It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How China deals with Internet addicts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

THE 12 teenagers and young adults, some in ripped jeans and baggy T-shirts, sit in a circle, chewing gum and fidgeting as they shyly introduce themselves.

"I'm 12 years old," one boy says with a smile. "I love playing computer games. That's it."
Another boy, five years older with spiky hair, adds: "It's been good to sleep."

The youths are patients at China's first officially licensed clinic for internet addiction, a downside of the online frenzy that has accompanied the nation's breathtaking economic boom.

Their days begin at 6am on a machine that stimulates nerve impulses with 30V charges to pressure points. Other treatments include receiving a clear fluid through intravenous drips to "adjust the unbalanced status of brain secretions".

I know that Internet addiction can lead to serious issues, everything from social dysfunction to murder. But, is this really the right way to deal with it?

I bet no patient is told what is in that 'clear fluid' intravenous drip...and i'll bet it's not saline.
Article

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Hmmm, that does sound a bit strange doesn't it? Sounds like they are getting the cure for "ultra violence", not internet addiction.
I would think maybe some outdoor activities and excercise would be a better way to start.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
well there you have it

a corrupt govt torturing people for no good reason at all

whats next? people being locked up in a mental hospital because their addicted to cigerettes??

how about Rice? anyone addicted to rice were locking you up...

ya i know im exaggerating but still...if they apply their logic to other things it will show how stupid of an idea this really is

for gods sake let them live their lives however they want
they werent hurting anyone
they were Only playing with a computer

this is so stupid
and to think i was starting to give the Chinese credit for becoming a smart nation but doh, thats gone down the toilet

this is torture
if you locked me up because i played the computer
i would make you tie me up and gag me, i would resist with such fury

this is abuse of Human Rights
they are no better than america; heck they seem even Worse!!!
screw world govts they are so sick and corrupted nowdays

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't get it... why is the government dealing with internet addicts? shouldn't the family of the boys or girls be dealing with them?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

"All the children here have left school because they are playing games or in chatrooms everyday," the clinic's director Dr Tao Ran said.

"They suffer from depression, nervousness, fear and unwillingness to interact with others, panic and agitation. They also have sleep disorders, the shakes and numbness in their hands."

This is nothing more than group therapy. You people are over reacting.
Addictive personalities, if not junked out on the internet, would be junked out on the next thing
available, which would probably be opiates in China, and god forbid they discover the opposite sex, their addictive brains would end up stalking and hurting someone.

The "electric shock treatment" thing can be and is bought in stores to relieve muscle spasms and tension, there are also medical equipment of this nature for repairing severe muscle/bone/tendon damage.
I have to assume that none of you has been to a chiropractor? They have such electric shock devices, weirdest thing you ever felt, but you then leave the place pain free, without drugs!

My wife actually owns two of these electric shock gizmos for her chronic shoulder pain.

I prefer cannabis for mine, but when I can't afford that, and the pain makes sleeping, eating, and thinking impossible, a half hour of zaps gets the blood flowing in and out of the trouble spot
and the pain goes away.

These electric shock things are not like the shock therapy used by American psychiatric
institutes to essentially electronically lobotomize millions of people. Its not severe at all,
in fact, they turn down the voltage and frequency until there is almost no muscle reaction at all.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer

"All the children here have left school because they are playing games or in chatrooms everyday," the clinic's director Dr Tao Ran said.

The "electric shock treatment" thing can be and is bought in stores to relieve muscle spasms and tension, there are also medical equipment of this nature for repairing severe muscle/bone/tendon damage.
I have to assume that none of you has been to a chiropractor? They have such electric shock devices, weirdest thing you ever felt, but you then leave the place pain free, without drugs!

(bold text added by me)

Legalizer, i agree with you regarding electric shock therapy within the areas of physiotherapy ect. But, i still would like to know what medication is being administered through the intravenous drips to some of these patients.

Officials would not give any other details about the medication.

CNN

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think they should call this condition..."reality-sclerosis" to make if official...

A little time off will cure it for a while...unless drugs are given...

Than they would to worry about addiction to the drug as well...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The drugs administered are probably anti-depressants, mood stabilizers.
Internet addicts are most likely bi-polar to some degree.
There could also be nutritional suplements in the drip, because the net-junkies
probably have not been eating much.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Standerd Chinese procedure: Brainwash the masses to your way of thinking, through any means possible. You support democracy, they try to turn you into a "correct thinking communist" by locking you up with no food or water in a dirty little cell for a few years.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer

"They suffer from depression, nervousness, fear and unwillingness to interact with others, panic and agitation. They also have sleep disorders, the shakes and numbness in their hands."

This is nothing more than group therapy. You people are over reacting.
Addictive personalities, if not junked out on the internet, would be junked out on the next thing
available, which would probably be opiates in China, and god forbid they discover the opposite sex, their addictive brains would end up stalking and hurting someone.

My wife actually owns two of these electric shock gizmos for her chronic shoulder pain.

I prefer cannabis for mine, but when I can't afford that, and the pain makes sleeping, eating, and thinking impossible, a half hour of zaps gets the blood flowing in and out of the trouble spot
and the pain goes away.

These electric shock things are not like the shock therapy used by American psychiatric
institutes to essentially electronically lobotomize millions of people. Its not severe at all,
in fact, they turn down the voltage and frequency until there is almost no muscle reaction at all.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Legalizer]

So now it's "group therapy" to put a kid on a drip to change his way of thinking? I don't think so man!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
well there you have it

a corrupt govt torturing people for no good reason at all

whats next? people being locked up in a mental hospital because their addicted to cigerettes??

how about Rice? anyone addicted to rice were locking you up...

ya i know im exaggerating but still...if they apply their logic to other things it will show how stupid of an idea this really is

for gods sake let them live their lives however they want
they werent hurting anyone
they were Only playing with a computer

this is so stupid
and to think i was starting to give the Chinese credit for becoming a smart nation but doh, thats gone down the toilet

this is torture
if you locked me up because i played the computer
i would make you tie me up and gag me, i would resist with such fury

this is abuse of Human Rights
they are no better than america; heck they seem even Worse!!!
screw world govts they are so sick and corrupted nowdays

Why are americans such hypocrits??Wanna talk about fat people
drug addicts, federal corruption, stolen elections, split society....
on and on.

Gimme a break, you always have to have an enemy, if its not russia its Iraq,if not iraq its Iran, if not Iran its North Korea, if not nkorea its China,
if not China its russia again.Its an endless and pointless GD loop.
When do humans (and especially americans) finally grow up and see this BS for what it is.
POINTLESS!!!

And you guys are talking about it like its all normal because thats the way its always been.

We pathetic humans are the cause that this is a sad world, maybe its for the best that we nuke the hell outta each other.
we dont deserve anyless imho.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
WOW... Lucky me I don't live there...

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Dang, am I ever glad I don't live in China! My addiction to ATS would subject me to electroshock therapy.

motionknight, I'm curious, are you advocating this type of treatment, or just upset with muzzleflash's post?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
That sounds like something out of "Clockwork Orange"

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I could see MMORPGs those things are to addicting i had to stop playign them or i would of been brain washed and out of money. Two years is to meany playing them almost all my free time. You need electro shock for that. But for just the Internet nah... haft my job requires me to be on the net all the time so at home and at work.... that would be to much theropy for me.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You guys obviouly know nothing about China~

"Standerd Chinese procedure: Brainwash the masses to your way of thinking, through any means possible. You support democracy, they try to turn you into a "correct thinking communist" by locking you up with no food or water in a dirty little cell for a few years."----you should be a imginist!
that's killing me hahahahaha~

China has very serious problem of internet addiction. Not only kids, but also college students. From 5 years old to 25 years old. There was a few kids who constantly playing internet game for more tna 24 hours then suddenly died~and some of them had fight because of internet game which causes death. Many of their's schoollife is ruined. They got poor grades, some suicide (in my college before) because they couldn't graduate from college.
China education system is different from US, once you get out, you will alomost never get in again. Not so many chances. And every family only have one child, so a child is the hope of one family
It is good to give internet addition child therapy treatment, and it's not like what you imagine.
I know you Americans are good at imagination!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
wow.. ive known people on MMORPG games that stay up for days to be the first to get to a level.

top topics

join