It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Bush Physician Decries US Torture Practices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Here's a heavy message from a man who once served George H.W. Bush. He's a physician and he discusses how US credibility has been shattered by our 'in your face' use of toture from Abu Ghraib to Gitmo.This man probably isn't too popular right now in certain quarters of D.C.

He's absolutely right in what he's saying.

The Stain of Torture
By Burton J. Lee III
The Washington Post

Friday 01 July 2005

Having served as a doctor in the Army Medical Corps early in my career and as presidential physician to George H.W. Bush for four years, I might be expected to bring a skeptical and partisan perspective to allegations of torture and abuse by US forces. I might even be expected to join those who, on the one hand, deny that US personnel have engaged in systematic use of torture while, on the other, claiming that such abuse is justified. But I cannot do so.

It's precisely because of my devotion to country, respect for our military and commitment to the ethics of the medical profession that I speak out against systematic, government-sanctioned torture and excessive abuse of prisoners during our war on terrorism. I am also deeply disturbed by the reported complicity in these abuses of military medical personnel. This extraordinary shift in policy and values is alien to my concept of modern-day America and of my government and profession.
www.truthout.org...

[edit on 7/4/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hey everyone has an opinion right?

I am only one among millions.

If they are using torture in this war on terrorism. who cares?

We have animals which are put through far worse so our bitches can wear make up without having a reaction.

Make no mistake, you are either on one side or the other, otherwise when the day comes and an attack hits close to your home, it will be to late to rethink your positions.

As far as I am concerned torture is too kind.

ESP

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That was a very well written letter, and I agree 100% with him.

"First do no harm."

There's no wiggle room. It's a very clear cut ethical line, and crossing over it is a conscious decision.

Cheers to the man for making his statement, not that most people will care, but it's the principle of the thing.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSockPuppet
If they are using torture in this war on terrorism. who cares?

Those who possess a conscience. Those who might be affected by this illegal and perverse conduct.

Memos promoting twisted doctrines eminating from civilian arm-chair warriors in the DoD do not negate laws and treaties.

Make no mistake, you are either on one side or the other, otherwise when the day comes and an attack hits close to your home, it will be to late to rethink your positions.

Put the remote down and go outside. Live some real life.

As far as I am concerned torture is too kind.

If and when a day comes that things have flipped, and you are at the mercy of a toturer's hand, remember those proud words of yours.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Just a correction here, the story says this doctor was a presidential physician for George H.W. Bush, not George W. Bush...

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
If and when a day comes that things have flipped, and you are at the mercy of a toturer's hand, remember those proud words of yours.

I have only one thing to say to that.

Bring it on!

ESP

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Just a correction here, the story says this doctor was a presidential physician for George H.W. Bush, not George W. Bush...

It really makes no difference which Bush he served for. It's certainly not surprising that he would've been the former's aide. Most of Bush's other heavyweights from back then, sound much the same in their denunciations of current policies.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSockPuppet
I have only one thing to say to that.

Bring it on!
ESP

You're lucky, to be able to speak so lightly of it.

top topics

join