It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Devil Have a Right to Exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'd like to know what people think about this question.

I was recently told by an ex-in-law (who is a JW) that Adam and Eve were not the only sentient beings in the Garden. He was referring to the serpent and its kind. His point seemed to be that all sentient creatures have a right to their place in the world. IMO he was definitely on the serpent's side, even looked kind of like one.

My most recent understanding of this concept is a 'seed of promise', 'seed of bondage' approach. The 'seed of promise', in my understanding, leads from Adam down through Abraham and Sarah to Jesus and through Him to all of us in the form of salvation by grace through faith. The 'seed of bondage' leads from the serpent down through Abraham and the slave girl Hagar to Ishmael and his heirs, and offers a salvation of works via the law.

My ex-in-law went on to try to tell me how my body and soul would die and where in the Bible it said so. I countered with my belief in salvation by grace through faith, and told him I believed in the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. I then stated that I believed that the descendents of 'the seed of promise' and 'the seed of bondage' would be going at it until judgment day. He agreed, and we left it at that.

I think the devil is the King of Serpents, and his roll right now is to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, via temptation. When Christ returns "death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works." (Rev. 20:13)

At that point, I think the King of Serpents will take his rightful place at the fore of "the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Rev. 21:8)

Just some thoughts on the Devil's right to exist.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sure he does, people look at the devil the wrong way.

The devil was tring to get God his devotion from man.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus RisingAt that point, I think the King of Serpents will take his rightful place at the fore of "the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Rev. 21:8)

What if you had a third person in the room who did not believe in the devil, or the serpent, since the connection between the two is rather loose. And that person said to: there is no serpent; no king of serpents; and therefore no justification for what you think. What would you have then said?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I guess I would say that person is free to believe as he or she chooses, and to act accordingly.

To me, religion is the study of God, just as science is the study of nature. There are many paths, but only one true goal: understanding the mystery of life.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." I'm counting on that.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I guess I would say that person is free to believe as he or she chooses, and to act accordingly.
Then your question:

Would require restatement to encompass that third view, and would be more appropriately along the lines of: If there is a devil, does he have a right to exist?

Where "if" then becomes the operative word, rather than the taken for granted; "on the ...right.".

[edit on 7/3/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
all i can say is:

without evil, there is no good...

and vice versa...

if there was no evil, how can we judge God as good???

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
SomewhereinBetween,

I disagree. What someone else believes does not negate my beliefs, and vice versa. If that third person wanted to join the discussion, they could phrase their question however they deemed appropriate. I believe the devil is the King of Serpents, and will ultimately go into the burning lake.

'Just some thoughts on the devil's right to exist.' is not a question. Coming from me, it doesn't have to be, based on my beliefs, which I have every right to, just as everyone else does.

they see ALL,

I agree there is a basic dichotomy, at least, to most aspects of life. Our belief systems dictate where we stand.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
SomewhereinBetween,

I disagree.
With what exactly do you disagree?

What someone else believes does not negate my beliefs, and vice versa. If that third person wanted to join the discussion, they could phrase their question however they deemed appropriate. I believe the devil is the King of Serpents, and will ultimately go into the burning lake.
You believe what you are told, yet nowhere in the OT does it declare that the serpent in Genesis is the devil.

'Just some thoughts on the devil's right to exist.' is not a question. Coming from me, it doesn't have to be, based on my beliefs, which I have every right to, just as everyone else does.
Oh? He has right now? And if he does not have rights, why do you presume to?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I disagree that my question requires restatement.

You believe what you are told, yet nowhere in the OT does it declare that the serpent in Genesis is the devil.

No. I believe what I have come to find to be true to me. It comes from what I've been told, read, experienced, and from my own innate sense about things, again something I think we all possess.

He has right now?

I'm not sure I understand this question. Did you mean to type 'he has rights now'?

If so, I think its pretty much clear from my opening post that I think the devil has a right to exist and will end up in the lake of fire. But that is just my opinion, you are welcome to yours, and to disagree with mine, ok?

top topics

join