It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple of days late, but happy 50th B-52

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   

50th anniversary of B-52 delivery

by J. Manny Guendulay
2nd Bomb Wing Public Affairs

6/30/2005 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. (AFPN) -- Even though it recently turned 50, the B-52 Stratofortress is still capable of dropping or launching the widest array of weapons in the U.S. inventory. And its lifespan has been calculated to extend beyond the year 2040.

June 29 marked the 50th anniversary for the B-52, also known as the “Big Ugly Fat Fellow,” or perhaps more familiar to most -- the “Buff.”

It was June 29, 1955, when Brig. Gen. William Eubank, the 93d Bomb Wing commander at the time, delivered the first B-52 to the 4017th Combat Crew Training Squadron of the 93rd Bomb Wing at Castle Air Force Base, Calif.

The retired general recalled his introduction to the B-52 while at the same time bidding farewell to one of the aircraft it replaced -- the B-47 Stratojet.

“It looked a lot like the B-47 to me, but it drives more like a truck. This thing is heavy on the controls, but a real good performer,” he said describing his first impression of the B-52. “It’s a real good airplane, and I’m glad to see it’s still around.”...

Link to entire article

I bet B-52 will be around to see it's 70th.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
ORRRRSUM AIRCRAFT

With new weapons and avionics i think so.

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The last I heard 2050 is the expected retirement date of the B-52. I can't wait to see the B-52J after they develop it. It's about time someone took advantage of all that jamming power the thing has.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
after 2050 , instead of scrapping these magnificent birds;
i propose we mothball them in the airplane graveyard out in arizona
*in case they werent going to already*

these aircraft could come in handy in the "war of 2247 after our main battleforce is defeated by the asian unions new weapon the whatever"

its a possible future scenario
so keeping our old stuff just in case; is a good plan imo

it makes our military bigger too; but we wont have to spend any $$ on the jets because they will be mothballed
we may have to pay for security tho

i would cry if they scrap these jets
we need 2 keep them forever lol *if even in the smithsonian on display*

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
www.mcgirt.net...

Here goes a high price prize go down in a blaze of glory.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
around 90 years the plane would be in service? holy crap.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58The last I heard 2050

Really? I heard 2035-2045 at the very latest.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Yeah, they want to cut it down to 4 engines, maybe 757, or 767 engines to make range/efficiency improvements, and as they go into the depot, they'll redo the wing/internal structure material to get rid of corrosion, and other problems. Right now, if you walk down the back of a BUFF, you can feel the skin just wrinkle under your feet, so as they go to PDM they'll reskin them to correct that problem.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I can't wait to see the B-52J after they develop it.

A B-52J would be cool, but sadly, I don't think there are any plans for such an aircraft!

Unfortanatly, common sense does not rule in our government, politics does! However, 50 years of service is an amazing feat for any military aircraft, especially a combat aircraft. Hey give a ring in 2007 when the B-52 turns 52, then we'll have our party!

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Actually that's not what I'm hearing Ghost. They're going to turn it into a long range jamming platform with bombing capabilities as needed. The AF has finally realized they shot themselves in the foot when they got rid of the EF-111s and didn't replace them, so they've worked with the Navy to come up with a whole new EW book. It's going to rely on B-52Js, and EC/MC-130s at range, with EF-18s and E/A-6Bs in the strike package, with F-16s performing SEAD with them.

[edit on 11-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Actually that's not what I'm hearing Ghost. They're going to turn it into a long range jamming platform with bombing capabilities as needed. [edit on 11-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

Hmm! Where did you find this? I would like to look into it when I get a chance. This is the first time I've heard about it. You would think it would be in Combat Aircraft, but I don't remember seeing anything on it in any of the recient issues!

[edit on 12-7-2005 by ghost]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It was in another thread here actually. Someone linked to it. Pretty interesting read. I'll hunt it down and post the link for you.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
www.afa.org...

Here's the details of the B-52SOJ(J) and the future of the USAF AEW program.

new topics

top topics

join