It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I recently did a project on stonehenge and thought I would share this information.

The location that stonehenge now sits (in just a wide open field) once sat in the middle of a tropical rainforest. The people who lived in this region used the trees and all the other resources to build stonehenge, but it still took a very long time.

Stonehenge was one of the earliest computers in human time. It was basically used to tell time. It was like a giant calendar.

Eventually, the rainforest that surrounded stonehenge, the people began deforesting like crazy and ultimately, every tree had been wiped out.

Anyway, maybe this still doesnt convince you that stonehenge wasnt created by some extraterrestrial life forms. Who knows, maybe it was............

[edit on 4-7-2005 by ghostdog007]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Do you have anything to back up your post, ghostdog?

On what info was your project based?

Meanwhile, there's some interesting info here, if you're interested in taking a peek.

Discovery Channel linky

US News theory

Wikipedia entry for Stonehenge

Stonehenge-Avebury site

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Wasnt the rainforrest climate a little earlier than when Stonehenge was built? (that is a question and not a claim, I dont know so I'd like someone to answer that, lol)

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
check out this site:
www.Mongabay.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostdog007
check out this site:
www.Mongabay.com...

I did...and I'm not seeing any links to Stonehenge.

Help us out here?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Most of the UK had a latge forest canopy at the supposed time of the building of Stonehenge however is was of the normal forests still in the UK like Sherwood Forest. Certainly not tropical though britain was in tropical area once but mankind was probably not present at the time. The weather when stonehenge was built may certainly have been differant and maybe even warmer but the position of the landmass was certainly not in the tropical regions at the time. I think were using most of those tropical rainforests of Britains history in current OIl and Coal deposits! Dont think the druids were quarrying blue stone in West Wales and taking them to the building site at those times.

MischeviouslyDefendingReality

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I thought Stonehenge was in Easter Island. I'm such a moron.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, heres another website with some excellent stonehenge information on it. You might as well check it out:

web.umr.edu...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
You meant the Easter Island stone heads, not Stonehenge. And your totally right regarding what heppened on Easter Island, massive deforestation killed off the local population.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
When was Britain a tropical climate?

It was heavily forested (Douglas-Fir was the dominant tree prior to the glaciation, the same DF that is now identified with NW North America), but it was not a tropical forest.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
DAVE_54 Britain once did have a rainforest environment about 300 millions of years ago. At that time britian was still part of the original super continent (all loand mass in the world connected) called Pangea. As this massive continent broke up and whilst the plate the islands of britian rested on moved north it still had a Tropical Canopy for some time.

These rainforests are the sources for the abundance of Coal deposits in the UK and the North Sea Oil reserves.

one source of many here:

Adobe Britain Rainfoerst

Elf

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Don't worry about it. I'm sure most of us make little errors from time to time, I know I do.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Since when was England a tropcial island? Yet again baseless claims backed up only by someone's imagination. Surprised mods would let this survive.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Since when was England a tropcial island? Yet again baseless claims backed up only by someone's imagination. Surprised mods would let this survive.

Some linkage to info on prehistoric England.

Obligatory answers.com/wiki reference

Disappearing habitats

Cute archeological tour thingy

Apologies in advance - these links are not exactly university-level, but are easy to understand.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
have you guys noticed that a crop circle is 1 mile away from stonehenge

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
theres been crop circles developing 1 mile away from stone henge weird

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There's been crop circles developing over the years....

....just about anywhere that's ever been newsworthy.

Most are proven to be blatant hoaxes.

But some haven't been proven such, as yet.

Are you suggesting something in particular, hardcore?

You can tell us, you know

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
didn't stone henge used to be in Ireland? There it was called the giants dance and the wizard Merlin brought it for some reason. Thats what i read. I'll read it again to make sure it's right.......

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I'll read it again to make sure it's right.......

yes I would too

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by chris001
didn't stone henge used to be in Ireland? There it was called the giants dance and the wizard Merlin brought it for some reason. Thats what i read. I'll read it again to make sure it's right.......

Yes, that's the story told by Geoffrey of Monmouth in The History of the Kings of England written in the 12th century.

According to Geoffrey the stones were erected in memory of British chieftains slain in a massacre. Merlin decided the 'Giant's Dance' would make an appropriate memorial. But this was situated in Ireland and the Irish king wasn't too keen on the idea. So the bRitish went to war and defeated the Irish. The Merlin magically flew the stones to their current location.

It's about as true as the idea that London was built by refugee Trojans and originally called New Troy, or that King Arthur ruled over the whole of Western Europe and Scandinvia and defeated the Roman Empire...

The Irish origin story may be a folk memory of the fact that some of the stones (the bluestone circle) originated in Wales.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The Irish origin story may be a folk memory of the fact that some of the stones (the bluestone circle) originated in Wales.

I think its more likely thats where the design came from
the same time the Tuatha Danaan left ireland a group called the children of Don arrived in north wales
on the coast near a certain preselli quarry you may have heard of
of course before there were henges in ireland there were ones in scotland and before there were ones in scotland there were ones in scandanavia. Like a migration map really

One of the gods of the Children of Don was Gwydion
a wizard who had a bird as his symbol and also had one eye
hes generally thought of as the forerunner to Merlin
Melin in welsh is Myrddin (merlin- myrddin - gwydion)
His brother Dewi's symbol was the red dragon that is still on the welsh flag

top topics

<<   2 >>

join