It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Reason Roosevelt attacked Hitler: To wipe out his WMD programs!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Recently, I'd heard rumors that this letter existed. I finally found these photocopies posted at
www.dannen.com...

A special thank you is in order to the Argonnes Natioal Lab for making this letter public.

Also, I can't emphasize enough looking at the timetable located here:

history.acusd.edu...

If any of this is true, then I conclude that the real we attacked Germany was to wipe out any possibility that THEY might get the bomb first, as opposed to us.

It seems unfortunate that we never captured even ONE GALLON of German Heavy Water to prove they were doing this work.

DAMN THAT ROOSEVELT

By the way, I'd put more stock in this letter than all the "Downing Street Memos" put together.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Toelint]

[edit on 3-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ok toelint, you know your going to be blasted for this right? Prepare to receive your comeupins

After nuclear fission was discovered in germany in 1939 i think, leo azillard realized that if a chain reaction could be sustained, immense energy could be released. He feared if hitler developed such a weapon the allies might not be able to stop him. To further his concerns, the germans had control of the only heavy water plant in oslo, norway. They also had control of the belgian congo, prime uranium ore. So szillard came to the US to try to get an american program going, unfortuneatly he did not have the reputation to catch the presidents attention, so he came to einstein and asked einstein to write the letter you have posted above.

Germany declared war on the US after pearl harbor in dec 1941. IT had nothing to do with "WMD's"

Also after the war, verner heisenberg(head of germanys a-bomb program)
was amazed anyone could achieve a nuclear weapon, allthough there is some controversy on whether he intentially sabotaged the german program.

And there you have it toelint, also remove unsightly lint from between toes!

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
xphilesphan - I thought fission was widely publicized by Bohr and Wheeler in Copenhagen, not Berlin.

Besides that, before American troops ever set foot in Europe FDR had already approved the lend lease act without knowledge of Szilards idea (circa 1934), even Einstein himself was unaware of Szilard's ideas and his work with Fermi.

I also remember reading in Richard Rhode's novel that the letter Einstein sent to FDR never made it to him, and that Alex Sachs gave an improvised speach to FDR, rather. The letter was meant to urge FDR to start a US nuclear bomb program, Manhattan Project, not meant to be a thesis to go to war.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Ok toelint, you know your going to be blasted for this right? Prepare to receive your comeupins

After nuclear fission was discovered in germany in 1939 i think, leo azillard realized that if a chain reaction could be sustained, immense energy could be released. He feared if hitler developed such a weapon the allies might not be able to stop him. To further his concerns, the germans had control of the only heavy water plant in oslo, norway. They also had control of the belgian congo, prime uranium ore. So szillard came to the US to try to get an american program going, unfortuneatly he did not have the reputation to catch the presidents attention, so he came to einstein and asked einstein to write the letter you have posted above.

Aha! So, by your OWN quote, we now have TWO physicists concerned about Germany's ability to develop an A bomb!

Germany declared war on the US after pearl harbor in dec 1941. IT had nothing to do with "WMD's"

Aaaah...I missed your point. Bush declared war on Iraq after the WTC was leveled by Saudis, living in America, with orders issued from Afghanistan. Where's the difference?

Also after the war, verner heisenberg(head of germanys a-bomb program)
was amazed anyone could achieve a nuclear weapon, allthough there is some controversy on whether he intentially sabotaged the german program.

And there you have it toelint, also remove unsightly lint from between toes!

By your statement, Germany's WMD program MAY HAVE been sabotaged from within. An odd maneuver for someone who was amazed that fission in a weapon worked at all.

By the way, did you know I wiped out my Athletes Foot fungus with Vinegar?

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Okay, appearantly I misread your quote concerning Germany and their waging war against us. Yes, Germany DID fire the first shot by declaring war. But in terms of logistics and manpower, Japan was a MUCH easier target...AND they attacked us already! Simple logic should dictate that a counter-attack against the Emporer was the best route.

(Is this beginning to sound familiar?)

Also, here's yet ANOTHER chronology of the history of fission:

www.aip.org...

I'm still looking up the work of Bohr and Wheeler. I'll post some links when I find them, okay?

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The Lend-Lease system meant that in many ways the US was already geared towards fighting a European war, while the lack of aircraft carriers meant that an offensive against Japan would be hazardous.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This letter certainly sparked the U.S. Manhattan Project that led to the development of the first atomic bomb. But I agree the link to the U.S. entering WWII is tenous at best, we would have still been attacked by the Empire of Japan had the letter never been written.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Is this political spin doctoring trying to draw some mystical, non-existent connection/parallel with wars against WMDs?

Sure smells like it to me.

(As other's have already stated) We were attacked by Germany's ally, Japan, I don't know whether we declared war on Germany or them on us first, but it is the natually expected next action.

Were there possible side benefits of getthing destructive technologies out of the hands of a mad dictator? Of course.
But the main reason is these dictatorships were attempting to over run the rest of the world including the US.

That is why it was the good fight.

Iraq had no WMDs, no supporting connection with terrorists or training grounds, no connection with 911.

That is why Iraq is the bad fight,

for no reason at all except to tie up the US military and squander 1/5th of a TRILLION dollars on Haliburton and other war profiteers.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Is this political spin doctoring trying to draw some mystical, non-existent connection/parallel with wars against WMDs?

Sure smells like it to me.

(As other's have already stated) We were attacked by Germany's ally, Japan, I don't know whether we declared war on Germany or them on us first, but it is the natually expected next action.

No no no no no....now YOU'RE twisting history. Our beef was with Japan. Whether you want to call Japan "Germany's ally" or not, they were not part of the axis. We could have gone to war against Japan and never entered the European theatre.

Sorry - you'll have to try again on that one.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You know I can't say for sure why I have this info nor where it came from, but it sticks out quite clearly in my mind that we did in fact go to War with Germany because of the Atomic Bomb. Atleast that was part of the reason. We were not about to let Hitler and the Nazi's be the first to create such a weapon because the common opinion was that they would be unstoppable once they had that kind of power. I don't remember the detail too well but it had lot's to do with their scientists, some of which also were concerned about Hitler, coming to the US or going elsewhere. Anyway, the point is that Toelint is, atleast in part, correct. I didn't even think that was a question in fact, until now?!?!?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The Japanese WERE part of the Axis Powers. They signed a treaty with Germany several years before the war started.

During the WWII, the Axis were formed by Italy, Japan, and Germany. The Allies were formed by USA, France, Russia, England and the rest of the world.

baby.indstate.edu...
Note the red in Japan, as well as Europe on the map

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The Japanese WERE part of the Axis Powers. They signed a treaty with Germany several years before the war started.

During the WWII, the Axis were formed by Italy, Japan, and Germany. The Allies were formed by USA, France, Russia, England and the rest of the world.

baby.indstate.edu...
Note the red in Japan, as well as Europe on the map

www.infoplease.com...

Sorry - you don't just take everybody that was on the bad side and call them "the axis" and everybody on the good side and call them "the Allies". If you want to re-write history you can do it that way! But if you want to stick with the formal historical record - that wouldn't be correct.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
They signed a mutual defense treaty with Germany before the war started. WHat do you call THAT then?

Germany had a mutual defense treaty with Japan so Japan
declared war on Britain.

Having denounced the disarmament clauses of the Versailles Treaty, created a new air force, and reintroduced conscription, Hitler tried out his new weapons on the side of right-wing military rebels in the Spanish civil war (1936–39). The venture brought him into collaboration with Mussolini, who was also supporting the Spanish revolt after having seized (1935–36) Ethiopia in a small war. Treaties between Germany, Italy, and Japan in 1936–37 brought into being the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis. The Axis thereafter became the collective term for those countries and their allies.

Treaties between Germany, Italy, and Japan in the period from 1936 to 1940 brought into being the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis.

I'd say that having a mutual defense treaty makes them allies, and if they're allies, they were part of the Axis powers.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You're right you're right you're right.

I got with Springer - the great WWII historian of the family - and he straightened me out.

This is what he followed up with - for what it is worth:

Roosevelt had committed to the American people to not send their sons to foreign soils to die. Shortly after that the crap started sliding downhill in Europe and he began communications with Churchhill in which he promised to never allow Britain to fall. But his hands were tied politically at home with the American people.

And so the conspiracy theory that he allowed Japan to hit Pearl Harbor in order to have a reason to enter the European theatre.

*sigh* All the evil man-hate war thingies get confusing to me.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I believe USA entering WWII was for their own financial gain. The US had paid out millions on loans to Europe during WWI which had been defaulted on during the 1920s. So if the US helped the Allies wipe out the Nazi threat, which they had to or else the Nazis may more likely have been victorious, they would have a stronger chance of getting that money repaid.

The UK government is due to finish off paying WWII debt to the US late this year or early next year depending if Britain takes advantage of the weak dollar. So I wouldnt be surprised in the coming years if UK starts paying back WWI debts to the US.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
And so the conspiracy theory that he allowed Japan to hit Pearl Harbor in order to have a reason to enter the European theatre.

Actually if you ask me, Pearl harbor was allowed to happen. Why? The New Deal was eventually going to collapse and nothing energizes an economy like an all out war effort.

We have a modern example of this to look at: Japan. Since the recession in thier economy / banking scandal / stock market collapse there have been multiple attempts to "prime the pump" with elaborate public works projects (Kansai Island, that huge suspension bridge whos name eludes me, et al.) yet it has not helped much.

I doubt highly that Germany had WMD's other than say gas but I doubt that as well. Rember WMD's had not been truly invented untill the Manhattan Project.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Valhall

Actually if you ask me, Pearl harbor was allowed to happen. Why? The New Deal was eventually going to collapse and nothing energizes an economy like an all out war effort.

We have a modern example of this to look at: Japan. Since the recession in thier economy / banking scandal / stock market collapse there have been multiple attempts to "prime the pump" with elaborate public works projects (Kansai Island, that huge suspension bridge whos name eludes me, et al.) yet it has not helped much.

I doubt highly that Germany had WMD's other than say gas but I doubt that as well. Rember WMD's had not been truly invented untill the Manhattan Project.

I just find it all a little too convinient that at the Potsdam Conference Britain/US and Russia got together to suss out a way to defeat the Germans who were stomping all over Europe when Uncle Albert sends them a letter saying the A-bomb was ready for use and that it could be used to defeat any enemy.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Dear all,

Come on!!!

Toelint is pulling your leg with all this.

The letter is authentic and so is the link but he is having you on with the forced comparison between WW2 and the current situation in Iraq.

How gullible are you people???

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Potsdam happened in 1945, years after Einstien's letter.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realist05
Potsdam happened in 1945, years after Einstien's letter.

but it was during Potsdam that the word was given that testing was successful and the weapon was ready for use.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join