It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The comet strike was an attempt at diflection!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
One of the things that the $333 million experiment did is to knock Jim McCanney's "comets-as-electrical-capacitors" into the garbage can where it belongs.

For years, scientists believed that comets are clumps of ice and rock, and the observations of the way comets outgas during perihelion gave that hypothesis a lot of credence. by actually striking the coma and using spectro-analysis to examine the ejecta (which include rock as well as frozen gases) scientists will be able to further refine their beliefs.

I personally consider the money as taxes well-spent.

Yeah, well I guess if you consider debunking someone's theory on comets as a higher priority than the starvation of innocent children, then perhaps you would consider it tax dollars well spent. Perhaps THIS is what is wrong with the world???

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
Yeah, well I guess if you consider debunking someone's theory on comets as a higher priority than the starvation of innocent children, then perhaps you would consider it tax dollars well spent. Perhaps THIS is what is wrong with the world???

If in fact this were a practice attempt at deflecting a comet - with added scientific data gained from the mission - money well spent. We at least know we can fly to a comet and deliver a payload, even if the mission had nothing to do with deflecting, we have that knowledge. And it's good to know.

I'd rather throw my tax dollars into space then into the coffers of a corrupt official in Bangladesh, or an incompetent employee at the Social Security offices.

It's been proven time and time again that simply throwing money at hunger doesn't do much good:

researchnews.osu.edu...
"Food supply is not the central issue in reducing hunger," said Craig Jenkins, co-author of the new study and professor of sociology and political science at Ohio State University.

"Hunger is largely a political issue."

Jenkins said the current situation in Afghanistan is a good example.

"Years of war and Taliban rule have all contributed to a major hunger problem in Afghanistan," Jenkins said. "Creating a stable government and institutions is as important as providing food in terms of eliminating hunger in Afghanistan."

Basically to end hunger we need a lot more "regime changes".

I'm not up for that.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Anybody have any evidence to verify these claims?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join