It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book copyrights.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
In the front cover of every book printed it says something to the effect of "-no "part of this book, in whole or in part may be reproduced without permission". However, almost every book printed will feature words such as "The", "And" and "It", for example. These are all parts of the book. Does this mean you should seek permission from the author to use these words, as it could be regarded as copying the book "in part". Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Ashton
In the front cover of every book printed it says something to the effect of "-no "part of this book, in whole or in part may be reproduced without permission". However, almost every book printed will feature words such as "The", "And" and "It", for example. These are all parts of the book. Does this mean you should seek permission from the author to use these words, as it could be regarded as copying the book "in part". Just a thought.

It just means your not allowed to copy quotes and chapters etc.....

But.....i myself along with many others have posted quotes here on ATS, does that mean i am breaking copyright law???

Mic

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Berne Convention linky might shed some light

You might also want to check out Fair Use

As I'm not a copyright lawyer, I'm not going to theorise about what is or isn't acceptable on a message board; however it would appear that copying pieces of text for commentary and/or criticism (and remembering that we're not taking credit for the text when we do so) might fall under "fair use" rules. Then again, because the term is deliberately ambiguous, we might actually be in violation of copyright laws when we post such material.

(clarification: News items are a little different, as explained in those links)

Do we have a copyright lawyer on board to clarify this?

To answer Dave's question:

If you get Joe Author's book, copy the word "of", and reprint that, then it's no longer part of the original context in the book. If you copy the entire paragraph however (for example "Of mice and men...." ) then you're using the author's phrasing, in the author's context - this is copying. See the difference?

new topics

join