It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Deep Impact, NASA Success.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Earlier today, 4th July 2005, NASA's mission to fire a probe into a comet met with success. The comet (called Tempel 1), the size of Mount Everest was hit by a probe the size of a washing machine creating the largest Independence Day fire work display and improving mankinds knowledge of Comets many fold.

Six months after it blasted off from Earth, the Deep Impact spacecraft early Monday met its cosmic fate -- in a hyper-speed smashup with a comet.

NASA scientists steered a probe about the size of a washing machine directly into the path of a comet about half the size of Manhattan. Images showed a huge explosion on the comet -- possibly the equivalent to five tons of TNT.

Scientists hope the collision -- and what comes out of it -- will unlock the inner workings of comets.

edition.cnn.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For information please look at the existing ATSNN thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This knowledge gained about the composition of comets might very well save all our skins one day.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 5-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I really have to view this accomplisment as the most spectacular event in the history of space exploration. Not only is hitting this thing incredible in it's own right, but the technology and information yeilded by this program might very well save the planet from a catastrophic collision in the future, provided we don't devolve socially into a world of warring tribal clans over the next few decades.

MSNBC video

Whoops! I didn't see this comment, but I think it's safe to say we concur.

Originally posted by John bull 1
This knowledge gained about the composition of comets might very well save all our skins one day.

[edit on 2005/7/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Wow, that's amazing.

Tribal clans?
Hey anything's possible with the way things are going now...

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I watched that event live this morning and it was spectacular. I was amazed by the quality of the video as the impactor approached the surface. The resolution was incredible. I can hardly wait to see the processed images from the flyby spacecraft.

I noted it didn't take long for the politicians to make an appearance once the actual impact took place. I wonder if they would have done the same thing had the impactor missed?

Unless I dropped a decimal in the wrong place, that impactor hit with something like 5.5 billion ft-lbs of kinetic energy.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Nice!
too bad some russian is sueing NASA 300 million dollars for this lol

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The mother ship, is still a viable spacecraft too.
There is a good chance that it will move on to other targets.
Just to look though, no more copper bullets!
Cross your fingers, that NASA gets some funding to continue an
extended mission.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
this could be humans murphy law--would the impact we caused change the orbit or course of this comet as it goes round the sun-- wait and see -temperance

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

this could be humans murphy law--would the impact we caused change the orbit or course of this comet as it goes round the sun-- wait and see -temperance

I hope this calms your nerves.

Some feared Deep Impact may send the comet or pieces of it hurtling toward Earth, yet managers said the impact would have been akin to a bug striking a jetliner and there was no risk to the planet. www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 2005/7/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

MOSCOW - NASA's mission that sent a space probe smashing into a comet raised more than cosmic dust — it also brought a lawsuit from a Russian astrologer.

Marina Bai has sued the U.S. space agency, claiming the Deep Impact probe that punched a crater into the comet Tempel 1 late Sunday "ruins the natural balance of forces in the universe," the newspaper Izvestia reported Tuesday. A Moscow court has postponed hearings on the case until late July, the paper said.
Russi an Astrologer Sues NASA Over Comet

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Russi an Astrologer Sues NASA Over Comet

She earlier told the paper that the experiment would "deform her horoscope."

You have got to be kidding me!! Moral Sufferings? And they're letting this woman roam around free?
Its such a great achievement for us and this person is worrying about her horoscope?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I gotta tell you... it sure is amazing what people will say...so where was she during Chernobyl?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I heard today that she claims to be suffereing from headaches, and anxiety attacks, because the impact disrupted the horoscope of everyone by disturbing the natrual order of the universe. The crack was made that maybe now she's destined to marry a poor man instead of a millionaire.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You gotta be kidding me. What happens when a comet comes hurdling towards earth had we not did this first?
I don't think her horoscope would save her then. I hope she doesn't win the case.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is amazing stuff - next they going to land someone on it. What does it prove or help, though? That a washing machine can land (using that term loosely) on a comet? Should we care enough? What make of washing machine???

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlucoKit1
This is amazing stuff - next they going to land someone on it. What does it prove or help, though? That a washing machine can land (using that term loosely) on a comet? Should we care enough? What make of washing machine???

I would attempt to explain this to you, but it might be simpler if you just read the articles relating to this experiment first, before making comments like that?

Oh hell, I'll try and summerise it real simple for you:

1) By analysing the makeup of the comet we can try and place ourselves in the universe better, understand how we got here maybe, etc, etc.

2) - and this is what most people should be interested in at least, even if they're not into understanding our existance -

By understanding how the comet is made up it can help us design a suitable system that can deflect one, if and when it should become a threat to us (happens all the time in the grand scheme of things I'm afraid).
Also being able to accurately target something that is this big (or small if you like), this fast and that far away is OBVIOUSLY an important aspect of having any chance of intercepting a hostile body in space.

Going back to the make up of it, it is important because - for instance - exploding a warhead on the surface would have a different effect depending on it's density.

Like one of the scientist's said, the difference between us and the dinosaurs is that we have the capability to make a difference WHEN (not IF) it happens.

So, if you prefer, you feel free to go and stick around the dinosaurs with half the population and the rest of us will go about saving yours (and ours) asses.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by AgentSmith]

top topics

join