It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Rep. Cunningham's Home Raided by Federal Agents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
After being subpoenaed by a San Diego grand jury earlier this week, Congressman Cunningham's home in Rancho Santa Fe was raided by federal agentrs yesterday, who broke in and carted off boxes of evidence. The Washington offices of MZM, Inc., the defense contractor whose owner Cunningham is suspected of having questionable real estate deals with in exchange for favorable consideration on defense contracts, were also raided. Agents even searched the yacht Cunningham stays on while in Washington conducting congressional business.

www.nctimes.com
Feds raid Cunningham home, MZM offices and boat

By: MARK WALKER - Staff Writer

Dozens of federal agents conducted searches at opposite ends of the nation Friday in a widening investigation of U.S. Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, breaking into his Rancho Santa Fe home and carrying away boxes of evidence from the house and from a contractor's office in Washington, D.C.

Agents spent hours combing Cunningham's home, an action his attorneys called "strong-arm tactics" designed to generate headlines.

Cunningham is under fire for his dealings with the defense contracting firm MZM, Inc. and its owner, Mitchell J. Wade, who bought a house from the congressman and then sold it for $700,000 less than what he paid.

Cunningham has denied any wrongdoing.

Also searched were MZM's offices, Wade's home in northwest Washington and his boat, which Cunningham used as a residence from April 2004 until recently.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is a shame to see a decorated Naval Aviator and Vietnam War air ace in this situation. I posted the initial story about the grand jury subpoena, but it didn't get voted up. This story just won't go away, though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It is a shame to see a decorated Naval Aviator and Vietnam War air ace in this situation.

Its a shame this decorated Naval officer couldnt keep his hands clean, and fight the greed.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
That's exactly what I mean. It looks bad for him, and people of his stature have a responsibility to all of us to serve as role models, whether they want to or not. If these allegations turn out to be true, and he is charged and convicted, it will serve as a negative model of how not to to take advantage of your stature and position for illicit personal gain.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Cool, it came off like you where defending him.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Nothing to defend yet, he hasn't been charged with anything. I think he will be soon, though. He had my respect as a great pilot and air ace, thats all. Its sad to see that he may be going down in flames like this, but if he deserves it, so be it.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
As much as I hate the Feds, Most the time they only come, when they have you.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
not the kind of behaviour that many would consider a war hero and an exemplary man in service to his country (this guy use to run the 'adversary' squadron in the top gun school) should be doing. Shame on him

[edit on 3-7-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Hang him high!...if he's found guilty
Boxes of evidence eh, this should be an interesting story to follow

Sorry to get off topic, but.....

Agents even searched the yacht Cunningham stays on while in Washington conducting congressional business.

Are my tax dollars paying for this? I mean, I understand the gov't paying for hotel and rooms if on official business....but does that include yachts?
Not saying it's true....just curious.

hammer him for that too....misuse of gov't funds.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
oh what a bunch of BS

cmon guys you can see plain and clear this guy was set up!!!

They DONT ARREST POLITICIANS !!!!

Unless...the politician wanted to go Agianst the Flow
He had to do something to piss the others off!

This guy is probably being framed!!
Dont you guys remember how Politics WORK????

We all know as a Cold Hard FACT that every single politician is dirty and corrupt these days
The senators are twice as guilty as this guy!
why arent they being arrested???
Because they do everything they are told to do

Lets find out what this Cunningham dude did to piss them off.
and Lets put the pieces togeather

Maybe if we figure this out we can Blow the Whistle!

Lets take the blinders off and start doing some research and find out what the heck this is all about.
Of course hes guilty; all politicians are; but Why are they busting him?

Almost every defense contracter is pulling a fast one; insider payoffs and overpaid contracts

Lets take the blinders off and start digging
we are going to find something really interesting down this hole guys

I got my shovel ill let you know if i find something

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
muzzleflash,

I had considered this might be some type of retaliation for Cunningham not going along with his instructions from the 'shadow government'. Personally, I hope that is the case. It would be great to find out what is really behind all this.

It looks like such a blatant abuse of power, maybe they had to go after him for being too obvious with his corruption. They can't have everyone catching on to their methods, you know, so they make an example of a bit player to keep the big fish in line, or something like that.

SportyMB,

From the story, its Wade Mitchell of MZM who was putting Cunningham up on the yacht, and all that was being paid for was dock fees and maintenance, no real rent.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
being a war hero means nothing when your a corrupt politician using your power to make money. It used to be that people only went into politics becasue of a moral obligation, and still moonlighted to makes ends meet. Now Politicans are among the most richest people in the nation

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Bump your old story Icarus- it's more relevant now. I'll ask a couple of people to vote on it for you if you U2U me the link, as long as everything in the submission is right.

I hate when people vote down perfectly good submissions just because they don't have the foresight to see what is developing.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the recognition. I did kind of see this coming, or something like this. I guess the original story wasn't juicy enough yet to get voted up. It surprised me how quickly it developed, with the Feds stepping in.

new topics

top topics

join