It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Killer Application.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
With the computer becoming cheaper & faster, do you think that a "killer application" like this one, will be welcome & much needed ?

In order to save driving time, fuel, what if all grocery store inventory & week special be enter via internet, you give your grocery list and the computer figure out the best route (one, two store, or more, etc.).

The computer could also figure out (thru time, based on previous purchase) the proposed grocery list.

I think, that saving us all, time (& fuel) & hassle will be a welcome useful use of that computer.

Once you conquer that recurring task (week grocery), then you extend that to all type of purchase.

What do you think ?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Go into more specific details. I don't think I'm really understanding what your trying to get across.

How does saving time to the grocery store relate to a 'killer application'. What is a killer application ?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think such a thing already exists... allthough in a limited fashion and only in certain areas, I have no experience with the technology myself but I have heard that it does exist and that work is being put into it as we speak. I give it another 5 year till widespread use, it could have some dramatic effects on traffic patterns.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
To be more specific.

Each of us has to get the grocery every week (or several time during the week).

So here the deal, let say all the grocery store near your place, had their inventory into a given internet site, including the week special.

The computer will figure out, based on your grocery list, if you need to visit one or two stores to maximized your saving, knowing that adding the second store visit will add fuel expense + travel time.

The week saving done that way will add to big $ over the year.

After a while, the computer will know your eating habits and at what rate your consume your Oreo cookies and could proposed the grocery list by itself.

The idea here, is to remove that recurrent chore for each and everyone of us and save time, fuel cost, pollution, etc.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
while this doesnt exactlly relate, i know there have been tests using grocery carts that tell you where the items are in store.

checking to see if products are available in stores is widely used already.

staples, futureshop, radioshack etc.

in time perhaps more integration will come.

better traffice analysis would be sweet, seeing how many cars are on a route at any given time etc.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I remember an article in a magazine a few years ago, I cant recall which mag it was though, about a refrigerator that had a built in barcode scanner built into the door, basically when you ran out or low on something you would scan the barcode, then when you got ready go to the grocery store you printed out the grocery list via a built in printer that printed it out on cash register tape...I thought it was kinda cool myself, but then again I am a Tech Junkie

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Much of the "Shopping experience" has been cultivated to:
A) Make you drive there, supporting the car/oil industry
B) make you buy crap you don't need on impulse

Everyone, just about anywhere in the US, can do all their shopping online and
have fedex or ups or usmail deliver the goods, for the extra cost.

I'd personally like to see half of all cars off the roads, even more if possible,
and the return of the vegetable truck man, and the milk man, and water delivery.
I would like to see these scheduled to show up at workplaces so people can
do some of their grocery shopping during a ten minute break from work, instead
of standing in a ten minute line after work.

One of the things holding this back is of course crime, even if everyone paid with
credit cards, gangs and organized crime would be ripping off these trucks at gun point,
and criminals working on these trucks would have access to your credit cards.

Nothing is simple.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Todeskopf
I remember an article in a magazine a few years ago, I cant recall which mag it was though, about a refrigerator that had a built in barcode scanner built into the door, basically when you ran out or low on something you would scan the barcode, then when you got ready go to the grocery store you printed out the grocery list via a built in printer that printed it out on cash register tape...I thought it was kinda cool myself, but then again I am a Tech Junkie

This is still being developed although now it's much more advanced. Still following the same basic idea although Barcodes are now exchanged with some form of RFID. This way your "fridge" keeps a accurate inventory in real time, all the time. Not only will it know when you're out of milk but it can also tell you if and when the milk you have has expired.

Soon all your appliances will have a mind of thier own and will all be able to communicate with each other. That's when the fun really starts. Imagine coming home early from a trip only to find out that the microwave has invited all the TV's and Stereo's over for a party while you were away!! You try and put you foot down but it works out worse for you as they decide collectively that you're just killing all their fun. So you spend the next few months being forced to watch nothing but old Full House Episodes, Eating Food that's either under or over cooked and fighting with the climate controls which raise and fall at random intervals. But, it's all for the sake of convieniance, time saving, less stress and a more comfortable lifestyle, so I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. :puzz: :lo:

new topics

top topics

join