It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Reagan Voted Greatest American of all time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The Discovery Channel recently concluded a feature called Greatest American, in which the public was asked to vote on whom they considered to be the greatest American of all times. With over a 4% margin, apparently the public believes the honor goes to the late Ronald Reagan, former president from 1980-1988. He was the oldest U.S. President to date, founded Reaganomics, and had several nicknames. Among them were: The Great Communicator, Dutch, and The Gipper. What of his competition? Benjamin Franklin took 5th place, George Washington took 4th, Martin Luther King Jr. took 3rd, and Abraham Lincoln took 2nd. So what garnered The Gipper such an honor?

dsc.discovery.com
WHAT YOU KNOW
He was known for being a prolific letter writer, esteemed for his love of letters to his wife Nancy, and also the 1994 note he penned announcing he had Alzheimer's that began "My Fellow Americans." He was the only president who had headed a labor union, had been an actor, and had been divorced.

WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW
Surviving his assassination attempt in 1981, he broke the "curse" of all U.S. presidents who were elected in a year ending in "0" dying in office. His love of jelly beans prompted Jelly Belly to create a Blueberry flavor for his 1981 inauguration so that red, white and blue candies could be served at the inauguration parties, where more than 40 million were eating.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So this is what lands a man the honor of Greatest American. In a list of men who include the man who held our first continental congress together through its most trying times, a famous general who won against all odds then turned down the opportunity to be king in order to establish a presidency, a minister who was assassinated while attempting to close the racial gap between half the population of America, and president who was assassinated for his conviction that a state should not have the right to succeed from the Union...the American people chose to give their highest honor to a man who really liked jelly beans.

This is either dead accurate proof of the disturbing Jelly Bean Conspiracy, in which our nation is controlled by a shadow government of Jelly Belly board members, or perhaps that Americans have completely lost all touch with history, and can only recall what has recently been told to them in the popular media.

I am so thoroughly disgusted with human beings right now I can hardly see straight. Now, don't get me wrong. Dutch was a good president. He had wit, gave good speeches, and when he lacked wit, he made up for it with humor. I still remember the news broadcast where he demanded "Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" and it bloody well worked!!!.

But to call the man the Greatest American of all time dishonors those who literally gave their lives for their country. It dishonors those who risked everything in order to keep us together, when no one else could. It dishonors the very foundation of our history. Reagan sacrificed nothing. He walked into an easy administration after Carter, had many friends in high places, accomplished a lot with a fairly complacent congress, and as far as history goes, he was in the right place, at the right time.

George Washington was fighting off a legion of 25,000 British with a mere 5,000 starving unequipped ruffians, before the Declaration of Independence was even signed. He brought himself to financial ruination in doing so, and put his own life on the line countless times, at the front of the battle. He created the Purple Heart decoration as a way to honor those who had fallen in battle. He brought the nation from infancy to adolescence when he required something stronger than the Articles of Confederation, and fathered it as president for 2 terms, when he had been offered the position of King for Life, all the while remaining aloof from party squabbling. The fact that the White House is located in the District of Columbia, and not Philadelphia, is due to his being superintendent of the plan, and managed to make treaties with the traditional enemies of the U.S., Britain and Spain. Even after his retirement, he volunteered to command the Army once again when we were on the verge of war with France in 1798. Finally, upon his deathbed, he freed all of his slaves.

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, was a GREAT American. A man who spent over half his life shedding his fortune, blood, sweat, and tears to secure for us a more perfect union...

...and he lost out to a man whose greatest accomplishment was a blueberry jelly bean.

Related News Links:
odur.let.rug.nl
www.reaganfoundation.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Public school: Moment of silence for Pope - but not Reagan?
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
24 years ago God saved Ronald Reagan from the illuminati bullets - 7 years grace time
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The public is always going to choose someone they remember personally over a historical figure they learned about in history classes.

I think it's a good choice in that light.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I myself find it a bit odd, however a lot of it probably has to do with the fact he just died and it was a rather-loud-funeral. Not to knock the man though, he was a good President, but to me he was no JFK or MLK.

However we each have our own view of such things.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I am so thoroughly disgusted with human beings right now I can hardly see straight.

I bet you can see just fine.....

djohnsto...is right with his first statement. The public are going to choose someone they can readily identify with rather than a history lesson that they didn't spend too much time focusing on in high school.........I have no comment on his second statement

.......in my opinion, this is more a tribute to the media blitzing both during his presidency and the alzhiemers period.......

Personally, I stayed as far away from this 'poll' as I could......the word american is so beat up by so many types of subjectivity as to make the whole point convoluted and irrelevant.........

[edit on 4-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is nothing to get worked up about. I'm wondering if someone who uses the term "bloody-well" is even an American. This was a convenience poll of those who have cable, watch the Discovery Channel, have a phone, and cared enough to vote. The fact that one particular individual is even on the list at all negates the poll's integrity.

[edit on 2005/7/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My guess is the author is not quite as shocked and indignant as he/she seems. A nice basis for an entertaining diatribe though. I like the JellyBean conspiracy.

An actor President as the greatest American ever. Paving the psychological way for a certain cigar-smoking Austrian action hero, I'd say. Discovery is a propaganda mouth-piece as much as any other. Just look at their support for the government's 9-11 conspiracy fallacies.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I bet Saddam would agree, seems he admires the man greatly.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Many on the list were great men who accomplished great deeds

The wish that George Washington be voted greatest is acknowledged for what it is.

George Washington presided over the birth of a nation against tall odds and won.

Ronald Reagan presided over a nation that was threatened with abject annihilation and won.

I think Ronnie had the more difficult task when political dissent is taken into account.

I specifically remmember all the protests as he confronted the "Evil Empire" that the Soviets presented - RR never wavered in the face of it.

Yes GW and many others deserve mention - but I consider RR's actions to have saved my life as well as the republic's future.

IMHO

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This poll says absolutely nothing about America to me. It only gives you an idea how discovery channel viewers feel. Imagine if it had been done by say MTV, BET, Comedy Central, ESPN, or any other cable channel. Don't put too much wieght behind this poll, it could have had entirely different results if taken through a different outlet.

As for Ronald Reagan, well not a bad American, however if I had cared enough to vote in the poll I'd have chosen Michael Jackson, now there is someone who overcame poverty, racism and an obvious mental disorder to become the king of pop. It is because of Michael Jackson that I can honestly say "I'm proud to be American, and I too also have serious mental issues". Who better represents the moral fabric of America than a grown man who wears pajamas lives in an amusement park and shares his bed with small boys.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I can't fathom the reasoning, or lack thereof, that led to this result.

I think it's very telling that the American public identifies most closely with a jelly bean-eating champion of the rich, a senile demon-summoner (his little homonculous G.H.W.B. was painstakingly crafted from KY and clay), this B movie, no talent actor dickweed who fell into bed one night and woke up president, they love him more than the men who FORGED FREEDOM, the men who resisted the siren's song of power, the men who possessed real substance of character!

Shame on us all for allowing the bad sort of politician to flourish.

Shame on the people who vote for them especially. Style over substance should never apply to politics, only clothing.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan was in the right place at the right time. He was credited for the fall of the Soviet Union, but it would have happened any way. I agree that it should have been either George Washington or Benjamin Franklin. But as said before, people probably voted for him because he was a recent president.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I understand it, he's recently deceased, however I don't think that he was the greatest American. Sure he was in power when the USSR fell and he was responsible for it to some degree but what about those leaders that kept the world from going to hell in less calm times? The 50's and 60's?

BTW, does it have to be a politician? How about Ben Franklin?

Glad to see MLK on the list.

What about Sufferagests? No meantion.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Ronald Reagan was in the right place at the right time.

This is unfair to Reagan and his administration. Reagan put pressure on Communism around the world and eventually forced the Soviet Union to collapse under it's own weight in their effort to keep up with the US militarily and otherwise. Maybe Reagan isn't the greatest American in history, but he was definitely the best President of his generation (that's not saying very much). You must bear in mind that when he was elected President, I thought the world would surely end and I detested him throughout his terms in office.

[edit on 2005/7/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I agree Grady but the times that he was president were less tumultuous than before. I'm thinking JFK's time. The 50's were very unstable as well. By the time Reagan became president I didn't think nuclear war was going to happen. He did spend them into bankrupcy though.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You must bear in mind that when he was elected President, I thought the world would surely end

Are you saying he pevented a war with the SU? You could also say that JFK kept us out of a nuclear war with the SU during the Cuban Missle Crisis. Imagine what would have happened if Nixon was elected instead of JFK. I'm not trying to downplay Reagan's accomplishments, but IMHO, he didn't do anything more than many previous presidents.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
A little perspective here eh?

Its a Discovery channel poll, hardly a definitive expression of the American populace. I happen to dislike Ronald Reagan's presidency but Im also not disgusted, or even upset, that he was voted Greatest American by a cable channel.

A big dose of "who cares?" is in order

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

GradyPhilpott

This is nothing to get worked up about.
[...]
The fact that one particular individual is even on the list at all negates the poll's integrity.

I am with you Grady just one look at who is on the list makes me go huh???

Thinking of Bill Clinton as the most famous alone makes one laugh. We all know what made him famous for

I can think of a few on the list if I were asked I would say they do not even belong on the list. Sure many on the list were good people but certainly do not deserve to be considered as the most famous.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
They missed Ira Hays, and several others, sad.

Roper

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I see interest in this thread but no upgrade, vote if you feel it's worthy folks.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If so--it it was based on his first term, which wasn't much. He didn't know where he was most of his second term.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join