It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remaining SF Team Member(s) Silenced?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Update: Silenced?

U.S. warplanes bomb suspected Taliban hideout near where elite American team disappeared
By: DANIEL COONEY - Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Warplanes pounded a suspected Taliban compound in the Afghan mountains near where an elite U.S. military team disappeared last week, and violence elsewhere left 38 rebels and Afghan security forces dead as fighting rose ahead of fall elections

A transport plane flew home the bodies of 16 U.S. troops -- eight Navy SEALs and eight other troops -- killed when their helicopter was shot down while trying to rescue the missing team, U.S. officials said Saturday.

It was not clear if there were any casualties in the airstrike late Friday in mountains near Asadabad town, Kunar province, close to the Pakistani border. U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Jerry O'Hara said a "battle damage assessment is ongoing."

"We conducted an airstrike on a target we deemed we had to hit immediately. The target was an enemy compound in Kunar province," he said. "The bombing was done using precision guided munitions. The target objective was intelligence driven."

O'Hara declined to say whether the airstrike was directly related to the missing military team, which was last heard from in the same area Tuesday.

So there you have it. My bet is the captured soldier(s) knew they couldn't last much longer under the brutal interrogation they were enduring, and activated some kind of implanted EPIRB-like device, giving their position and condition to their superiors so they could end the suffering and be taken out along with their captors.

Anybody see 'Flight of the Intruder', where Willem Dafoe is wounded and dying on the ground and being used as a decoy by the NVA to lure in a rescue team so they can add to the carnage? He calls in an airstrike on his position from an A-1H Sandy, sacrificing himself to save others making a futile effort to rescue him. "Do it Sandy, I'd do it for you.", he says.

I can't stand it!

U.S. warplanes bomb suspected Taliban hideout

edit to add question mark to thread title

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Not quite.
Special ops member rescued in Afghanistan

One member of a U.S. special operations reconnaissance team missing in Afghanistan since Tuesday has been rescued, a U.S. official speaking on condition of anonymity told CNN.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Man, that is great news! Thanks kenshiro2012.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong about the rest of it, and them, though. There's always a risk to credibility when going on gut instinct like this. I don't have much credibility to risk, anyway. Only in hindsight will we find out what has truly happened.

I am so thankful we got one of our guys out of there!

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
was not attempting to negate your thread. Just clarifying it with the lastest news.
The military are attempting to debreif the SF man to see what the status of the last of his troop is.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

So there you have it. My bet is the captured soldier(s) knew they couldn't last much longer under the brutal interrogation they were enduring, and activated some kind of implanted EPIRB-like device, giving their position and condition to their superiors so they could end the suffering and be taken out along with their captors.

What? You have got to be kidding me, if they had that kind of device they would have activated it 3 days ago when the chopper went down not now. And you know they would rescue them if they were positive about where they were, your watching to many Hollywood movies.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
What I'm talking about, WP23, is an "I'm done for and there is no way out" signal that a team member might use if he had been captured, tortured, and was about to crack and give up his codewords and classified info. It would be a true last resort, and would only be used in extreme cases of capture and torture, as I suspect may be happening here. I personally would prefer it to a cyanide capsule in a false tooth or other form of taking my own life in a similar situation because it would give me a chance to take the bastards torturing me along for the last ride.

You will notice that I speculate a lot, and I always try to be sure to point out that is what I'm doing by saying things like 'my bet is'.

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sounds a bit too much like the Red Army to me.
US troops just dont have the suicide urge that makes Russian military history such fun.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

WHAT? TORTURE? WHERE'S AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL? WHERE'S JIMMY CARTER? WHERE'S ALL THE UN COMMISSIONS ON HUMAN RIGHTS?

Where indeed.

Apparently, only the USA "tortures" anyone.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Actually with the Russian Army in WWII it wasn't suicide, it was "Either the enemy shoots you, or we shoot you for cowardice." They had more to worry about from their own side than they did from the enemy. heh.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I just fail to see how someone can be sure or even get the idea of such an event just from reading that article.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

activated some kind of implanted EPIRB-like device, giving their position and condition

I can see this.....very practical and realistic. This would save millions in the long haul. Cost of searching for captured soldiers, cost of having to re-train an SF member, etc..etc...

Remember the US govt/military had the SR-71, F-117, Night Vision, GPS and many other things like that years before the world knew about or had confirmation of. This could very likely be one of them things. Why not?

Im not so sure about the "last stand" in this case....ya know the kill everyone and me too theory. But it seems likely....Hell
if your gonna die you might aswell bring your enemies down with you.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
FYI,
There are reports coming out of Afghanistan that a second SF trooper has been found. No details on his health status and the US Millitary have not confirmed this yet.
It is only being reported om MSNBC and CNN tv. Will provide links once they are available if the story is true.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is being reported in Australia (via Reuters) too.

Link

edit: latest LINK

Sanc'.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yahoo is reporting it too, an Afghani commander says his troops have located him and are on their way to rescue him, they say he has taken up shelter in a civilians house in the region because he is wounded.

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050704/ap_on_re_as/afghanistan_3;_ylt=AoU5Erb2jFr.x9waNPx5O8vOVooA;_ylu=X3o'___'BiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl]Link[/url ]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Zaphod there are hundreds of cases of Russians deliberately sacrificing themselves without a fear of being shot.

For instance during the fight for the grain silo at Stalingrad 50 Russians summoned an artillery bombardment onto their position rather than fall back. No NKVD to hold them in place, just patriotism.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I didn't mean that ALL Russian troops were fighting because they were afraid of being shot by their own side. But there WAS a lot of that going on. I'm sure that most of their troops were VERY patriotic and were more than willing to die for their country. But by the same token there were a lot of conscripts who were terrified to fight.

That post was written during a very long day with little sleep so wasn't as clear as I hoped it would be.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Icarus Rising I see what your saying..
and I dont think its too far off what COULD happen to be honest.

Maybe not in the idea that he was going to give up classified passwords and info, being milita in the mountains dont realy have much use for passwords and so forth...

But maybe someone of high value was in the area....?
This activiation u talk off could be something small that sends out a signal,
not nessecarily something he can alter to read ' target found ' or ' strike here '

but just a bleep on the radar,

I dont see it being TOO Stupid an idea..

and in regarsd to the comment the USA is the only one to torture, no one in this thrread said that, veryones aware that torture exists in the world,
and 99% of the countries admit to it or defend it..
The USA uses lawyers and looops holes to make it O.K...

and thats why the USA loses respect

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
They found 2 SEALs dead and have apparently recovered the bodies. They're still looking for at least one other memeber of the team it sounds like.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050705/ap_on_re_as/afghanistan

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
No Child Left Behind

The premise of this thread is fanciful and unlikely.

U.S. soldiers are government property. When they turn up missing, we go looking for them.

When we know where they are, we bring them back.

That's the deal.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm sorry , Majic, but it is your post that is fanciful. You fail to consider the possibility that we may know where one of our guys is and be unable to 'bring them back', as you say with such definitude, definitude that only truly exists on your keyboard, and in your mind. Yes, that's the way we would all like it to be, the way it should be, but the world is not the way it should be, nor the way we would like it to be.

Global Disorder,

'milita in the mountains dont realy have much use for passwords and so forth... '? Is that all we're dealing with over there, militia in the mountains? Are you sure? I don't think so. Information is a key to power, and access to and control of information is key to the application of power, and the control of populations.

That's the deal.

<<   2  3 >>

join