It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bertrands wise words?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
We are faced with the paradoxical fact that education has become one of the chief obstacles to intelligence and freedom of thought.
Bertrand Russell

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
And what exactly are your thought about what this quote says.

I personaly am in between, I agree and disagree.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I agree with the quote. I have to admit I have not heard it before but it makes sense.

"Education" has come to mean a demonstrated ability to master certain tasks. While intellegence can be measured in so many ways.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I too am about 50/50 on this one.

Why I feel that its correct: Education, especially formal education (ie: public school) really only teaches one to conform. You must do what is asked of you when its asked of you. Anyone who deviates from that course within that system is punished.

Why I feel that it is incorrect: No matter how innately intelligent a person is, it will only get one so far. In order to expand ones mind, one must benefit from the experience and knowledge of others. That education may or may not come from a formal institution. In fact the smartest person I know, gained his knowledge through personal research and not a formal institution.

I guess it all comes down to what the definition of education is…..

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinta_ilfirin
Why I feel that it is incorrect: No matter how innately intelligent a person is, it will only get one so far. In order to expand ones mind, one must benefit from the experience and knowledge of others. That education may or may not come from a formal institution. In fact the smartest person I know, gained his knowledge through personal research and not a formal institution.

thats what we are all here for isn't it? well its what iam here for... to learn from others experences, knowleagde and opinons.
i think i do agree with him because when one was at school, there was no scope to learn outside the subject. it was once put well by a frenid of mine:

"education is just memroising facts for tests"

i agree with this, and when speaking to a techer one day found to my surpise that they are abosulty snowed under with paperwork (britain). why? education is ment to help one to learn and be passonate about ones subject; insead, one comes across a mathmatical situation with a freind, and ones frenid will say with pride 'i was never much good at maths!' shouldn't the person be devoloping their own learning with enthusiam?
i belive that education, like communism, works in theroy, but makes us all clones of each other.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
i apologize for my terrible spelling.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Tis quite alright- mine's not much better sometimes!

top topics

join