It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror Groups in Canada and Border Actions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Ill start off with some recent articles about terror groups in Canada.

Though many view Canada as an unassuming neutral nation that has skirted terrorist attacks, it has suffered its share of aggression, and intelligence officials believe at least 50 terror groups now have some presence here.

They are from Sri Lanka, Kurdistan and points between and include supporters of some of the best-known Mideast groups, including al-Qaeda, authorities say.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service, counterpart of the CIA, said terrorist representatives are actively raising money, procuring weapons, "manipulating immigrant communities" and facilitating travel to and from the United States and other countries.

Besides al-Qaeda, those groups include Islamic Jihad; Hezbollah and other Shiite groups; Hamas, the Palestinian Force 17, Egyptian Al Jihad and various other Sunni groups from across the Middle East, CSIS said.

Source

Related Links:
www.woodtv.com...
www.miami.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.theledger.com.../20050704/API/507040747
San Jose Mercury News
Newsday New York
www.myrtlebeachonline.com...
www.sunherald.com...
www.dfw.com...
www.contracostatimes.com...
www.kansas.com...

The list goes on and on, the media is eating this up.

Now, in a slightly related event, some border issues I want to bring up.

U.S.-Canadian border still cause for worry

Nearly four years after the Sept. 11 terror attacks and after billions in security investment on both sides of this frontier stretching from Atlantic to Pacific, authorities and average folks are still jittery. Here's why:

- At the edge of a raspberry field where Washington state meets British Columbia, a U.S. Border Patrol agent shakes his head at tire tracks that snake between rows of berries and over the international boundary, which here is a ditch so puny a person can leap it.

"They're long gone," says agent Candido Villalobos, who raced to the scene after a surveillance camera spotted the vehicle _ transporting contraband? Something more sinister? Too late to know. "They beat us," Villalobos murmurs.

They bring up one of my favourite border flubs (in my opinion that is)

Farther east, where Maine and New Brunswick touch, a man carrying a homemade sword, a hatchet, a knife, brass knuckles and a chain saw stained with what seemed like blood sought entry to the United States. After confiscating his weapons and questioning him, border agents let him in.

A little news on security numbers.

About 1,000 U.S. Border Patrol agents work along the U.S.-Canada border, roughly triple the 2001 force but a fraction of the 9,600 agents who patrol the Mexican border, about half as long at 1,900 miles.

The Canadian side is monitored by 23 enforcement teams, consisting of officers of the 4,500-member Canada Border Services Agency, supplemented by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and local police departments. Still, most of Canada's 160 land and maritime border crossings are staffed by only one unarmed guard and long stretches between entry points go unmanned.

Yep actually I have seen border jobs given to students as summer jobs. Is that who you want working there?

Much more info is provided in the articles.

Source

Related Links:

Wired
www.miami.com...
www.boston.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
Washington Post
LA Times

So in the end, a question. Who are these terrorists out to get? Canada? United States? Both?

An attack in Canada would be very simple. The prime minister doesnt even have guards half the time when hes out and about in public.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You obviously must be American, but you have not learned that it's impossible to defend a nation against terrorism without turning it into a police state. The chances of being killed by a terrorist are so remote that I think I'll worry about being struck by lightning more. If your country has a solid foreign policy then you should have nothing to worry about. The US has a history of screwing any country they wish to suit their own agenda. You are entitled to do that, however prepare for repurcussions from those you've screwed.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Those evil Canadians!

I knew we could not trust them.

Which are you more afraid of. The Canadian terrorist groups in Canada, or the Texan terror groups in Washington?

ESP

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
You obviously must be American, but you have not learned that it's impossible to defend a nation against terrorism without turning it into a police state. The chances of being killed by a terrorist are so remote that I think I'll worry about being struck by lightning more. If your country has a solid foreign policy then you should have nothing to worry about. The US has a history of screwing any country they wish to suit their own agenda. You are entitled to do that, however prepare for repurcussions from those you've screwed.

Im Canadian.

Im just bringing you the stories.

top topics

join