It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Seek Agronomic Use for Methane Wastewater (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
There is a new alliance being created between industrial coal-bed methane wells and fish farms in the Powder River Basin of Wyoming. Wastewater from the wells is being pumped into a Tilapia farm nearby, and the fish love it.

msnbc.msn.com
SHERIDAN, Wyo. - Ever since developers learned how to tap coal seams in the Powder River Basin for natural gas, they’ve struggled with what to do with the brackish groundwater that comes out first. A fish may be the answer.

Water is being pumped from coal-bed methane wells in rural, northern Wyoming to John Woiwode’s tilapia farm in an area where cattle roam. About 1,300 of the small, pink fish now delight in the water — flipping, flopping and pooping in it.

It’s the squiggles of poop that interest researchers like Woiwode, and whether that waste could help make the water into a more usable asset instead of a pollutant.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could be a model for eco-friendly use of industrial waste products for enrichment of agricultural production. The project is on-going, with the effort now to determine what plant species best respond to the fish treated methane waste water. I'm all for projects like this, and my hat goes off to the researchers who helped come up with this process. It helps give me hope for tomorrow.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
So far, two no votes, one for bias, and the other for poor writing. I just wonder who they were from.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I voted yes, I found the submission to be informative.

join