It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life At Extreme Temperatures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:54 AM
link   
An organism has been discovered that can thrive at a record-breaking 121 Celsius.
The single-celled microbe grows at higher temperatures than any other known lifeform, according to scientists in the United States.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Many of the planets that we see out there have very harsh environments. But this microbe has now proven that life is able to survive and flourish under rough conditions.
We always conject that alien life would have the same physical attributes as our own.
This discovery opens up a new direction to explore. Maybe there could be more advanced forms of life in our Universe who rely on extremes of temperature that we would be unable to exist with.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Even autoclaving - the process used to sterilise medical instruments - cannot destroy it.

Wow, that's one tough cookie.

This discovery opens up a new direction to explore. Maybe there could be more advanced forms of life in our Universe who rely on extremes of temperature that we would be unable to exist with.

Yeah Leveller, I agree! And if the species evolved in extreme temperatures, then we would expect that they would have a completely different perceptive system (i.e. how they sense the environment).

I'd love to get a look at the technology, but who is to say that we could even begin to perceive this type of species?

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Anyone read 2010? Arthur C. Clarke describes organisms similar to jellyfish living on Jupiter and flying through the air...

I think our idea of "life" is much too specific and narrow-minded.

join