It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can we use "common sense" to solve religious problems we don't understand- take a look!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
here is me using my "common sense" to solve a religious problem that is in christianity:

the book of genesis states that God existed before the universe existed...

this is because God made the universe...

and because, "in the beginning, there was nothing"...

well, "common sense":

- God = God

- universe = a box

how can God exist before the box existed???

how can he be in the box, before he made it???

this is just some, of possibly many, examples of how we could use "common sense" to solve religious problems we don't understand...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well TSA, as much as I respect you, quite frankly, you didn't seem to solve anything.

But, I guess God would exist outside the box that is the universe. Then, God created it, and then God was able to exist within the box (universe) that was made.

I always wondered, is there a God to God? I'm sure it's not a new question, and avid christians, jews, and muslims will say there is only one. But perhaps there are ranks of gods. I seem to remember someone talking about how the name of God would change in the Bible.

Anyway, I don't think it's common sense that can answer theological questions, but rather wisdom.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
YAY!!!

someone respects me

anyway, i thought about what you said after i made this thread...

i guess i must look at genesis more closely later...

i am pretty sure it said "in the beginning, there was nothing"...

so, nothing and God can exist in this nothing

i know you are not supposed to compare God to human and physical things but this is impossible

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I was talking to a guy whom I believe holds the most interesting view of God I have ever heard and an idea different from all others Ive heard.

He says that God may or may not be a being. He believes that God is the creator of the first thing seeing as you cannot get something from nothing.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
interesting...

i must ask then:

who created God???

i ask this because of your argument...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
interesting...

i must ask then:

who created God???

i ask this because of your argument...

nothing created God. The thing that caused the first molecule is God in his eyes.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
o0ok...

makes enough sense for me

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
When Genesis said there was nothing, I believe it referred to the physical world. As well, since God existed before physical matter, God would not be subject to time as the physical world is. Therefore, God always was, and as scientists have shown as the universe was not always. So, the universe began from something that didn't have a beginning and doesn't have an end, God.

When referring to the statement that something must always begin, its useful to understand that the statement was made in the context referring to the physical world.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
thanks for clearing this up...

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
TSA,
Couple of other ideas to throw in
1) God is not governed by temporal laws and may have existed in the "universe" then decided to create the universe (ouch that one make my head hurt and spin :stfu

2) Expounding on Stephen Hawkins theroums on the big bang. The mass of the "cosmic egg" would have been too great for whatever the fabric of space is made of so the "cosmic egg" may have punched through from another universe / reality? and God was from that other realm.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
good ideas kenshiro2012

and i hope your head feels better

top topics

join