It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget cameras - spy device will cut drivers' speed by satellite (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sattelite technology will now allow vehicle speed to be controlled from the sky. A 6 month trial of the technology was run in Leeds, England. The trial was deemed "incredibly successful". If instituted more widely, it is proposed to offer drivers who install the technology a discount on the "congestion charge" toll.

www.timesonline.co.uk
IT IS the ultimate back seat driver. Motorists face having their cars fitted with a “spy” device that stops speeding.

The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it. A government-funded trial has concluded that the scheme promotes safer driving.

Drivers in London could be among the first to have the “speed spy” devices fitted. They would be offered a discount on the congestion charge if they use the system.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As technological ability increases, the ability to be controlled from afar increases. This development certainly isn't unexpected. The OnStar technology already has the ability to track a vehicle in a manner cost-effiiceint enough that it is readily available. So actually controlling the vehicle seems the next logical step. Many US 18 wheelers and rental cars already have boxes that record the driver's actions and limit the maximum speed. Parents can purchase tracking units to be placed in their teenager's car.

Although the system can be overridden "to avoid hazard", I wonder about the liability of the company when a related accident DOES occur. The initial trial was only 20 cars, so the true safety of the technology can't really be determined. This may be easier to institute in urban areas. The infrastructure costs wuld be enormous for rural US areas. The potential use for nefarious purposes is boundless.

The bad news: Big Brother will be with you on the commute, no more OJ style high speed chases, your "Fast & Furious" Vin Diesel dreams are dashed.
The good news: no more speeding tickets!

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Big Brother has been in your Car for years...and you didn't even know
Automobile Black Boxes NWO plot?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A "YES" vote from me....meets the criteria

The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it.

This will never happen...it's way too expensive.

A government-funded trial has concluded that the scheme promotes safer driving

And Gee..who figured that out?

Will yeah......and so does eliminating cars all together.
Why spend money on this high-tech trash....how about we just slam the repeat offenders, that will make a huge difference.

BTW, we can track speed now...it's called GPS

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Speed limiters are more dangerous then they are good in limiting the speed of vehiculs.

Alot of truck accidents happen because of speed limiters and cruise control and alot of accidents will happen with cars if speed limiters become mandatory.

Now these days, if your passing someone and see that a car is comming from the other side all of the sudden, you can hit the accelerator to pass more quickly and then get back to normal speed when your back on your lane.

With a speed limiter you'd need to hit the brakes or take your chances.

Taking your chances will result in a head on colision, the type of colisions thats probably 100x more deadly and causes way heavyer injuries then tail bumps.

I honestly rather have a speed ticket then to have both my arms and legs broken, insides smashed and heavy consusion because all I could do when all of the sudden a car comes from the other side is cross my fingers and hope I'm lucky.

Imho the UK is getting rediculous when it comes to controlling and limiting everything their citizens do. They are turning into the absolute and ultimate big brother society.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The bad news: Big Brother will be with you on the commute, no more OJ style high speed chases, your "Fast & Furious" Vin Diesel dreams are dashed.
The good news: no more speeding tickets!

Lets see no more speeding tickets = loss of revenue for the government

Loss of revenue == higher taxes and or more arrests for other offences.

The only thing you can be sure of is it will take you longer to get where you are going

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I hate this idea. I hate all mechanical and electronic means of enforcing speed limits. This is a very slippery slope. Of course, we've been on that slope for sometime and i guess it's too late. Say goodbye to those thrilling spontaneous moments when there's nothing but you and the road.

[edit on 2005/7/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So much for muscle and sport cars. Why don't they just make cars that won't exceed 65mph and alleviate the problem? I don't agree with any of this and don't believe it will happen.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Here is a good link showing just some of the cars that contain black boxes already and theses are just GM. Gives the data collected by each although I would assume there is more data collected then what they are telling us.

Ford also has similar EDR's (Electronic Data Recorder) estimates state approximately 25 million cars are now eqiupped and their numbers are growing.

www.seniormag.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ahh the wonders of my 1985 pos..

I dont care, I am not going to buy a new car even if it was given to me... I like my freedom how it is..

If I wanna go 150 mph on a road and kill myself, then it should be my choice. What I am saying is... The governement is starting to think for us now.. I guess the best solution is a slow ass car..

So much for muscle and sport cars.

Remember there is always a away around Technology.

And the best best is with an older car for now...

God I miss the 80's

[edit on 7/3/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Now we're seeing some real action - and direct control. Enough of this after the fact stuff. Stop it BEFORE it starts.

Brings to mind a movie called "Minority Report." ...Like WHY make big cars with big engines that go fast when there are speed limits? How 'bout we go straight to the top and arrest the CEO's who build the machines that not only set people up to break the law, but encourage them to do it too?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it.

This will never happen...it's way too expensive.

Sorry to break this to you, but it is on the way. But not only to break speeding, funnily enough me and some mates have already been talking about the plan that we heard first would result in a curb on speeding.

The government is going to start bringing in a scheme where instead of road tax we pay by the mile.

news.bbc.co.uk...

As mentioned in the article:

The increasing use of satellite navigation kits in cars will be utilised, Mr Darling said.

Funny this, I impress my boss by showing him how by downloading information from his in car navigation at work, I can show exactly what speed he was travelling at what time and where he has visited. While this is all amusing, even the guys at work are concerned how this information can be used against them. His SatNav wasn't even operating, just switched on and I can point out when he was speeding, who he visited, etc etc. Creepy huh?

He highlighted an insurance company's decision to pilot a pay as you drive car insurance which makes use of a satellite box in the car

This is referring to a Norwich Union Pay As you Go insurance scheme piloted a while back, I highlighted this to some of the guys at work and warned then how it will be used in the future, which it looks like it now is.:

www.fairinvestment.co.uk...

So as you can see, it is very, very, real and is already here. In fact it wqill take relatively little money and is already in place in a way. A lot of the ysstem we fit at work are GPS based Car anti-theft tracking systems, inbuilt Satnav with emergency rescue features, etc, all can be used for these purposes.. It's not a matter of 'This will never happen...it's way too expensive. ' ... it already is... sorry..

[edit on 3-7-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
DUPLICATE

[edit on 3-7-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Oops, nevermind, next time I read the whole article before I post

[edit on 3-7-2005 by PsykoOps]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wait till the first person gets killed because the car would not speed up in order to avoid danger.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Bump.

A good story - with a potentially HUGE impact on human technological society.

Also - does make one wonder about those planes and those towers, don't it? ...Personally, I always thought remote control was an option...

new topics

top topics

join