It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Giant Vapor Cloud Rising from Pacific

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
There is a 3300 foot column of steam rising from the ocean near Iwo Jima. It may be the sign of an underwater volcano becoming active.

aolsvc.news.aol.com
The vapor was reported Saturday after Japanese troops stationed on the small island observed the massive, cloudy plume rise from the sea about 30 miles southeast of the island, said Maritime Self-Defense Forces Hiroshi Shirai.

Defense officials who flew over the area in a helicopter said the surface of the water appeared red where the column was reported, which could indicate underwater volcanic activity, Shirai said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Coming on the heals of all the major earthquake activity in the region, this may be yet another sign of increasing instability in the Earth's crust.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Those pictures are amazing. In the 4th picture you can see it is very close to a volcano. Must be a new vent. Has there been any siesmic activity in the area?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I don't know, yet. The story and pictures were so fascinating, I just grabbed them and posted the news to get the word out. I'm still looking for more info on new developments.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
according to Helmutt's informative post in the Volcano Watch thread in Fragile Earth, it has been confirmed as an underwater volcano
see here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i wonder how hot the plate area is right now?lets hope it not a large plate seperating.nice story dude....

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Actually it's a War of the World's style tripod rising to kill some Japanese people j/k

I hope this wont cause any Tsunami's or anything

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Whoo hooo a new Island is born!!

Wonder what they'll call it.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Edited out comments no longer applicable.

On the topic of undersea volcanoes, there has been an increase in activity this last year, hasn't there?

It seems that there is a great deal of magmatic activity, perhaps an innordinate amount? There was the report of Japanese scientists observing an enormous magma column moving NW through the Southern states in America. There's the risk at Toba, the giant amount of material added through subduction during recent seismic events...

It looks to me like an overfilled balloon, leaking out the spots of least resistance.

I hope they cleared the shipping lanes and advised air traffic. I'd hate to be on a trawler coming up on that sight..I might actually think Gojira!

[edit on 3-7-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
LOL,I thought that was pretty funny of slank, accurate or not.

As for this new island forming, well it certainly feels very much like a continuation of events from december. All this recent activity around the americas too, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if there was another major earthquake either off the american pacific coast or on the continent somewhere within the next 3 months.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
We have an island forming underwater here, but it's got a LOOONG way to go before it gets to this stage. Although we DO have the worlds most active volcano here. I think it's 22 years and still erupting. Added a lot of land so far, and more every day.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Edited out comments no longer applicable.

The subject is interesting, and the repurcussions could be enormous.

There was some talk during (and after) the Dec event, that the frequent aftershocks in the 5.0 range might be underwater explosions resulting from magma coming into contact with extremely cold seawater.

If that was the case, shouldn't we expect the same here? Does anyone know if the rift is a funnel or a canyon? A funnel would be more stable, I would think...

If it's a rift in the sea floor..like a crease, that would be inherently more unstable wouldn't it? Due to the larger surface area of magma exposed...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Slank,

I know you can read and I’m sure you are intelligent so this will be the last friendly warning issued in this thread requesting that you stay on topic. The next warning will come with consequences. Please if you have other issues use the “Help/Gripe” function to express your concerns. End of story...move on......

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
So the world is in flux - and an island is being born. ...Does this have anything to do with last December's tsunami? Is it part of the same ongoing process?

...Any thoughts anyone?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
You guys are killing me, LOL, and helping me rack up points (I think). I'll have to figure out what to do with them some day.

The rift versus funnel question is a good one, with the possibility of a rift under the kind of pressure being generated by all the recent tectonic activity posing a genuine threat of this becoming more than a local event. Is there any clear data yet on what kind of vent this is? From the looks of the pictures I've seen so far, I'm hoping for a funnel.

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Volcanic islands are formed and destroyed all the time, just look at the coral atolls formed around dead volcaneoes that sank back into the Earth. Iceland also has examples of some (recently I think) formed volcanic islands.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is probably more an example of the pacific crust moving over a hot spot than anything else. There is a nice ring of fire around the crust, that we're sitting over part of. It's probably just more of that breaking through than anything to do with last years tsunami.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I just keep thinking to myself..what goes up, must come down, right? How does this apply? When subduction events occur, large volumes of solid rock are thrust down deeper into the earth. Eventually the rock mass liquifies and is again extruded to the surface (under the water in this case). Eventually the rock cools, and the process repeats itself in time. So in this case, it's 'what goes in, must come out.'

So how much rock was subducted by the continuing procession of 5.0+ earthquakes in SE Asia? That's the question...

What other explantions apply to the growing, rising magma column under the US? The West coast is presumably the destination, as there must be extensive channels and chambers beneath the Rainier system. SE Asia has what is probably one of the largest, if not the largest system of subteranean magma chambers. I shudder to think that they may actually have filled up during the series of events we all witnessed.

If they're full..then that's a tremendous amount of material, just itching to come back up. Unfortunately we don't have any way of measuring the content or even the relative fullness of the magma chambers. They could be filled with sluggish, gas-poor magma, or they could be full with explosive gas-rich magma..hell, they could be almost completely empty, and all my concern would be for nothing. Who knows?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I think this is such an exciting event. I new island! Is this the "underwater mountain" that sub ran into???

Can't wait to see how long this thing keeps this up.

new topics

top topics

join