It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Al Jazeera To Broadcast All-English Channel To US/World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The much criticised news outlet, Al-Jazeera, will launch an all-English language channel via satellite. The news channel will be available in the United States. Starting from March 2006 the channel will beam news with an Arab-perspective into homes worldwide. The channel will focus on middle-eastern issues including Israel and Iraq.

news.yahoo.com
DOHA, Qatar - Al-Jazeera is nothing if not bold. It has fought repeatedly with Washington, which says its exclusive broadcasts of Osama bin Laden speeches show an anti-American, pro-terrorist bias. Its freewheeling broadcasts have decimated state-run TV stations across much of the Arab world, leading some countries to close its bureaus down. So what does such a network do next? Plan a massive expansion.

By March, the network will launch Al-Jazeera International, a satellite channel that will beam English-language news to the United States — and much of the rest of the world — from its base in tiny Qatar.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I cant see a problem with this, Western news agencies (BBC etc) broadcast into the Middle East already. People who argue that we shouldnt have channels such as Al-Jazeera broadcasting their news stories to our homes are, in themselves, being biased.

Whether entrenched viewers of BBC, CNN or FOX will switch over to Al-Jazeera is debateable. I probably will watch it in conjuction with the BBC.

More news is better than less news, that is a fact!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I agree. More mercahnts in the "marketplace of ideas" is a good thing! Will Al-Jazerra have a slant, of course they will, but hey so do the other news outlets.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

The station has had three bureaus destroyed by bombings, two by the U.S. military.

Now thats an interesting point.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

More news is better than less news, that is a fact!

No.....that is not a fact. That is an opinion

But I understand your point.......though I disagree on the introduction of yet another biased media outlet for people to attack.....I suppose FOX vs. CNN needed a little spice........

Maybe we should institute "compulsory opposite-news watching." You know, make everyone watch the news channel they hate the most and see how long it takes for them to start posting with the opposite bias....

....no.....ah well....

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If they were so biased and anti-American, why are they banned from broadcasting in Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia?

Surely if they were some news outlet hellbent on preaching anti-American news stories the Iranians would lap it up.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
First Al-Jazeera claimed they were going to set up and boadcast in the US, that apprently fell threw. which was a good thing in my mind.

Now they are going to attempt to boadcast to the world yes I said attempt. Why? Very few people have the old fashioned large dishes that is why. That only leaves Dish Network, Direct TV although their may be more companies that feed direct feeds, that I am not aware of.

Now does anyone think that either of them will carry Al-Jazeera's feed? If they can refuse commercials and other programs they do not like, I am sure they will do the same to Al-Jazeeras lame attempt at broadcasting news that spews hate.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Personally I'd like to see this. Then it can be judged on it's own merit, not by hearsay.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have no problem with al Jazeera broadcasting within the United States, freedom of the press is assured here!

Iraq doesn't like them because they were portraying the insurgency in a good light, while on the other hand the more fundamentalist governments such as Saudi Arabia and Iran view al Jazeera as liberal and dangerous to their regimes...it seems like for the thinking in the Middle East, al Jazeera is at least trying to be somewhat in the middle.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
If they were so biased and anti-American,

Anti-American was not implied by me........and they are biased......every major media outlet is going to show bias........my point is that it isn't about making available more news outlets. Maybe the quality should be looked at.......but then you have a subjective goal and it will inevitably fall back into the 'bias' arguement.

Tis why I stay away from these types of converse.......ultimately, it comes down to he said, she said.........

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

as posted by intrepid
Personally I'd like to see this.

Personally, I am looking forward to it myself.
I am sensing that the ratings of ABC, NBC, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC will likely continue to decline.

But look on the bright side, Al-Jazeera would then be able to hire those favored liberal news anchors.

seekerof

Sep

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
fundamentalist governments such as Saudi Arabia and Iran view al Jazeera as liberal and dangerous to their regimes.

I have to disagree there. IMHO, Saudi Arabia's government doesn’t allow al Jazeera to broadcast in their country because they are close allies of the US. This is well known to the Saudis so it doesn’t want to have an anti-American influence on their population, which may harm their relationship with the US.

In the case of Iran, al Jazeera has a strong pro-Arab bias as everyone knows. This hit the boiling point with the Iranian government when they tried to initiate an Arab uprising in Southern Iran by publishing false news. This news was responsible for the death and injury of several people and as a result al Jazeera was shut down quickly.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I say cool! PUT THE NEWS OUT THERE!!!!!!

Let it stand or fall on its' own merit!

It means less control of the media by the big guys! NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, Clearstar, BLAH, BLAH, go to hell!

THIS IS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!

I'm sick of the one sided media in this country. As the song goes, "Bubble Headed Bleach Blonde, Comes On At Five, Tell You 'bout The Plane Crash With The Gleam In Her Eye!"

It's about time!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
At least now we will be able to get a more direct insight into the thinking of the arab world.

Thank You, Al Jazeera, for making the extra effort to communicate with some of us non-bilingual people of the planet.

I hope it is comparatively less slanted than the numerous Christian agenda stations in the US, but that will remain to be seen.

It has to be infinitely better than relying on the Bush Administration for their interpretation of what the arab world thinks, since they are both pandering to the Christian right and also in bed with the Saudi Royals, plus being a bunch of ex-oil men/women.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by slank]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Mayby they can substitute their channel for the LOGO channel. Be interesting to see what the christian right wingers would do if given a choice between them.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I find it amusing how many don't feel comfortable unless they can categorize everything in the world as either "liberal" or "conservative" acording to U.S. intranational definitions. So al-Jazeera is "liberal", eh? Maybe they'll be doing al-Pro Choice documentaries and Muslim Same-sex Marriage Rights specials and such, while lamenting GWB's stealing the election from al-Democrats in Florida.

"Hi, um yeah, I'll have the liberal special with salad. I can't eat conservative food."

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I find it amusing how many don't feel comfortable unless they can categorize everything in the world as either "liberal" or "conservative" acording to U.S. intranational definitions.

agree

im a bit suspitious of Al-Jazeera myself. i never heard of them before the war, and since then i have been bombarede with their name like they are the only news soucre in the middle east. Now maybe they are, in which case fair enough, but if not what about the other channels out there?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I am looking forward to this. It will be a counterbalance to the FOX News Channel.

new topics

top topics

join