It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UK Proposal to Ration Public Carbon Emissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Carbon Quotas have been around for some time now at a business and government level. Now the UK Government is looking at energy rationing and giving us all a "personal carbon allowance", to be effective within the next decade.
The idea is that we would all be rationed and carry some form of ration card or, even have the proposed national ID double up as a ration card, to be used each time we buy fuel or book a flight, at which time we would have points deducted from our ration allocation.

infowars.net
Every individual in Britain could be issued with a "personal carbon allowance" - a form of energy rationing - within a decade, under proposals being considered seriously by the Government.

Ministers say that increasingly clear evidence that climate change is happening more quickly than expected has made it necessary to "think the unthinkable".

They believe they need to start a public debate on energy rationing now if Tony Blair's aspiration of cutting greenhouse gas emissions by two thirds by 2050 is to be achieved.
Under the scheme for "domestic tradeable quotas" (DTQs), or personal carbon allowances, presented to the Treasury this week, everyone - from the Queen to the poorest people living on state benefits - would have the same annual carbon allocation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Being a lifelong cynic, I can't help wondering what exactly is behind this proposal.
I remember when car tax was linked to CO2 emissions, diesel powered cars were becoming more popular due to their fuel economy and the engines were becoming a lot cleaner. Since then, the price of diesel fuel, and the duty paid on it, has increased to the point where it is now more expensive than petrol. So, rather than encouraging cleaner cars and fuel efficiency, the government saw it as a chance to make money, which it has done.
Motorists will of course be hit the hardest. Now faced with GPS balck boxes to track us everywhere we go, tolls for the roads we travel on (varying dependent on what time we have to travel), proposed systems that will automatically cut our speed etc, I wonder where this will all end, and will the public just sit back, shrug helplessly and take it.

I am all for efficiency and alternative fuel sources but I just can't seem to find the point behind this one. I have to use the roads to travel to work every day. Will my employer understand when I call to say I can't come in as I have reached my monthly carbon limit, due to a drive at the weekend to visit family?

Here is a link to the original source story.

telegraph.co.uk.../news/2005/07/02/nrg02.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/07/02/ixnewstop.html

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Britguy]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Good post, I follow Co2 and global warming closely and was unaware that the plans were being seriously considered by the UK government.

I believe this is a step in the right direction to reduce Co2 emmisions, though of course under the proposals rich people could just pay for there use and poorer people couldnt maybe drive nay more that week etc. so a real disparity there that is of great concern.

Was going to vote no for Sourcing but have found a reliable source here. (edit sorry in rush didnt see telegraph link below soz)

BBC Link

Well I look forward to some legislation to reduce this mad spiral of destruction humans seem to be on.

Elf

[edit on 4-7-2005 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Maybe it'll become the next bidding item on Ebay?
For Sale... XXXX number of personal carbon emission points.... bicycle forces sale

Seriously though. Surely the whole system is a sham anyway if big polluters are allowed to buy carbon emission quotas from lesser polluters?
That doesn't actually cut down on pollution, it just creates a quota barter system.

join