It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kool contrail pic for you guys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hey guys i was just surfin airliners.net and came across this and wanted to share it with yahs. From what I've been told its real no photoshop.
images.airliners.net...

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm osrry but the picture of the plane looks like it was stuck on. I find it hard to believe that it isn't doctored in some way. Cool looking pic on the whole though!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Now that is the absoulute proof of those darn government types gassing us, we dont have long!!!

Im not be serious (well dur) but that is a cool pic, in fact I think it may make good avatar material, ive been looking for a good one. So get back you filthy scumbags, I blagged it first!!!

Though I do doubt its authenticity, strokes chin trying to look intelligent............but fails

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
That's definitely been photoshopped. If the sky was that dark, you would not see the plane, or contrail without a spotlight from the ground, which would leave it's own tell tale signature in the picture.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well i sent off an email to the guy that took the pic on airliners.net hopefully he can give a reasonable explination to it.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Well i sent off an email to the guy that took the pic on airliners.net hopefully he can give a reasonable explination to it.

Nice one!! Nothing like a bit of hands on investigation, such a rare sight these days.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Aren't those red things on the front of the engines covers? You would normally want to remove them to actually move.

Plus of course the sky is very dark. That "contrail" looks more like a streak of ice covered over a camera lens with the light being split up.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Nice picture but it is not all that convincing to me. The background is so dark that you cannot get the "Rainbow" effect without the proper sunlight hitting it just at the right angle. I hate to say it but I think it is a fake. If the background had not been as dark as it appears, it might have stood a chance in convincing someone.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I believe it is real but taken just before sunrise through a powerful telescopic lens with the aircraft high enough to be lit by the sun which hasn't yet risen over the horizon to light up the sky, the angle of the suns rays would then easily give you the 'rainbow' effect throught he contrail.

The Sky is blue in daylight because the angle of the suns rays, coming down, is in the blue part of the spectrum, in this case the rays of the sun are actually travelling upwards towards the aircraft thanks to the curvature of the earth, hence the black sky and the perfectly illuminated belly of the plane.

Also note how the sky is dark blue at bottom left of the picture but black at top right. This is where the sun is rising.

The red on the engines isn't the covers but the red cowls of Virgin Atlantic

People shout 'fake' too easily.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Cool picture of an areodynamic contrail.

Don't let the chemies see it though!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I believe it is real but taken just before sunrise through a powerful telescopic lens with the aircraft high enough to be lit by the sun which hasn't yet risen over the horizon to light up the sky,

The red on the engines isn't the covers but the red cowls of Virgin Atlantic

[edit on 5-7-2005 by waynos]

thank got somone got it right. nearly anyway. we have been watching this topic on another forum, and we think you are idiots. simple as.

right then first off lets adress the engines. that red bits are the COLOUR of the engines. the engine cowling. it is more likely that the aircraft would not be able to take off without these as opposed to the other way round.

i will bring your attention to this photo, which is the same aircraft. note the red engines of SAS
www.airliners.net...

note that the photographer knows the registration. to be honest most photos that are taken people would never be able to tell the reg from that height, leading to an idea that it is photoshopped. well its possible in several ways. one, if they were close enough to the runway, then tey would have seen it on take off. it could be a regular sight on that time of day, or the photographer may use a radio to tune into the departure frequency and identify the aircraft. which i do not know...

right then, next the fact that the website it was uploded to, airliners.net, wouldnt allow photoshopped pictured to be uploaded. they put any picture they even remotely expect to be photoshopped under intese scrutiny, so there is no possibility of that.

finally the part that everyone is talking about: those contrails. allow me to leave it in the hands of an expert....

The funny thing is, such people are usually quick to demonstrate their own ignorance. As a long time amateur astronomer, with a great deal of knowledge in optics and photography, I can say, without any doubt, that this photo was indeed taken just before sunrise or sunset, as someone pointed out. The sky is still dark, but the plane is high enough to be in the sunlight and is actually being lit from beneath. The use of a telephoto lens also serves to increase contrast and darken the background, so the sky wasn't really as dark as it looks in the photo. The rainbow effect is due to light passing at a low angle through ice crystals forming in the contrail. This is the same thing which causes what are known as Sun Dogs, bright spots of color that can occasionally be seen floating on wispy clouds when the sun is low in the sky.

he is smarter than you, but his name, along with the link to the forum is not added to stop like you going there.

any furthur questions, i will awnser them.

go and get out more.

(mod edit,No insults)

[edit on 6-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Nice one...
it's now my backround image on my computer...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
mulletman, not everyone has degrees in aviation or science.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Those of us here at ATS are idiots? Lets look at your intelligence level, shall we?

Originally posted by mulletman

thank got somone got it right. nearly anyway. we have been watching this topic on another forum, and we think you are idiots. simple as.

You meant “thank god” I assume, not “Thank got”.
I think you meant “someone” not “somone” unless you meant that as a name of some kind.

right then first off lets adress the engines.

Address has two d’s in it not one.

the engine cowling. it is more likely that the aircraft would not be able to take off without these as opposed to the other way round.

Actually a Jet aircraft CAN fly with the cowling removed or damaged. Might not be smart, nor aerodynamic, but it could be done.

then tey would have seen it on take off

Is tey the photographer, or did you mean they, with an “h”.

next the fact that the website it was uploded to

Well no one saw it unless it was uploaded.

under intese scrutiny, so there is no possibility of that.

Is that the intese mainland security, or their offshore department, or did you mean intense?

he is smarter than you, but his name, along with the link to the forum is not added to stop idiots like you going there.

He can also spell and has proper grammar, so I guess he’s way smarter then you as well or at least smart enough to use a spell checker. Personally I would have no desire to go to a board full of arrogant people of an 8th education based on their spelling and grammar. I can however; use a search engine based on the bit you put up to find that site easy enough.

any furthur questions, i will awnser them.

Yeah I have a further question that you can answer. What is in your brain to come to this site and start off by calling everyone here idiots, which is like painting a big red “kick me” sign on your back. I truly hope that you never make a stupid remark, or say something incorrectly. Might be best to just make a new account and start over.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Ahh, so that's just the cowling colour. I can hardly see it, but the sky does gradually turn a dark navy down the bottom.

Y'learn something new every day.

Would that be sunrise or sunset?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
i would like to point out that i am using a wireless keyboard. and oh look the connexion sometimes doesnt work. maybe a conspiracy theory to try to get people kicked off forums, or maybe my post was photoshopped......

i also bet you reread your post 10000 times , just to make sure YOU had not made any mistakes.

thirdly, let me point out that on the engine cowling i said MORE likely that it cant fly. not that it cant.

now then, it is sent to the bigheads at Airliners.net BEFORE it is put on thier site

and finally internet forums are to express opinion. which i see you have also done.

[edit on 6/7/2005 by mulletman]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
anyways folks i have said what i need to say. my personal opinion is all a wanted to post. I will gladly delete my account.

normally i am not the type to start flame wars. but here i couldnt help it. i respect everyones wishes (especially moderators).

however i will point out that this is not an apology. i stand by what i said.

feel free to continue talking of me in a bad and war like manner

What i see as a good picture, you obviously see a different way, and i understand. If you are human enough to play nice and divert this convo into a pleasurable version of the above, then i will stay and talk a while if not, im off.

see you in a bit.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Somehow I don’t think anyone here is debating whether you’re right or wrong about how that picture was taken. I have seen the shuttle take off at dusk and similarly the trail it leaves has amazing color changes as the sun goes down over the other coast.

I think that the problem here is that no one said anything even remotely stupid or conspiratorial, yet you jumped on people simply because some thought it might be a photoshop job. There is obviously a photoshopped logo from airliners.net in the lower right hand corner of the picture. So based on peoples responses to that you made it out that everyone here was a bunch of idiots and that you guys were over there laughing at the posts here.

Ps you still need to get a spell checker.

Edit since my spell checker messed up

[edit on 7/6/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
meh, your right.

it was wrong of me, but i still wont apologise. i also dont feel it neccasary for me to use spellcheckers when you can still understand the point of a message.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
hey mullet man its kool that you wanted to give your idea and well the ppl that you have talking with ideas but i do think its was umm a lil harsh to put it at best. also not saying sorry like any 4 year old is taught shows inmaturity on your part. people on these forums as i guess you would know are both sceptical and a lil imagitive. but again thank you for your information. As being a pilot my self i know i cann't learn everything and know it all but i can know enough and when my knowledge is tested by say a photograph like this i enjoy the challenge as im sure most ppl on these forums do. so anyways to wrap it up in short both shame and thanks are inorder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join