the contrary, I had some fantastic meals while I was there. Dining in Germany was OK, but not great. To be honest, the best meal I had in Munich was at a Thai restuarant down the street from the world famous Hofbrauhaus (which interestingly enough now has a Hard Rock Cafe across the street). In Paris, well, any enjoyment I would have had with my meal was destroyed by the rude people, outrageous prices (4.5 Euro for a coke), and the insane heat. Better luck next time, I guess.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thanks for that.

Was only having a go at the 'Oh the food in Britain is awful' merchants who've never actually been but have been told by their grandad that the food was bad in the 40's / 50's - when we were on the ration.

Have to agree on poor meals in France, even the good ones come with attitude!

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I usaully go for a chinese, indian or italian food not very often do I eat french. Its an insult but not an act of war and forget it people always say stupid things, I bet he said it to get the other person to agree with him and on the same side as his humour, I would have laughed. I bet they all say something out of order you just have to hear it first. Our reaction is worse than what he said.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The joke only goes to ratify who is freinds of France, (Chirac).Germany and Russia, these Countries must have an agenda amongs themselves to dish Britain . I wonder what it is?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Politics is a tough game.
You never really get any time to be a human being.
Every breath you take, will be taken as a political forecast or agenda. Any single comment can become a political scandal.

Can you imagine?
You are expected to be this Perfect image of a person who can't even make small joke.

You will never have truly intelligent leadership, because anyone with any brains would run like hell from political office.

But it is entertaining watching from the back row of the world.
Who is funnier, the poor sod in office or the dumb audience expecting super-human perfection?

Maybe people get the political leadership they deserve. I will have to think about that.

(Please pass the popcorn)

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
Believe it or not, I actually pondered whether this was right for ATSNN before I submitted it. Like you, I've been disappointed and complained in the past (mostly to myself) about worthless stories here too.

It is news and I'm glad you posted it, my statement was a poor attempt at a joke.

Did you see Blair's response comment:

"I won't say the G8 summit would be an anticlimax to it (the Singapore Olympics decision) because that would be undiplomatic, and I know when I go there I will be in the presence of very diplomatic people," Mr Blair said.

Pretty good swipe at Chirac who thinks that the French are the finest diplomats in the world!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well what can be done with French wine makers? Sometimes perhaps their high-end taste-testers taste to much and wine about the right things in the wrong way at the wrong time.

Chirac is representing the wine tasters of France and not France as a whole when it comes to our friends - the British.
Chirac is just another Frenchman eiger to stand alone against the only friends they have at times.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser

CL, lord knows Ive posted my share of stories here, and this one was right for ATSNN. Not only did your peers vote it up, the Mod staff here made it a top story.

Solid Work

Nuff said.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join