It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information on babies born Veiled ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I was hoping that someone here has information on babies born with a "veil" ( skin coveriing the face) and if there is any myths, superstitions or anything else, paranormal etc. concerning a child born with a veil. Does anyone have a link to site discussing this?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yup

First, the clinical side:

When the amniotic sac has not ruptured during labour or pushing, the infant can be born with the membranes intact. This is referred to as "being born in the caul." The caul is harmless and easily wiped away by the doctor or person assisting with the childbirth. In medieval times, a caul was seen as a sign of good fortune for the baby, in some cultures was seen as protection against drowning, and the caul was often impressed onto paper and stored away as an heirloom for the child. With the advent of modern interventive obstetrics, premature artificial rupture of the membranes has become common and it is rare for infants to be born in the caul in Western births.

There are so many mystical "explanations" for caul births.....here's just a few links I found:

Info on birth superstitions

Amniomancy

MSN groups message about cauls

As with everything....be a careful investigator. Much of what we're led to believe by superstition has no basis in reality.

Of course, that also means that there might be truth to some theories...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Dear Tinkleflower,
Great research! Thanks for the information it was exactly what I was looking for!

join