It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relics of Switzerland�s Cold War defences are turning up in surprising places.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   
They were planted there by the Swiss army because the road was judged strategically important; in the event of invasion it would have been blown up.

But local people are angry that they didn�t know what was on their doorstep. They were only informed when the army decided to dig the devices up again.

swissinfo.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
question?what are you talking about?

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by howie0]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Did you have trouble reading the text in the link also?

Me too so here's a smidgen of what it mentioned.

At the end of the cold war, just before it was over 1989 the article says, some TNT was planted under the roads in a community. As the article says, the people who lived on those roads didn't find out until recently that they have been living on enough explosives to level the entire area. Hope that helped.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I imagine this was a rampant idea throughout Europe during the cold war years. These arent the only people in Europe living with bomb laced roads nearby, I can promise you that.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
could be like the situation with minefields.one defense plan overlooked until somebody panicked.like the huge underground bombs used against german troops.i can't remember where exactly(wales) i think?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
In 1989, before the wall came down and before the collapse of the Soviet Union happened, who knew what was going to happen? There were certainly alot of indicators that change was happening, but no one could tell for sure. Better safe than sorry. That being said, they should have taken the explosives out back in the early 90's.

new topics

top topics

join