It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to WITD?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
sometimes i'm in the middle of a post on ATS and this msg pops up.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
sometimes i'm in the middle of a post on ATS and this msg pops up.

ROFLMFAO!!!!

dude, that is too funny

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
It's only warnable when it's not verifiable. I rest my case on this thread. He has limited mental faculties - and a button...that's dangerous.

true...

i hope he knows you're kidding

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It looks like the evil deed has been undone

"9890

Member"

Our li'l 9890 friend is back!

p.s. LMAO of lysergic!

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
YAY I'm back I was starting to get lonely without ATS. I have seen the outside world and it is not fun.
Well anyways are there any other threads about WITD in ATS? I would like to take a look at those if its not too much trouble. Unless thats what I got banned for, if so just delete this whole thing. I don't want any trouble, please don't shoot

I still have faith in the great ATS staff members. I was really scared

[edit on 3-7-2005 by 9890]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

This should keep you busy a long time.
Welcome back.

G oogle on WITD

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the links it looks like its full of information. THanks

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

i wonder why you will not receive a warning for this

this is a conspiracy

mainly becuase Val ans Springer are married....

onto what you said earlier, TSA...about Dragonrider...he wasn't banned due to the WITD crap, it manily had to do with abuse towards one of the admins, and as val said, he was also just a creep lol

-J

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I just read the one thread where Skeptic explains who he was. I've been reading some stuff that he was possibly a hacker and that he edited his post but I didn't know how he could do that without showing the edit sign. Now I understand this.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
mainly becuase Val ans Springer are married....

i know that

niiice avatar...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
For the record...

"Whispers In The Dark" turned out to be a "hacker" who simply found his way into an old version of the board (XMB 1.6) that existed on the same server as an updated and patched version (1.8+). His hacking skills didn't need to be exceptional, but his "social engineering" skills seemed exceptional. We was able to alter posts (without leaving an edit tag) see secret forums, and even read any U2U.

He was banned, and his posts erased.

His activity was, at first, very confusing as he seemed to leave no IP footprint in the traffic logs. As it turned out, I was only looking at the traffic logs for the 1.8+ version, not the old 1.6 version... so I missed how he got in and had his way with our database.

Some members, especially a moderator, refused to accept this logical, obvious, and simple explanation. The moderator become overly paranoid, assumed the management of ATS was in cahoots with the Government, and publicly accused us of all kinds of nasty things here, and on other sites. He was also banned.

That's all, a simple hacker able to weave an interesting tale by working on the existing paranoia of ATS members.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thank you for cleaaring all that up Skeptic and good Idea moving it to Board Questions for future refrence of anyone having questions about WITD. They won't have to go through all the research. It's quite interesting how someone could do all that he did. i.e. editing posts without leaving an edit tag, reading u2us, and mod only forums. It's amazing to think about what kind of software and hacking abilities are out there.

link   
WITD's posts were tangential and diversionary. He enjoyed talking about footballs and Jakarta and 1930s history, and making fake predictions about terror attacks on foreign soil by the post-hoc editing of posts to imply some form of pre-cognizance. There were many more than one member or Moderator drawn in by this H-O-A-X.

His hacking abilities must have been extraordinary. But that is not really something to be renowned for, is it, kiddies!

WITD RIPieces.

link   
i bet whispers is still laughing his ass off even today

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well after all the experiences I've had today involving this particular thread, and then learning the truth. I think I am over the phase of reading about WITD. It seems like just another hacker to me like everyone is saying he was.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 9890
I would like to take a look at those if its not too much trouble. Unless thats what I got banned for, if so just delete this whole thing.

Man, I told you not to go there!

Good to see you made it back.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Not to go where? Sorry I'm a little confuzzled

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 9890
Not to go where? Sorry I'm a little confuzzled

j/k w/you. Sorry, I've had one too many.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Oh, Can't say I've been there (my age and all
)but I get you now. Is this really how we want our Councilors behaving?
anyways it's good to be back. I was gone a couple hours and was already having withdrawls.
Is this really how we want our Councilors behaving?

[edit on 4-7-2005 by 9890]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
For the record II

WITD was not an expert hacker, but simply able to search on exploits for XMB 1.6 for which there were several. Exploits aren't even up to "script kiddie" level of hacking.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join