It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon training sortie downs F-15Cs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just got through reading a Eurofighter Typhoon update in this months Air Forces magazine.

Apparently a flight of 2 aircraft on a training flight in the UK was "jumped" by a pair of USAF F-15Cs. The fight lasted 60 seconds and ended with the simulated downing of both F-15s. The story went on to say that testing against German Mig 29s has shown that they are no match for the Typhoon, and that the aircraft completed a standard pattern airshow routine 6 seconds faster than the Rafale even though it was flying on pre-production RB.199 Mk104D engines and not the higher performance Rolls Royce EJ200s that production aircraft will be equipped with.

Sounds like it will be quite some fighter despite all the people who are hoping it will fail.

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I would hope that the brand new Typhoon would beat a 35 year old design.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Was there more detail about the F-15C's? Did the have the ESRA?. THe difference in airshow time could be simply a matter of the Rafale pilot taking it a bit easy or a better pilot.

That being said there is no doubt that the Typhoon will be a potent a/c

M6D

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I think that it would be awesome if they could hold trials, against all non stealth aircraft of opposite nations, so it would be a more evened out argument.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It was a February 19th, 2004 event.
And btw, they were F-15 E's, not C's.
As such, the F-15E's mission is primarily as a ground-pounder/bomber aircraft, A2A is its secondary role.

Not surprising at all, that a just off the line 4.5/5 Gen fighters would wax them.

Accordingly, an informed source [Nozzles and according to Lakenheath pilots] indicates that this is a non-event that is simply being F-22 and Eurofighter PR'd.

seekerof

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Isn't this post already posted...?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I thought so myself.
Could not find the original topic thread, though.

2:38 am here....probably why.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Umm, I got a question at what ranges did this engagement occur?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
What has range got to do with it, West Point?

When I first saw the banner headline, I thought, "YEAH! Payback for A-10s whacking our Warrior ICVs in the desert!" but it was only an exercise.

BUMMER!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Isn't this post already posted...?

Considering we're all reading it, yes indeed, its already posted, because if it wasn't, what would you be replying to?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
No, Fighter Master is referring to that this story already is months old and probably had been posted before.

I remember some flyboys forum boards dropping into unrest on this story with thread lengths of100 and more replies (not so usual for special interest boards).

The range should have been very short since the reports say the EF-2000 trainers ended up behind the F15. I have to say that the outcome of this would have surprised me more if the F15 had "won" this little encounter. It has been said before, the EF-2000 is way superiour to the F15 for obvious reasons.

The funny thing is that most pro F15 people now argument "well its a new fighter, what did you expect"... which is true... But the same type of people were bashing on the joint production of the EF-2000 only a few years ago, ranging it below of even the F16, calling it names like the Bureaufighter (although that one is rather funny) or the Gray Threat. So this little revenge for the pro EF-2000 fraction is, though exaggerated, absolutely justified

[edit on 4/7/2005 by Lonestar24]

M6D

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hahaha, lets just blame it on american planes IFF systems shall we....

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
In BVR combat either plane could of won. In dogfights the Eurofighters wing design and smaller size give it the advantage. The F-15 is a huge aircraft, sometimes called the flying tennis court. It was designed for a slightly different role.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Forgot to add that the story also added that the Spaniards have tested the Typhoon against their F/A-18As and once again it was strictly no contest.

As for the idea that newer fighters should always out dogfight older ones, a Lightning F.3 could fly rings around a Tornado F.3 and the F-16A can fly rings around the new Chinese FC.1 etc etc.

Fighters aren't all about dog fighting. Endurance, advanced weapon systems, BVR capability, stealth are all competing factors in any design.

If it was all about dogfighting, everyone would be flying the X-31.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

What has range got to do with it, West Point?

Well every aircraft has its strong points and some are better at closer rages while other are better at longer ranges. I wanted to know if it was a dog fight type of engagement or a BVR engagement.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
There wasn't a lot in the way of details, but the story said that the Typhoons were "jumped" which to me means that either the aircraft were engaged in an intimate sexual encounter

or they were dgfighting.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think the original posting of this got moved to BTS. The Eagle was/is an impressive fighter, but it's getting long in the tooth. It's still capable of holding its own against many threats out there though. I'll always love that plane. It's a beautiful bird. Of course being able to fly home on literally a wing and a prayer makes it even more impressive.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I thought so myself.
Could not find the original topic thread, though.

2:38 am here....probably why.

seekerof

- It's been moved; it's here
www.belowtopsecret.com...'

new topics

top topics

join